Punching differences between styles

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by itf-taekwondo, Oct 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

That would be a good start, IMHO. Just include knees and elbows in the boxing training for defends and close in fighting combinations.

You might be interested in a perceived trend in western boxing that has been going on for at least 80 years. The proficiency of many amateur boxers has focused on the mid to short range punching (utilizing more the torso twisting and legs and hips for power). These are good methods for power generation, but some boxers (Dempsey for one), saw this as an issue. You see, the long ranged striking power methods from stepping (e.g. falling step, striking on the move, etc.) were being neglected. The problem is that anyone can generate decent power with mid-ranged punches... a skilled boxer with longer ranged punching power could tear apart a brawler or a wrestler from outside where they could punch. This was a reason why a hundred years ago, many times a boxer could defeat a wrestler in matches.

The problem with using stepping power is that the bigger the distance, the more good timing is needed. If you ever have problems timing punches, just get right up and grapple, then timing isn't gong to be as much a factor. Good timing can be natural, but it can also take a long time to develop... so many boxers are not developing this excellent timing with striking on the move.

Not all boxing is created equal these days.

This comes back to Aikido... the striking on the move used in Aikido requires developing the timing to make it work. It may be something of the same trend as boxing, with more focus on the more rooted atemi, the timing needed for striking on the move is not as well developed.

2. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Get a clue

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aObGLTfJa1w"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aObGLTfJa1w[/ame]

compare to this

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJkiwu_04dw"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJkiwu_04dw[/ame]

Now go away

Last edited: Oct 24, 2014
  3. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

So you're saying:

You're also saying that you use karate punches in your TKD:

So karate punches are boxing punches then?

Who knew, I was just a really lazy boxer when I took up karate! Wow!

4. itf-taekwondo

itf-taekwondo Banned Banned

No, ITF has both. We don't use karate punches in training, simply because they are inferior. I don't know if it's true of the original 1966 ITF or something which came along with competition rules and gloves, but in either case , modern TKD punches in ITF that are trained are western boxing, not karate.

How many times do I have to write this before people understand you can have type A) in patterns, Type B) in training - application.

5. bassai

bassai onwards and upwards ! Moderator Supporter

Maybe when you realise that the itf don't have a monopoly on this.
    Oh , and you do realise where TKD came from originally , don't you ?

6. itf-taekwondo

You are more than welcomed to show me a Shotokan school training boxing punches and hitting punching pads in a dojo.

7. bassai

bassai onwards and upwards ! Moderator Supporter

Meh , you'd be welcome to come to ours and do a bit , we were doing just that last lesson.
    I can't believe your dad would never have done anything like that with his grade and implied experience.

8. itf-taekwondo

My father had his front teeth punched out in the 70-80s. I don't believe they ever boxed. Watching karate today makes me sad however.

9. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Spar with Bassai, he'd be more than able to help you live up to your father's standards.

10. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

Well it wont be his front teeth :D

11. Heraclius

Heraclius BASILEVS Supporter

I'm curious about how much boxing punches get integrated into your training. When I did ITF (admittedly, not for a long time) we were encouraged to use boxing-style guards and punches in sparring, but all of the actual training was with the "traditional" TKD punch.

12. itf-taekwondo

Whenever I hit an object (pad, mits) with a punch, it's a boxing punch and that's what we were taught from day one.

Techniques such as knife hand strike and karate punches are only trained as patterns. When you hit pads, your telling me they instructed you to do karate punches?

Last edited: Oct 25, 2014
  13. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

I 100% guarantee you only think its a boxing punch

14. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Explain the difference between the two for me please.

15. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

How well do you find they integrate with the kicking and footwork of your style?

Could you give us a run down of what you use punches wise and are there any clips you can post?

16. John Titchen

John Titchen Still Learning Supporter

Yes.

I also do knife hand receivers against Thai pads and upward receivers against thai pads.

All those basic karate punches - the jab (gizami), the lunge (oi), the cross (gyaku), the uppercut (ura), the key punch (kage). All powerful core driven punches when trained properly.

17. itf-taekwondo

I wouldn't know since I never use martial arts when fighting for real, outside of rule sets. No way.

The training I do is all for fun and the conditioning.

18. Dean Winchester

That doesn't really matter.

Just apply my question to the contexts you are using it in?

19. itf-taekwondo

Works fine so far. Haven't been fully tested yet and is looking forward to it. I am still in the process of training.

20. Dean Winchester

Take a closer look at what I asked, perhaps you misunderstood.

"Originally Posted by Dean Winchester View Post
    How well do you find they integrate with the kicking and footwork of your style?

Could you give us a run down of what you use punches wise and are there any clips you can post?"

Could you tell is about how these punches work on a technical level alongside your style's kicking techniques and its footwork, for example the power generation and distancing used when taking into account the boxing punches you say you use. There are numerous aspects to it.

Also what punches do you tend to use, what are your favourites and in what situations do you use them?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.