Costs of setting up in the UK

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Oink oink, Jul 1, 2015.

1. Oink oink

Oink oink New Member

Hello

Where can I go to find the rules & regulations and the licenses and all the health & safety procedures I need to follow in order to setup a mixed martial arts class?

The idea is to hire a hall and a couple of martial arts instructors for a couple nights a week.

2. PointyShinyBurn

PointyShinyBurn Valued Member

If you can persuade someone to insure you, someone else to hire you the space and avoid doing anything that might amount to criminal negligence then that's it, unless you're teaching children.

3. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

Although my personal opinion is if you're hiring a hall, you're not prepared to be running an mma class.

4. Oink oink

Oink oink New Member

Where do I go to find out how to get insured?

5. Oink oink

Oink oink New Member

I understand that. It'll be pad work and stand up disciplines at first.

6. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

There are lots of insurance companies out there, you could try Martial Guard for starters.

You need to research this very carefully as your house/future may depend on it. Do not take the word of anyone on here, get legal advice.

As a bare minimum look at personal indemnity for all coaches, peer to peer for all students and whatever else you need as organiser.

Good luck but be careful :)

Mitch

7. VoidKarateka

VoidKarateka Valued Member

I run a kids karate class a few nights a week from a local dance studio. Here's what I have.

Insurance, I'm insured for personal indemnity while coaching karate (with a string of bolt ons such as basic kobudo, partner drills, karate based SD etc.). I actually got mine done through my instructor, I asked to get me insured for everything. That costs about 90 quid a year. I'm not sure how insurance goes with MMA, it may well be higher because of the perceived increase in risk. It may even be worth you looking at doing a dedicated single skill based class to begin with (if you're doing striking, go for something like MT or Boxing) before looking at getting a bunch of other instructors in.
    Students are also required to have person to person insurance as well. They have a short grace period and if they're going to contiue long term then they need their own license. Along with the insurance they get their own little license book that keeps track of their progress. If you're not running the classes directly then you'll definitely need each individual instructor to be covered.
    As for overseeing other instructors, that's well outside what I know. I'd defer straight back to what Mitch said and seek solid legal advice.

I needed a DBS check doing. Since I'm working with children it was an absolute must. If you're going to have a place with anyone under 16 training in it, you'll need this doing. You usually need to get these done online via 'umbrella companies' these days because of our great laws. You can't have a DBS done personally for yourself, it has to come from a registered company. The costs vary but there's loads online, for a complete enhanced disclosure you can pay anywhere from about 50 quid upwards.

Certification. I dunno about MMA specifically but I've got a 14 year traceable record of training and achievement for Karate. At the MMA gym I go to, I know the instructors there have some form of qualification respective to whatever it is they're coaching (as well as solid competitive experience behind them). It also helps to have a background in coaching as well (I've been coaching kids in schools for years, so that experience is carried over to coaching kids in my own class).

Rent. Space costs money, different places charge different rates. I pay my fees every month in advance so I know I'm paid up and good to go.

Equipment. I've spent a small fortune on gear, both for my own personal use and club use. I get the majority of my stuff from MAR in brum. They offer trade prices for clubs and have fantastic customer service. So I'd advise finding a solid, consistent supplier for gear. You'll need it, your students will need it.

Advertising. You'll need to advertise your classes. You'd have to sort leaflet drops, possible web advertisement, you can even use social media sites to advertise. Somewhere along the line though, you'll have to fork out for some sort of advertisement.

Be prepared to lose a hell of a lot of money to start with. I dunno about running a school as a business but if you're starting from scratch you will most likely spend a hell of a lot more than you make to start with. So if you're setting up to make money then you're probably going to want to speak to the bank as well as any legal advisers.

Hope that helps.

8. gapjumper

gapjumper Intentionally left blank

I think you need to know WHY you want to set up a class.

Is it because there is not one nearby that you can join?

Is it that you have extensive training to pass on to others?

Is it as a business opportunity?

As for insurance and certification, sadly anyone can get it if they call themself an instructor it appears. They may ask for a copy of your cert but whether they actually will know what you send them is legit is anyones guess.

9. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Why would they work for you instead of doing it themselves? Especially if your not backing it with a full-time location etc.

10. Oink oink

Oink oink New Member

Hello

Some very thought provoking questions here.

There is not one of the type I'm going for nearby and when there are, they are few and far between.

It is a business opportunity but not a wealthy one, just enough to earn a side income.

I won't be asking for self-confessed instructors, I'll be asking for experienced fighters.

Are there no websites I can go to for the rules and regulations I need to follow?

11. Oink oink

Oink oink New Member

They're guaranteed a wage and they don't have to pay for the hire and equipment.

12. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

And how will you pay for hire and equipment when you have a couple of instructors and no students?

MMA gyms aren't Karate classes. Without a permanent location, proper equipment (which is hellishly expensive) and some established fighters fighting out of the gym, you stand basically little chance of surviving in an increasingly competitive landscape.

13. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

This exactly why I plan on being world champion before I open my own gym.

14. Oink oink

Oink oink New Member

Why do you feel there will be no students?

This is why you choose your location wisely and ensure you will not be a part of a sport or competition.

The martial arts scene is not competitive at all. One of the most difficult things I've had to do is browse the net for all the clubs in the areas I could travel to. Then when you find a site, there's a good chance it hasn't been maintained and is not up to date.

Only 3 websites were modern and working properly. Everything else is through directories and old school marketing avenues.

There are lots of classes, but in order to stand out you need to ensure that you are teaching the self-defence and not the sport and hire instructors who are welcoming, extroverted and sociable.

15. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

MMA is a sport. You are walking into this completely blind. Do you know anything at all about MMA except that it stands for Mixed Martial Arts?

16. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Teaching self defence is a whole different ballgame to teaching MMA.

Mitch

17. Southpaw535

What he said ^

Also, if you are trying to teach MMA as in UFC MMA and want to market it as such I can promise you the lack of competition won't be a free pass. Of all the crowds you could market to you're picking one of the worst in terms of people with high standards. You'll get some people through the door, but anyone serious will pass over a hired hall with unknown instructors without a pause.

And from the tiny bit you've given so far on here, god help if you plan on trying to get into the competition aspect.

If you're not doing any of those things then I'd recommend not marketing it as MMA.

18. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Not many fighters will do that, unless there nearby anyway and then they would be better off teaching privates at their current gym.

If your going to be the money man, your going to need plenty, aside from Equipment and mats, qualified experienced teachers will charge 30 to 50 quid an hour plus travel to teach. So 2 hours four times a week is 240 to 400 a week easily.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2015
  19. Southpaw535

Add in how many gyms will want their fighters teaching at another, potentially competing, gym

20. John Titchen

John Titchen Still Learning Supporter

I disagree. The MA scene is fiercely competitive. The reasons why so many sites are out of date or poorly maintained are:
    1. The club is successful enough not to have to bother with online advertising
    2. The club is part of an association that markets predominantly by fliers
    3. The sheer number of cubs competing for students mean that low numbers mean that the club cannot afford to maintain/update/employ someone to do their online advertising
    4. Due to competition in the market the club has gone out of business