Nachi's Log

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by Nachi, Apr 23, 2015.

1. Nachi

Nachi Valued Member Supporter

Ohoho! Thanks for the compliment! ^^ But you better stop before I get spoiled :D
    Yeah, I could have been worse off, but I certainly could use some diet (if I had some will in that, that is :D).
    Since starting my karate journey, I without a doubt put on some muscles, but still. Those athletes were probably taller (or more muscled)? :)

2. Travess

Travess The Welsh MAPper Supporter

I am seriously looking forward to this one too - Not necessarily because of the Kata itself, but because I have spent the best of 2.5 years on Seiyunchin, and am definitely feeling the 'itch' to start working on a new Kata...

Question: (Which I am sorry if I missed the explanation of, somewhere within this thread)

You seem to have Sanchin listed in just about every update, and I wondered if this was something you were doing in your own time, or if your Sensei was very hot drilling it at every class?

Regards

Travess

3. Nachi

Yep, I probably won't be practising Shisochin much, as I should work on Saifa and Seiyunchin now, but I really like how Shisochin looks ^^

No problem. It's something I'm doing in my own time, usually before I go to sleep. Senseis usually say Sanchin should be practised every day, so I thought I'd try, because it's a difficult kata. As I'm usually doing only one each day without a 'warm up', I'm not doing especially the breathing with full power - so that's something I'll need to work on. With this I simply hope even one kata a day can perhaps help me get the 'feel' for it a little. In the beginning it was hard for me to synchronize all the movement, the tension and the breathing. Which is something I think I got better at :) Or at least I hope so :D

4. Travess

Travess The Welsh MAPper Supporter

Very commendable! Sanchin, whilst a very intricate Kata to master, is still a fairly easy one to find the time / space for, as it not only has very few individual techniques, it also requires very little room to 'perform'

Sadly, my words are empty, as to date, I have not given Sanchin the time it deserves - Something you have maybe inspired me to change... (Maybe! Lol)

Clearly you have a very good understanding of the deeper aspects of Sanchin, which whether you realise it or not, is a big part your progress, and something that will aid you in bringing all the above points together.

Travess

5. Nachi

Yes, indeed, there's definitely not much space or anything else needed to practise Sanchin :)
    Not sure about my real understanding, but I try to think of the the things that I was taught. The kata looks so simple, but is so difficult! (For me, at least). I have also trouble with the posture, but that something I think I've definitely gotten better at or understood a bit more during my practise :)

Oooh, it would be so cool if it inspired you! :) I'm usually bad at forcing myself into some solo routine, but a single Sanchin isn't too bad :)

6. Nachi

Thursday 22.1.15:

18:30-20:00 - Beginner to intermediate adult class:

Sensei somehow came to a conclusion that his trainings lately are mostly technical and not physically engaging enough. So he warned me not to eat much before today's class.
    - forgot what we did for a warm-up, it was probably something rather short, if there was any
    - stretching
    - Circuit training - 12 people => 12 "stations" - 45 seconds for each, 15 senconds to relay and move to the next one:
    - burpees (I wasn't in a hurry, so I did only ten)
    - heavy bag - kicking
    - crunches (usually around 30)
    - jump on a lying heavy bag, jump down, 2x knee strike
    - Makiwara - 20 punches for each side
    - Shomen uraken uchi - strike softly into a hanging obi to not move it much
    - ab wheel rollout (knees on the floor) - my first time doing that, managed around 12. I could go surprisingly quite low, but when rolling back, I could feel not too comfortable tension in my back. One of the senseis advised to tighten and use belly muscles, so I tried, it was better, but still didn't get the knack for it
    - plank
    - Yokomen uraken uchi - the same as before wiht the belt, but from the side
    - Horse stance + the three basic blocks
    - Mountain climbers - this was surprisingly perhaps the worst
    - Lying on the back, keeping the legs slightly above floor
    - Punching bag - hand techniques/elbows
    -----three rounds of these, always 45 s work-out, 15 s rest; for the last round the last 10 s all techniques with kiai-----

- stretching
    - 120 tsuki in the air
    - 110 tsuki while standing the whole while (around 2 mins?) in a horse stance
    - 110 tsuki
    - 190 tsuki in a horse stance
    - stretching

20:00-21:20ish - Advanced class:
    - Only three students today
    - Sensei listened to my request and we practised Sanchin several times, I got some pointers, but upon examination I think my stance passed (woohooo! Yes, that terrible stance I always struggle with - I tend to think I can't possibly get my back straight since it's not too straight to begin with :D). All the time practised with a more or less relaxed breathing, not all out (because of the previous work-out)
    - we also practised the original, Kanryo Higaonna's Sanchin :)
    - And for the rest of the class we again did Renzoku kumite Saifa (because one of us didn't have the opportunity to try, yet)

