Why do you love taekwondo?

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by brookieeto, Apr 19, 2014.

1. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

I defended myself more times than I can remember using head kicks yet I never focused on self-defence. Go figure. :D

2. Earl Weiss

Earl Weiss Valued Member

Well, the point I get from the above loud and clear is somehow you feel this has devolved into a Chang Hon TKD thing versus the rest of TKD which certainly was never my point nor mentioned by me.

The "Dancing in your Pajamas" is not a slam on patterns. It's a slam on all sorts of ineffective or low quality ohysical performance that is being accepted as good technique.

Example,: father and son from local school come to my class. Kid never kicks above ankle level and does not try to. I always try to give them a light hearted critique like "What are you kicking down there, litle babies". Dad tells me later old instructer never says anything about the kids doing better.

Yep there are lots of people who take MA for any number of reasons. I often say MA is like ice cream. Some like Vanilla and some like Chocolate that doesn't make one better than the other.

What is worrisome is when student feels they are learning effective self defense and the gaps in what they learn leave them vulnerable. What is worrisome is when BS boards are broken and the student and parent actualy think they are demonstrating a reasoneable amount of power or fortitude.

3. Earl Weiss

Earl Weiss Valued Member

Exactly.

4. Earl Weiss

Earl Weiss Valued Member

I would have to know more about the training. If they only used legal competiton Kodokan techniques then I would sy they are primarily sport oriented.

Any issue about it being a tremendous base for MA or self defense is put to rest by the likes of those like Rhonda Rousey.

5. kmorrisonnyc

kmorrisonnyc Valued Member

Having met Ms Rousey, I wouldn't mess with her... :eek:

6. mjl

mjl ITF Taekwon-Do (1st Dan)

For me a lot of it is about the sparring. I'm only 9th kup, so there's much to learn and enjoy the patterns too. I'm not a violent person, never have been, but I love to spar, and I think that's probably typical of Taekwon-do students.

I'm not a young person any more so for me it's a fitness thing, a social thing, and something I can learn with my son although for now he attends the separate kids classes.

My teachers are world champions, have great knowledge and I can't think of a single person at the dojang that hasn't been helpful to me, and that is worth a lot in terms of the enjoyment I gain from the sessions.

There's always at least one thing I come away with and try remember from a session to practice in advance of next time.

1st competition this weekend, can't wait :)

7. nefariusmdk

nefariusmdk Valued Member

Good luck mjl!!

Why I love TKD?? It's the fast and unstoppable kicks; especially the jumping and spinning kicks. A perfectly executed and connected kick can be a game changer.

Great example of how devastating a kick can be: check out some videos of the Turkish Samurai. Used to love watching this video back in the day.

[ame]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lnKp1eK7YgU[/ame]

8. TKDstudent

TKDstudent Valued Member

Correct!

9. TKDstudent

TKDstudent Valued Member

I love TKD simply because it has enhanced my life in so many ways!
    I truly don't know what I would do without it or who I would have become without it!
    ;)