How big is Karate in Japan as a spectator sport?

Discussion in 'Karate' started by qazaqwe, Dec 21, 2014.

1. qazaqwe

qazaqwe Valued Member

I'm not very knowledgeable about Karate, but i was wondering what level of public interest Karate tournaments had in Japan? I've seen at least one example of a fairly large scale spectated tournament being held by the k1 organization in the early 90's, but wasn't sure if that was more an oddity than the norm?

2. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

K1 isn't karate, it's kickboxing?
    Stadium events though :)

Last edited: Dec 21, 2014
  3. qazaqwe

qazaqwe Valued Member

No, i know, but in the early 90's k1 used to host something they called the karate world cup, which appeared to be Kyokushin rules in a boxing ring.
    [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nN1rDFYuE-0"]K 1 Illusion Karate World Cup 1993 - YouTube[/ame]

4. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

Technically it's a competitive format for Seidokaikan Karate.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2014
  5. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

I thought it was a kickboxing origination founded in 1993 (of all years) by the founder of Seidokaikan Karate?

Last edited: Dec 22, 2014
  6. qazaqwe

qazaqwe Valued Member

It was, but in the first years of it's existence (1993-95) it emphasized it's roots in full contact karate by holding regular matches under what appeared to be a kyokushin rules set, a number of high level karateka also competed under the k1 kickboxing rules set as well. (Andy Hug, Francisco Filho, Glaube Feitosa)