DH and Martial Arts

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by mdgee, Oct 22, 2014.

1. mdgee

mdgee Valued Member

Through my searching for a school someone pointed out an instructor I might be interest in that is in the area where I'm moving. However, I have a problem with this guy's dental hygiene. Maybe this isn't an issue in the East but it falls under "make the best first impression" here in the West, don't you think? Wouldn't the same apply to body odor or bad breath? How can you work with someone who smells and you can't stand to be around? Oh, and to top this, the person I'm speaking of is very well known in martial arts circles and even writes articles for martial arts magazines. My issue is that I keep seeing videos of this man, who I'm sure can afford invasalign, and his teeth are a turn off. I'm not speaking of one or two teeth that have jumped out of alignment but an entire mouth that clearly needs serious help. How would you deal with this issue? Would you skip this instructor completely or suck it up and take a few classes while making sure to not at the neglect of a 70 year old's mouth? Sorry if my post seems harsh. I'm not trying to hate on this guy. I know he's a nice chap and am told he's a joy to be around. I've just seen too many articles of his and videos where's he's teaching and his teeth are a huge turnoff. Thoughts?

2. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

You're not going to bed with the fellow, his teeth are his business.

3. mdgee

mdgee Valued Member

True, but I'm giving him my money. If I go for a job interview and haven't brushed my teeth in days should I expect to get that job? Likewise, if someone care's so little for their own dental hygiene it tells me that they care very little for their health. I consider martial arts to be connected with health and well being. Does this make sense? I mean, I'm not looking for an excuse to avoid him but he's making it hard for me not to with all of his videos.

4. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

Are his teeth as good as Shane's?

[​IMG]

5. mdgee

mdgee Valued Member

Bozza, pretty close. He's got more teeth but they're all crooked, yellow and nasty.

6. Bozza Bostik

I'd suggest you train with him. You could learn a lot....you know, about being shallow and superficial. ;)

7. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

Is he English?

8. rne02

rne02 Valued Member

You're giving him money to teach you MA not to teach you DH. If he has bad breath that's one issue, but that doesn't appear to be your concern. This is purely an issue of appearance, which isn't connected to the skills his is imparting.

But if it bothers you that much, go elsewhere.

9. mdgee

mdgee Valued Member

Johnno, he's American.

10. mdgee

mdgee Valued Member

Bozza, it has nothing to do with shallowness and everything to do with the culture I grew up in.

11. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

Hold on. His teeth just look odd? They aren't nice and straight?

Get over it and train, you've no idea why they are like that or what circumstances might be going on in his life.

12. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

Buy him a gumshield :)

13. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

Despite regular brushing and dentist appointments to fix them my teeth are terrible. I have four teeth that never initially grew, I went through homelessness, drug abuse, and God knows what else in my life, and sadly my teeth are not nice perfectly straight pearly whites. I'm paying for that now. I have two missing teeth from fighting and replacing them would cost the better part of £2000 each!

It's not my teeth that got me where I am today. Anyone who ever has a problem training with me because of how my teeth look can quite frankly go and train elsewhere. And that's putting it politely.

14. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

If he's got a hook tooth and were practising biting then I would be concerned, otherwise your just being a bum bum

15. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

If his teeth put you off training with him you aren't serious about training

Take up macrame instead because you clearly aren't cut out for martial arts

16. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

I really find myself wondering - is this a serous thread or a troll thread?

Could someone really be so shallow as to judge the merit of an instructor by their teeth? :dunno:

What are an instructors qualifications? Is his or her teacing style one that is a good environment? What is the atmosphere of the school like? How hygenic is the school itelf- the matts, the equpment- are they cleaned regularly? Do they have a good challenging curriculum and insist on proper technique before promoting someone or is it a black belt factory?

THESE are the sorts of things to be looking at when deciding if a school/ instructor is good - NOT someone's teeth!

I really am wondering if this is a troll thread or not. I can't believe someone even asked this.............:bang:

17. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

one of the most shallow initial posts i've read in some time.

i have a couple crooked teeth. and i'm never going to get them fixed. i also don't wear deodorant, so i smell too. i'm guessing we're not training any time soon.

18. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Cooked teeth, you don't know how lucky you are.

We used to have to live in a shoebox in the middle of the road.

We used to 'ave to get up out of shoebox at twelve o'clock at night and lick road clean wit' tongue. We had two bits of cold gravel, worked twenty-four hours a day at mill for sixpence every four years, and when we got home our Dad would slice us in two wit' bread knife.

And you try and tell the young people of today that ..... they won't believe you. :D

19. Bozza Bostik

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xe1a1wHxTyo"]Monty Python - Four Yorkshiremen - YouTube[/ame]

20. mdgee

mdgee Valued Member

aaradia, I have had an account here for awhile now. I am not a troll and this is not a troll thread. It was a legitimate question and I was just seeking a second opinion. We don't have to agree. In fact, I can accept your opinion as yours and keep my own. That's the way our world works.