San Shou Kuan

Discussion in 'Kung Fu' started by flat1985, Apr 21, 2014.

1. flat1985

flat1985 Valued Member

Last edited: Apr 21, 2014
  2. Wooden Hare

Wooden Hare Banned Banned

http://sanshoukuan.com/faq/

This is a great FAQ, imho. A very strong endorsement of their program, because when I read this, I want to train there...Northern Long Fist and Kickboxing form their base program. They support crosstraining, MMA, etc. Open and honest.

http://www.martialartsepsom.co.uk/Programmes.php#kickboxing doesn't look half bad either, seems like it might be a smaller more traditional program, but it also has a lot of positives according to what I read. They appear to base their program in traditional Tiger/Crane style combined with a progressive sparring program, so if the instructor is legitimate you'll probably get a good experience.

Ultimately both places offer beginner friendly introductory courses, so I'd recommend checking both out and going with your gut.

3. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

The first place appears to be re-branded Wushukwan and I'm somewhat turned off by the "traditional kickboxing" thing.
    Nam Yang have a very good San Shou program and produce some very tough fighters.

4. flat1985

flat1985 Valued Member

Thanks for the replys i thought that as well Ben thats why i think i will try Nam Yang and it is closer for me, Plus they say the trainer is an Olympic bronze medalist so surely that has to be good.

5. Wooden Hare

Wooden Hare Banned Banned

Maybe Ben knows, but I think this might be their lineage:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzUUkov1XE0"]Chinese Master Tan Soh Tin Fujian Shuang Yang White Crane Internal Art Demonstration And Interview. - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chZO1T0gtBI"]Chinese Master Tan Soh Tin Shuang Yang White Crane Internal Art Demonstration And Interview. - YouTube[/ame]

6. fire cobra

fire cobra Valued Member

Loved those 2 vids Wooden hare thanks:)

7. Ben Gash CLF

However, for the purposes of this discussion this is perhaps a better representation
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bj_jomBAp8s"]BCCMA Sanshou 2014: Mike Dimitrov - YouTube[/ame]

8. Tom bayley

Tom bayley Valued Member

Last edited: Apr 23, 2014
  9. Late for dinner

Late for dinner Valued Member

oh?

Interesting that you say this.. as far as I had heard San Shou was possibly a demo sport (no medals) as well as there had been arrangements for a large tournament to be on when the Olympics were on but not actually anything to do with the Olympics.

Any idea where you heard/saw this since I couldn't find it on their website?

Thanks,

LFD

10. flat1985

flat1985 Valued Member

Hi LFD

This is what it says just under the kickboxing class schedule

" We practise Chinese kick boxing (San Da) and are lucky enough to have the Olympic bronze medallist on our instructor team."

http://www.martialartsepsom.co.uk/Programmes.php#kickboxing

11. Ben Gash CLF

The Chinese somehow managed to get the IOC to allow them to hold a Wushu Championships during the Olympics and call it the 2008 Beijing Olympic Wushu Competition or some such, despite this being against their own rules.

12. Late for dinner

0_o

So then, as it says on the box, it's not an Olympic medal or even a demo sport medal....

Just a competition held in Mainland China at the same time as the Olympics. I knew about this. I think it's just slightly indiscrete to refer to an award from that comp as making someone an ''Olympic medalist'' in spite of the PRC government's tactics.

Who was the ''medalist'' in question since it doesn't show up on the webpage that flat1985 refers to? It would be interesting to find out what sort of competition occurred? (invite only? were there other tournaments that you had to go through to get to this level? etc etc) I have seen people claim '' World Champion'' status after entering Lau gar tournaments competing at yellow belt. I don't know what it is for San Shou but in wrestling it's all based on your performance up a ladder of competitions (first internally and later internationally) . England couldn't even get anyone to compete well enough at a high enough level internationally to enter into the Olympic tournament. In Judo I don't even know if there is a belt requirment although I would suspect that with the old format where your belt could be earned purely on beating people in comps that few higher level competitors would not be black belts. Again there is a tournament ladder both to demonstrate skill and for the safety of competitiors. My teammate had both forearms broken in a throw when we moved up in comps.. he managed to draw the national collegiate champion in Greco who caught him in a supplex... :' P

And people wonder why we KF peeps often don't get taken seriously (other than lack of open comps, lack of pressure testing, inflated titles yadda yadda..)!

Oh well :' D

LFD

Last edited: Apr 28, 2014
  13. Ben Gash CLF

There's a lot of confusion in the Wushu community still about whether it was actually the Olympics, and the Chinese deliberately made it ambiguous. I'm sure the guy has a medal that says Olympic.
    As for qualifying, as there's only one IWUF international competition a year, I'm assuming it was automatic team entry and then team selection was done in the usual way through national championships.
    Pretty much everyone who competed in TKD at Seoul and Barcelona describes themselves as Olympic medallists.

14. Late for dinner

Yeah, people like to big up participation in demo sports but just saying something doesn't make it so....

I think that San Should needs to develop further to gain more credibility. It might be just a matter of time but it has no where near the level of competition/international involvement as wrestling/judo/muay Thai or even sambo (guessing).

Is there any news whether there are any further plans to have San Shou included in the Olympics?

LFD

15. Ben Gash CLF

I think Olympic San Shou is well and truly dead. The IWUF didn't even include it when they tried to get Wushu in.
    TBH I think the Olympic route is one that only really worked for the Chinese anyway. For the rest of us I think developing it as a true professional sport would be much more beneficial.