How kung-fu got me my dream job

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by JFawkes, Aug 26, 2014.

1. JFawkes

JFawkes New Member

Hey everyone, I wrote this article for my blog a couple months ago, just thought people here would find it educational. Earlier this year I landed a pretty sweet job at an ad agency, and I beat out a lot of older, more experienced candidates for it. Partly that was because I interviewed well, but it was my black belt in san soo that actually got the initial interest and really impressed the boss.

I think this could be useful to anyone here who's looking for a new job and needs a way to stand out better, and you can adapt the same tactic with hobbies other than martial arts. Full explanation in the linked article.

[personal advertisement removed]
    tl;dr: Telling people you have a black belt in kung-fu can get you a job. Don't underestimate the power of a hobbies and interests section on your resume.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 27, 2014
  2. ned

ned Valued Member

Hardly a revelation - don't give up the day job (at the 'ad agency') if this spam
    is anything to go by :rolleyes:

3. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

I didnt know that a link to a site is permissible on MAP after so little amount of posts

That all said, I was past on a job when I mentioned martial arts

It all depends upon the person doing the interview

4. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

Ya, sorry Fawkes, but a link to generate your own business is frowned upon under the TOS. Maybe you could rewrite the same blog it into a suitable post, though, or summarize the salient parts into a post.

5. Wildlings

Wildlings Baguette Jouster

I thought threatening your employer was illegal in most countries? :yeleyes:

6. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

and i would see that on a resume and could give a darn. means nothing, has nothing to do with anything. i would actually ding the guy for wasting space on his/her resume if i saw that.

great, so you've worked out long enough to get a black belt. big deal. unless the job you're going for is instructor in the martial art you have a belt in, means jack.

7. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

What's amusing is this thread now appears above his blog in Google.

Spamming on MAP is quite often a poor advertising choice.

8. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

I tell people not to put it on their resume because there's a much higher chance of it putting off an employer than helping. Last thing you want is an employer imagining you turning up to a meeting with a client with a black eye and a bit of tissue stuck up your nose.