Last edited: Jan 22, 2016
  7. Nachi

Friday 23.1.15: 1 Sanchin (not a great one, because of the cold I can't breath through the nose all too well :D)

Saturday 24.1.15:
    No training today, just hmm, a bit of a karate-related journal entry :)

Today, with three friends we went south close to the Austrian border to a, well, not exactly shop, rather a factory where karate gis are made. We were in contact with the owner and finally got an appointment for today so we could come and try on a few gis we asked for in advance. Only problem was, he only had about an hour for us and it was snowing the whole day, so the traffic was.... well, slow. Highway with some snow on and only paths cleared by cars, not to mention the local roads that are not being cleared in winter. We met two cars in a ditch by the road and the radio spoke about overturned lorries on the highway. Luckily, although the journey took 3 hours there and 3 back, we were able to make the trip safely.
    The owner was kind and chatted with us for an hour and a half, although we came exactly after the appointed time. Also we arranged with a sensei from the sister dojo in the south that we'll get a nice 20% discount on his club, because we are, well, almost his students :)

Each of us bought a nice new gi. I picked not a traditional cotton one, but one from a functional material meant for kumite I saw on one of the sister club's senseis and he only had words of praise for it. I don't compete, but wanted a light gi that's easy to wash and that I won't be too hot in, simply because of our upcoming trip to Okinawa in summer. So far I only own one gi and that's probably not enough for two weeks of training in the super humid and hot climate... Since I also want to get a traditional nice Shureido in Naha, I can afford to have one not too coventional, lets say :)

Anyway, it was a nice trip, the snowy landscape was very pretty, despite at times it was hard to discern where the road was and where it wasn't :) We were planning to stop by the benefactor sensei's place for a tea and a short chat, but the owner who knows where sensei lives thoroughly warned us that the roads there are trouble and we might as well get stuck somewhere, especially since it was still snowing. So unless we'd like to stay the night at the sensei's place, which shouldn't be a problem, we better rush back before it gets dark. And we realised it would really take too much time anyway,... even without the visit, I was out for 10 hours before I got home. But hey, it was a nice trip and I've got a new gi! :) It looks a bit like a pajamas, but who cares? :D

1 Sanchin

Last edited: Jan 23, 2016
  8. Nachi

Sunday 24.1.15: No Sanchin. I've still got the cold and the past two days' Sanchin proved to me that practising it now feels detrimental, so I'll wait till the cold gets lost :)

Monday 25.1.15:

Change of plans, different sensei today -> no need for me to hurry for the kids' class.

18:30-20:00 - Beginner adults:
    Trying out my new gi. I was told this gi was made also to be specifically good for jodan (head height) kicks, so I hinted to sensei it wouldn't be bad if we practised kicks, but I was refused :) Maybe next time.

- It was an especially playful lesson today
    - Quite a bit of time before and after stretching was spent with a slapping game - in pars attacking and defending, targeting specific areas; then with a person attacking, the other defending standing with back to the wall.
    - Game or reflexes
    - 3 rounds or a battle to untie sparring partner's obi and stand up with his obi above your head first. This is always a lot of fun :) I lost once (I hate people with longer arms that keep their distance :D). Well one time I had untied the belt of my partner and was lying on top of her. I wanted to get up and to prevent me, she would hold me around the neck and waist with her legs. I got up with her hanging on me, but bent at the waist. And sensei wouldn't let me win until I straightened into a proper upright position. :mad: I so couldn't do it also because I couldn't stop laughing. A friend making fun of me - see, you are bent like that and can't straingten up, 'cause you're not deadlifting and doing this and that... I'd say that was the biggest motivation to hold the partner closer to me and straighten up. Without much energy left for the last round :) It was a lot of fun, though :D
    - And another strenght based game for the last 15 minutes
    - At the end, sensei, who announced she was tired, announced: Great, so today was about there games for relaxation - and she said this to us all with faces red, sitting down fairly tired out... :)

- Today I didn't get to the self-defence class either, because I should work more on my diploma thesis before we go to the mountains later this week.

No Sanchin today, either

Last edited: Jan 25, 2016
  9. Nachi

Tuesday 26.1.15:

A little weekness appered today apart from the cold, but nothing significant and I had a children's training, so I went to the dojo anyway.

