A safe effective weapon disarm that does not hurt the attaker

Discussion in 'Self Defence' started by Tom bayley, Dec 19, 2014.

1. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

Both of those could lead to far more serious consequences than leaving a red mark on a pupil's arm.

2. FunnyBadger

FunnyBadger I love food :)

Perhaps that wasn't quite the right thing to say but I think if they did sack you because you hurt a pupil disarming them as they stabbed another pupil then you would have definate grounds to appeal against that decision.

It's the actions of the other pupil that caused the situation and it's not any fault of the teacher, they are merely reacting to the situation.

3. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

I know what you mean, I wasn't having a pop. :)

I think that the issue would be that whilst you might have acted perfectly legally, you might not have complied with the terms of your contract and therefore might still be subject to disciplinary action.

Mitch

4. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

A safe effective weapon disarm that does not hurt the attacker?

This is a Philosophers stone

5. Alansmurf

Alansmurf Aspire to Inspire before you Expire Supporter

Ideal scenario for a chi ball or Dim dum mak .....

:)

6. matveimediaarts

matveimediaarts Underappreciated genius

I suggest looking to see if pepper spray is withing the law and school guidelines. doesn't always work against adults and 'roid ragers, but I reckon it's effective on school age kids.

7. Hannibal

8. ned

ned Valued Member

A sneaky kick to the "crown jewels" should give him something to think about and won't leave a visible mark-use a rolled up copy of the Times educational supplement(or similar)to fend off/distract the little hood.

9. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

However such disciplinary action would likely make them an accessory under the terms of the criminal law act, and would certainly be a violation of the human rights act, and such policies would also be in breach of the health and safety at work act.

10. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

Therefore you should knock the scissors down into the top of your thigh and sue your employer to the extent that you never have to work again :D

11. FunnyBadger

FunnyBadger I love food :)

Pretty extreme but certainly has its merits . . . Now where do I find a 'yoof' with some scissors ?

12. Hannibal

Manchester City Centre

13. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Fixed that for you Hannibal.

14. John Titchen

John Titchen Still Learning Supporter

15. John Titchen

In 2008 I wrote a short article on the topic of restraint in schools which I sent to the then secretary of state and shadow counterparts. This article predated the subsequent policy documents from the department under both the Labour and Conservative parties.

Here is part of that article:

16. Tom bayley

Tom bayley Valued Member

To me it seems that most teachers do not believe that their establishments would back them up. This lack of belief can have potentially life threatening consequences. If a teacher thinks that acting could cost them their job, or possibly their career, they will hesitate. Hesitation in a self defense situation increases the risk of injury, as JWT points out above.

One possible solution for this is to decide in advance to trust your own judgement and join a union. Trust that if you ever have to take physical action you will be doing it for the right reasons. Trust that, if you have to, you will be able to justify your action in an industrial tribunal. If you make this decision, and believe it, you will free yourself to act when necessary.

17. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

With very good reason. Because they probably won't!

18. John Titchen

Understandable, and yet current DfE guidance is very clear on the matter.

Martin Pilkington, the head of ATL (Association of Teachers and Lecturers) legal services stated about PI and restraint training: “the provision of training is essential and should be compulsory for all relevant new and current members of staff, and should be updated and refreshed on a regular basis.”

19. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

My missus has never had any training with how to deal with violence at all. And she's been a teacher for 15+ years.
    Luckily she works in rural school with barely any violence at all but she's also worked in inner city Nottingham (when that city was known for gang and drug related shootings) and didn't get any training then either.
    Schools aren't concerned with protecting teachers (or educating pupils as far as I can see).
    Their only concern is the A-C grade stats at the end of the year because that, seemingly, is the only thing government cares about.

20. Remi Lessore

Remi Lessore Valued Member

I think that's pretty good biomechanically and will open the student's hand. You first answer being to plant him with a chair makes me wonder if you are not a km student.
    Still it is a but excessive given the attacker's age and the general bluntness of school scissors.
    Be careful pushing his wrist as described as you could hyper extend it. ABH. But he should behave better, shouldn't he?
    If someone can grab the other arm, pushing the tip of his thumb into the base if his thumb can cause enough pain compliance to encourage him to give up. Again, slowly.