Costs of setting up in the UK

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Oink oink, Jul 1, 2015.

1. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Exactly.

2. gapjumper

gapjumper Intentionally left blank

5. The person running the club is skilled in martial arts, not web design etc.

3. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

6. The person running the club has a full time job in addition to teaching and doesn't have time to update their website very often.

4. Oink oink

Oink oink New Member

I think you guys just assumed I was going to do Sports MMA.

My idea is for it to be stand up disciplines only as the hall will have hard flooring.

Guys I understand you have your doubts about me setting this up and I appreciate it as there will be a problem you provide I haven't got a solution for yet. However I still feel I'm in a good position to pull this off especially with my experience in marketing.

I'm guessing there are no websites that show the rules and regulations and all the things I need to setup.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2015
  5. SWC Sifu Ben

SWC Sifu Ben I am the law

And what are the first things you need for marketing:

Know your product inside and out → you don't
    Know your market inside and out → you don't

6. Oink oink

Oink oink New Member

The challenge I'm having at the moment is working out how to go about recruiting instructors. As I'm not looking for certified instructors, just experienced fighters this is a tricky obstacle I need to get over.

7. bassai

bassai onwards and upwards ! Moderator Supporter

This tells us everything , good fighters don't always make good teachers.
    I'd seriously rethink this if I were you.

8. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Tbh, looking for experienced fighters you need someone who is retired. Anyone currently fighting won't be looking to teach anywhere else unless you made it worth their while. You also need to figure out what you mean by mma. Mma is a competitive format. Whilst it's not necessary to compete you do have to have classes that abide by the rules of mma. So having a hardwood floor would mean by definition you are not teaching mma. Which is lying and that's not cool.

9. Dead_pool

So stand up only, not sports, that's non contact kick boxing for SD, not MMA.

Good luck finding MMA Fighters who will want to put there name to that.

10. Count Duckula

Count Duckula Valued Member

Why do you feel there WILL be students?
    They will magically appear?
    They will come because you have a better website?

The quality of the website says nothing about the club or what they do, and if you base your decision on a website instead of actually going there and taking a look, then that is just silly.

11. Count Duckula

You are looking for qualified instructors with a business plan that has absolutely no numbers, and no basis other than 'omg, students will flock to this'.

So... this is not tricky. This is downright impossible. Because you won't find qualified instructors if you cannot convince them they have a realistic chance of getting paid.

12. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

Which is a complete oxymoron :p

13. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

That's like saying 'I was only going to do Sports tennis' or 'sports football' or 'sports basketball'. MMA is a sport and what you are describing here has absolutely nothing to do with MMA.

If you go ahead with this you will lose a substantial amount of money.

14. Count Duckula

s an aside, do you have any qualification to work the self defense angle? Are you experienced with the legal issues? de-escalation, awareness and scenario response training, etc?

15. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

Where did non contact Kickboxing for self defence come into the equation?

16. Dead_pool

Non "sport mma" with no groundwork for SD. Sounds like Non contact KB to me.

17. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

What other sort of MMA is there?

18. Avenger

Avenger Banned Banned

Why can't you start small, teach yourself, see if goes anywhere, and if you get enough people expand.

19. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

From the look of earlier posts, I assume he's not actually qualified to instruct the class himself - he was looking at hiring instructors to do the actual teaching.

20. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

How do you make a small fortune teaching martial arts? Start with a large one.