16:00-17:00 - Mini class:
    - Only two boys, one of whom came after half the lesson was gone. So basically just some games, a bit of techniques in a game :)

After that I wanted to study a bit, so I went to the dressing room where it was more quiet and ended up lying on the floor feeling a slight headache and a bit more weekness.

18:00-20:00 - Advanced class:
    - Warm up with types of game of tag and some battle-like thing
    - stretching
    - All kata we know once: Sanchin, Kanryo Higaonna's Sanchin, GKI, GKN, Saifa, Seiyunchin
    - After the Sanchins I started feeling a little worse, my voice turned hoarse. I knew it's not good to do them with cold! :D
    - Practising all three renzoku kumite (GKI, GKN and Saifa) - all 4x ukete and 4x semete
    - Sensei picked three bunkai (one from GKN, one Saifa and one Seiyunchin) to practise in pairs, then under pressure. They delt with the same kind of attack, so each person was consecutively attacked by the others and had to use always one of those three. I skipped on the kiai, because I couldn't speak much anymore, but sensei noticed and asked why. I explained, but didn't want to slack off so went with the kiai.... and lost my voice almost completely
    - stretching
    - And throughout the training we always did some bodyweight exercise 25x, so it was 3x25 push-ups, 2x25 sit-ups, 2x25 horse-stance squats and 25 V-ups
    After today's training I really don't feel too well. I was fine in the morning, but after the the Sanchin it went down the road and now I feel like some sickness is trying to get me.. I need to get healthy by Thursday, though :) I suppose a lot of tea is in order :)

Two Sanchins during training were enough, no additional Sanchin at home.

10. Nachi

Karate Mountains

28.-31.1.16

No Sanchin these or previous days. Indeed, I didn't get any better, had a terrible cough throughout, but still decided to go as I shared a room with three people who weren't exactly healthy, either.

Four of us were planning to go cross-country skiing, but as it turned out, the snow just disappeared... :( Well there was some left high up, but it was more ice then snow and wasn't good for skiing anyway.

So Friday when most people went skiing on the hills, five of us wanted to make a foot trip. There was a harsh wind, though and we weren't feeling well, so we just drove to some nice looking places and performed kata together. I skipped Sanchin, though. We crosses the Polish border and somehow got lost there, so the whole trip ended up being over 100 km :D

There was a 2 hour long evening training. It was more technical, so I participated, although not feeling too well, so I took it easy. Sensei then paired me with a friend from another dojo, who's back hurt, so we took it easy together. And I got a bit better. Then practising San Dan Gi Ichi was ok :)

Saturday morning our group decided for the foot trip. My cough was still terrible and I did feel like having temperature and felt week, so I skipped on it. Another a bit sick friend and a third one, who hurt his leg skiing yesterday decided to borrow sensei's car and drive to the final destination of the walking group, which was a restaurant. :) Their trip seemed difficult, so they used the opportunity, hopped in the car and went back with us. Six people in a car, as is becoming our tradition.

The evening training was supposed to be more difficult and 3 hours long, so I thought I'd skip. But sensei said we would also practise our highest kata. So we made a plan. Sensei and one student would find a different car to bring them, me, sick friend and the one with hurt back would take sensei's car again and come for the last hour, that we spent practising Seiyunchin. Senseis weren't checking on me too much, though, and paid more attention to others, who are also from a different dojo.

I had a great time with all the people (group of 17) around, although it's a pity I wasn't feeling too well, woke up in the nights running to the bathroom to try and cough my lungs out :D I'm still glad I went though.

11. Nachi

Monday I spent in the bed. The cough is not that aggressive, but not that better either, I've got temperatures and some other stuff because of the weaker immunity, I suppose. And I had to skip training! Nooooooo! :bang:
    Since it lasts so long and not getting better, I went to see a doctor. I was given antibiotics and advised to stay in bed for another week, since it looks like this could even be a beginning pneumonia....:bang: ... I guess the fun ends here :(
    Now I only wish I got better till Saturday for the first karate ball our sensei is organizing... :(

Last edited: Feb 2, 2016
  12. Heraclius

Heraclius BASILEVS Supporter

I've go a temperature. It's singular in English.

