180 degree flip

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Rebel Wado, Oct 25, 2014.

1. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

I've gone back and forth on many things in the past, but some things I've completely taken a 180 degree flip on.

For example, back in 1984 I was first introduced to someone teaching boxing in a karate class. The karate instructor was also a golden glove boxer.

I thought it was so disrespectful to be practicing boxing in karate class that I left that school and trained for a few years elsewhere. :eek: However, I missed Goju, so I eventually came back to train.

Today I think teaching boxing in karate class is not disrespectful and I even would encourage it. This is a 180 degree flip from back then. :cool:

Anyone else care to share on a 180 flip?

2. itf-taekwondo

itf-taekwondo Banned Banned

Well everything (and I mean everything) in my martial art appears to be technique wise shamelessly taken from other arts anyway, so I didn't even bother to comment. That just means it's more complete:)

Last edited: Oct 25, 2014
  3. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

My whole attitude to martial arts.

I used to train for "self defence" / learning how to fight. These days it's just about having fun and learning a skill. I was incredibly negative towards any art that was "fancy or flowery" and wasn't based around high percentage techniques. Capoeira was one of those arts, even though I respected the skills of the players and thought it was beautiful, there was no way i'd train it or even call it a martial art. I had a go at a charity event and was hooked!!

We all have to grow up at some point. :)

4. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

I use to think that traditional martial arts was te only way to defend yourself, and that there was no skill in MMA.

Yeah.....

5. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

I think my approach to martial arts has always been like a pendulum, swinging back and forth in my opinions. I've had long bouts where I preferred the performance side (katas/forms) to fighting, and vice versa, going as far as to say I would never do one or the other again. :rolleyes:

I disliked grappling for many years. But I got a healthy respect for it (and even enjoyment from it) when I first got into judo, and later no-gi. I'd like to get into it more seriously at some point but I have a number of injury woes I have to sort out. My health has been the biggest driver in changing my mindset. Right now, and for the forseeable future (couple of years at least) I'm focusing on non-contact elements (i.e. katas/forms) because that's all my body can take.

The one thing I never changed my opinion on is wing chun. :p

6. raaeoh

raaeoh never tell me the odds

Politicians. I used to take them at there word.

I used to be anti union, now I am pro union concept.

spinning back kicks were kool and useful, then I learned how slow they are, now I know when to use one and they are kool and useful. Did that one a 360

7. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

I used to care what people thought about karate and got involved in all the TMA vs MMA nonsense that made up 90% of MAP's content six or seven years ago.

Since then I realised that it doesn't really matter what people on the internet think about your choice of martial art. You do it because it's right for you, not because you're either misguided or enlightened.