Costs of setting up in the UK

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Oink oink, Jul 1, 2015.

1. E-Rocker

E-Rocker Valued Member

Oink oink,

1. If you want to make sure you're running a business legally, hire a lawyer with relevant experience.

2. Why do you want to do this? It's not clear from your other posts, and if you're starting a business, you better have a clear idea of why, as well as how.

3. Do you, personally, have any experience in martial arts? If so, what it is?

I'm just trying to understand, not be a jerk. Initially you said you wanted to teach MMA. Then you said you wanted to teach SD. As has been stated, those are totally different kettles of fish. A person can be a good SD instructor without being a martial artist, and some martial artists are lousy SD instructors. (Of course, there are also some people who are great at both).

One reason I'm unclear on your MA experience is that you don't seem to understand what "MMA" means in contemporary usage. Yes, if you take the words literally, "mixed martial arts" is a mix of any two or more arts, but as currently used, it refers specifically to the sport of MMA, which has a particular rule set, strategies, training methods, etc.

Fellow MAPers, I think you're being a little bit unfair in assuming it would be "non-contact kickboxing" since they won't have groundwork. I've done my share of medium-contact standup sparring on hardwood floors.

2. Avenger

Avenger Banned Banned

then it sounds like he thinks this is a way to make money, should hire someone who knows what he is doing to run the numbers for him.

3. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

Generally true, but there are some exceptions. Many are McDojo-esque at the very least, but I assume there are some places which make a lot of money while also offering excellent training.

Very rare though, and I expect almost impossible without either sacrificing quality and focusing on mass marketing or spending many years running a loss until the reputation is sufficient to earn a profit due to the highly successful track record (likely impossible without competing at high level).

4. Oink oink

Oink oink New Member

I meant Mixed Martial Arts so a variety of arts such as Thai boxing, Krav Maga etc. I understand in this small world people assume the sport but I made the mistake of assuming people would see I meant mixed martial arts. My bad.

You're too black and white my friend. Opportunists do not spawn left right and centre. I'm a digital marketer and having been involved in martial arts over 6 years I have a good understanding of what types of instructors I need and how to bring in the students.

An opportunist puts 2+2 together. I want to see if you're an opportunist and able to work out exactly how I'm going to go about it.

Most intelligent response so far. This is something I will look into and the first problem I've encountered since opening this thread of absolute carnage. Maybe it was because I was too vague but that's for a very good reason.

Good response however it is not always about making a profit. Many times it's ok to break even so long as you follow the rules. You start off small, gain experience then expand.

1. It's looks like I'm going to have to do that. Doesn't seem to be information on what I want which is actually a good sign. The opportunist has spotted something good here and hopefully most will remain sceptical.

2. I don't want to be too clear and I am receiving warnings which I appreciate however the full story hasn't been told and I don't plan on telling it. The original plan was to just find the information I needed.

I don't consider this a waste of time as the responses I've seen here remind me of how grateful I should be about how I turned out. Imarine how much good they could do if they decided to find alternate paths after a dead end. Rather than just say "it can't be done turn back".

3. This the Internet. I'd be more surprised if all internet people understood each other's viewpoints.

I was using MMA for mixed martial arts. The only difference between MMA and SD is that one has rules and the other doesn't. Those rules being anything from the ring to the gym.

My background is that of all the 8 locations I went to, 2 of those locations were not affiliated with an sporting organisation. I am currently going to a sports discipline and although the instructor is fantastic in both his personality and teachings, I'm not so keen on the restrictions and the fact that I can't take all of what I've learnt in the past into the gym as it's not allowed under the rules.

5. Oink oink

Oink oink New Member

Yes the mass market problem is something that will be avoided. It's important that the location is suitable for the niche audience it is targeting.

Don't put limits on yourself my friend. Innovate, alternate and fly the cape.

6. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

I don't put limits on myself. I have a very fulfilling career - martial arts are my hobby and one that I'm happy to teach as part of giving back.

7. John Titchen

John Titchen Still Learning Supporter

Actually that's an inaccurate simplification. Good self defence instruction is full of rules. Any SD instructor that claims otherwise is really not worth training under.

8. Oink oink

Oink oink New Member

You won't put limits on what you enjoy the most and what feel you are very good at.

9. Oink oink

Oink oink New Member

We were talking about official rules. I understand that there should be a structure and it shouldn't be a free for all teach this teach that as no one will ever learn unless it's organised.

10. John Titchen

John Titchen Still Learning Supporter

I am talking about official rules. All good self defence should be taught within the framework of the host country's legislative system so that students are less likely to use force inappropriately. Only a fool works in an 'anything goes' 'judged by 12 rather than carried by 6' framework. In many respects good self defence is even more rule bound (while still incredibly effective) than sporting disciplines. You might want to read this thread:

http://www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=107937

11. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

Wants to open MMA gym, but doesn't know (or seem to care) what MMA is. The Internet is still capable of surprising me.

12. Oink oink

Oink oink New Member

Do you have any official proof?

13. gapjumper

gapjumper Intentionally left blank

Now I'm thinking you are just trolling!

Lol

14. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Very informative post.

Mitch

15. Count Duckula

Count Duckula Valued Member

So even if all you want is break even: how will you convince qualified people who can already do what you have in mind in other clubs, that they will get paid at the end of each month, when you have no students, no club, and no real business plan?

To cover all monthly cost and pay salaries, you need a large amount of students. How are you going to get them, and why should they choose you over any of the other clubs that have a proven track record?

It seems you have no SD qualifications, nor teaching qualification. Let's turn the tables around: why would those instructors need YOU to open a club, when you have nothing of value to contribute?

16. Count Duckula

Count Duckula Valued Member

SD is very much rule bound, with the rules differing by area, and there are a lot of things leading up to a fight and in the aftermath that will determine if you go to jail or go home, no matter who started the fight.

I have seen only 1 instructor in all these years who not only covered the legal aspects, but also the context, how to react, what to say, how to be seen to behave by witnesses, etc.

You seem blissfully unaware of all of this.

17. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

lol so you want to make money out of martial arts from being the middle man but dont want to start a competing club in a set location with multi level marketing in fight gear, supplements and fitness facilities (how martial arts gyms actually make decent money)

goodluck

18. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Yes he does - vast experience and qualifications

What do you have? We know "a clue" isn't there so hopefully there is something else

19. E-Rocker

E-Rocker Valued Member

This whole asking-for-help-while-playing-close-to-the-vest-with-details thing is not very effective.

20. Oink oink

Oink oink New Member

Good points. They need me because I have experience in marketing. I also have the fund to set up and the courage to pursue something not many may be bold enough to pursue.

The middleman doesn't not need the qualifications in the expert field he is advertising. The middleman needs to understand how to bring the expert to his consumers.

Breaking even means I don't take any profit. The hall and the instructors is part of the expenditure.

One of the best ways to get a large amount of students is to pick a smart location for the venue. Of course I don't want to go into detail of how I'm going to go about pursuing this but rest assured I am in a very good position to do so.