13. Nachi

Haha, thanks. I was careless here :)

In Czech we sometimes say someone has "high temperatures" when it lasts for some time :)

14. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

more importantly, though, are you feeling better now? :p
    can't become the epitome evil if you're convalescing in bed rather than training sanchin :evil:

15. Nachi

I know, you know? :D Well, I certainly do feel better. The cough is much better. In fact, just yesterday there was a karate ball - a great idea sensei came up with. I felt fine, danced, but spent half a day sleeping today :)
    I still feel a bit weak, but next week I'm back to training (hopefully)! :) I have antibiotics till Thursday and I'm not sure how well they go with much training, but I will probably find out :D

Can't stray from the evil path you planned for me for too long, after all, can I? :D

Last edited: Feb 7, 2016
  16. Fish Of Doom

[​IMG]

:p

17. Nachi

lol :D

Monday 8.2.15:

Sooo, I was planning to rest today to be fit for tommorrow's advanced class, but sensei couldn't make it to the kids class, so I went and after spending an hour to go to the dojo and hour on the training, of course I won't go back without trying the adult class :) Sensei repeatedly told me to take it easy or not to exercise, but assist with correcting mistakes, but I tried and it went well :)

16:30-17:30 - Beginner children class:
    Some fun exercises for a warm-up that we didn't do for a while, short stretching. Then a lot of tsuki for technique, fun and endurance. I gave up taking it easy, did everything with the kids to motivate them, but they kept asking for breaks for drinking, making tired faces... After practising a basic block, we put them in pairs and a friend, who teaches with me did San Dan Gi Ichi, while I took the two youngest brothers (around 5 and 7 I think) who are new there to try to practise with them or do whatever, but they kept running around or out and I felt really helpless. It was towards the end, though, so we skipped a game they kept asking for.

18:30-20:00 - Beginner adult class:
    - warm-up with punches and kicks and avoiding them in pairs
    - Junbi Undo
    - Various drills to practise the (beginner version) of the first bunkai for GKI kata; footwork, solo, in pairs slowly, with power, then in pairs with mitts and variation; solo in the air while changing directions and that plus getting up from lying and lying back down
    - 120 mountain climbers somewhere in the middle (if that didn't kill me I thought nothing would :D)
    - stretching

- I was reminded to take it easy or slow down, because sensei probably knows me and could guess I won't, but the training wasn't overly hard and I managed just fine :) Though afte the getting up and down my head felt a bit heavy and spinny, so I decided not to go to the self-defence class. It's been a while since I've been there, actually....

And since I'm back to training and I'm fine, it's time to resume my Sanchin training as well, so 1 Sanchin today :)

18. Fish Of Doom

19. Nachi

Tuesday 9.1.15:

So although yesterday's training went well, I had again somewhat worse cough in the evening but everything was alright then. Until suddenly today my head started spinning and I felt a bit nauseous... returning to bed...

According to the doctor I should have lied in the bed until today, which I certainly wasn't, although I kept physical activity to a minimum. I hate to admit she might have been right :D Anyway, sensei kindly agreed to take the mini class in my stead today, so no training for me today again :( :bang:

New goal: Get fit for Thursday's training! Since I'm going to miss today's advanced class, I'd like to make it at least to the next one! :)

20. Nachi

Thursday 11.2.15:

18:30-20:00 - Beginner class:
    - warm-up with a kicking game of tag with obstacles
    - stretching
    - Hojo Undo (it's been a while!) :)
    - kongoken: 15 lift up + shiko dachi; 16x steering wheel + shiko dachi; only 10 push-ups today - I was doing them with a bad form, so I wasn't pushing it. It may be because of the illness or perhaps that I haven't done this in a while.
    - makiwara - various strikes 10x and probably 100 punches for each side
    - chi-ishi - trying to push myself a bit
    - heavy bag - series of 10 strikes/kicks/whatever
    - 3 kg kettlebell - work-out with legs

- between each round 100 tsuki/ura-tsuki/kagi-tsuki/shotei-tsuki/awase-tsuki - towards the end although I didn't feel tired, my head started spinning again, like it often does these past two weeks, so I took it easy for a little while

- 4x30s hitting pads - first the various tsuki, then elbows, then kick, then everything

20:00-21:30 - Advanced class:
    - 1x Seiyunchin kata
    - the whole class was about teaching us all 12 of Seiyunchin bunkai. I knew (a bit) perhaps half of them, the other half was new. It will be hard to remember them well, since thre are so many, but some are really nice :)
    - one of the bunkai includes a throw. A little strange one that I couldn't grasp. I was trying with a bit taller guy and didn't know how to use my hip. Sensei came, tried to help me do it slowly and caught the friends arm and leg while I was holding the other limbs to help me hold him safely. We were then lowering him down when sensei and I hit our heads as we were bending down and because of that distraction and as we were laughing, trusting the other to hold the friend (who was too heavy for me anyway), and both of us let go :D He didn't really thank us :D
    - 1x Seiyunchin

Still no Sanchin these days....