How old were you when you started martial arts and what style

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by jfleshner, Jan 2, 2009.

1. Plusminus

Plusminus Valued Member

I started with the Wu Shu Kwan, which UK folks might have heard of, when I was 10. Took up Tae Kwon Do at 13, did some Wing Tsun parallel to that at 14, got into Bujinkan at 15. Been with that ever since.

2. cliberg

cliberg New Member

Hmmm i was the age of 9 and the reason why i started, was so i could be able to protect my mother( who suffered from massive anxiety attacks called "panic angst Disorder" being a 9 year old i just wanted to protect.

3. KLavoie

KLavoie New Member

I started at 9 in Judo.

4. Travess

Travess The Welsh MAPper Supporter

Started Wado Ryu Karate at the age of 8, when I was still living in Wales, which only lasted a few months (due to Family relocation to England) Then at 13 I took up ITF Taekwon-do, which I studied for several years, before finally finding my Home at the age of 34, in the welcoming (and oft times Painful) arms of Goju Ryu Karate - Where I remain to this day...

Travess

5. bodyshot

bodyshot Brown Belt Zanshin Karate

I started martial arts at age fifteen stuck with it till nineteen, picked it up again when I was twenty two put it back down at twenty four and picked it back up again at age thirty four and been going till now at age thirty six.

6. pseudo

pseudo Padawan

Started Shotokan Karate when I was 7 stoped when I was 12.
    Started boxing when I was 14 stoped when I was 19.

Tried a few martial arts in between such as Xing yi Quan, Aikido, and jujitsu. Non for very long.

Now im 27 trying to get back into shape, started Aikido and just waiting for something awesome to come my way.

7. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

Muay Thai at age 45 or 46 - left after a short bit to work on gen fitness and recover from Streptobacillary RBF.

Have taken up standard western boxing and that's more than a handful.

8. Heikki Mustola

Heikki Mustola Valued Member

Started MMA @ 20, bit over year ago. Half year later, started going to kickboxing training - every now and then. I wish I would've started sooner, but I am happy that I was an active kid so I am not that unathletic... I played football, went to the gym for a little while and was always on the move

We have boxing training and submission wrestling training as well MMA training, but I dont count them really, I think they are just part of my MMA training

I still go to kickboxing, but rarely: its in different town and I can only go there when my friend goes there (he gives me a ride), but he has now focused more on biking so I haven't been in kickboxing for couple of months

Would love to do MT someday, but currently not possible in this city

Last edited: Apr 5, 2014
  9. greg1075

greg1075 Valued Member

Judo @ 7 for a couple of years. Nothing nothing until I was 31.

10. afhuss

afhuss Valued Member

Aikido has been my answer for something relevant to a life long pursuit. I like most all martial arts, but gravitate towards ones with much energy and austere training. Self defense is never a priority for me (though I've defended myself with both aikido and karate techniques). I really do like the attention to detail required in sword arts, but usually my friends have to push me out on the mat to train in them...though I enjoy it when I'm out there. I really like judo and jujitsu for the competition (not so much beating others, but testing myself against another) and the complexity. Still, I always maintain my affinity for aikido. I consider that mostly due to my teachers.

Rely: karate at 9 years old. No formal kids class, but there were about four kids allowed in the adult class by invitation (sons of blackbelts or, in my case, my dad was the dojocho's close friend, plus my dad started training with me). I was 9-10 years old, sitting quietly in seize on a wooden floor, training with adults or the other couple of kids my age. Great old school training. Heck I even remember dojo yaburi that went down in the mid 90's. Actually my dad got his ribs broken during that event, and he never really went back to training after he healed. I quit in jr high, came back junior year, and my old dojo was also affiliated with an organization that did Iai, aikido, judo, jujitsu, and different karate...so I got exposure to that.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2014
  11. DragonMMA

DragonMMA Boards don't hit back.

I was 11 when I started both Kyokushin Karate and Brazilian Jiu-jitsu. I started learning shoot wrestling from a cousin's friend my junior year of high school and I've been studying Muay Thai for about 3 years now.

12. yorukage

yorukage Valued Member

Started at age 10 in Yang Po Karate in So Cal.
    Did a mix of others just to test them out when I quit Yang Po at 14 or 15.
    Joined Bujinkan at 18. In my 30s now

13. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

I took judo as a kid in England. Only briefly. And I don't honestly remember how old I was.

Started taekwondo in the States around age 13. Studied that exclusively until about 18 years old.

Started FMA next. I've been a mutt (focusing primarily on FMA) ever since. I'm 42 now.

Brief dalliances with archery, Shotokan, Western fencing, boxing and kickboxing, muay thai, etc. More committed relationship with JKD.

14. Maggie

Maggie Valued Member

16, KukSoolWon

15. Brigid

Brigid Kung Fu Mother

48, Kung Fu (long fist). Always fancied having a go, just never found the time before then.

16. bujingodai

bujingodai Retired Supporter

About 22 or so Bujinkan Budo Taijutsu

17. Gimpy

Gimpy New Member

9, kempo karate

18. Takoona

Takoona New Member

Hi all. Started Thai Boxing when I was 13. Done it for around 10 years on and off.

19. GoldShifter

GoldShifter The MachineGun Roundhouse

Started Kajukenbo at the age of 7 or 8 ... its real hazy when it began tbh. 10 years later I'm still practicing on my own because I'm in college now. Hopefully when I finish and get my degree and finish grad school I'd either be going into a TKD school and trying that out to enhance my skill set in kicks rather than just having a devastating roundhouse and going back to Kajukenbo to test for my 3rd degree :D

20. Flatfish

Flatfish New Member

Started Judo around age 10. Did that for 3-4 years. Tried Aikido for a semester in college but did not like the group very much. Then started doing TKD with my 5 and 7 year old kids at age 43. Been doing that for almost a year now. Not sure how long the kids will stick with it but I'm having fun.