Tips on fighting taller slightly stronger opponent?

Discussion in 'MMA' started by ShadowHawk, Apr 20, 2014.

1. ShadowHawk

ShadowHawk Valued Member

Will closing in for a thai clinch nullify his big wide swings? What else works ? Should i try to take it to the ground or stay standing (my style of fighting is stand up but his reach is much longer).

2. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

As a rangy fighter, the hardest opponents for me are the ones the use a lot of small (but very good) head movement. Because I'm so much taller I don't really hit many people in the body, which basically leaves me with just the kicks or shooting. Since I hate shooting, that's just kicks. Whenever I kick you catch it and do what you will :)

Just one option, there is probable more.

A small note though. Tall guys don't, or shouldn't, throw wife swings, controlling the range works better with straight punches.

3. pseudo

pseudo Padawan

God I love throwing body shots, most people dont expect them and I've found it to be an area that people tend to neglect training. But anyways, I'm out of my league here, good luck with your fight :hat:

4. callsignfuzzy

callsignfuzzy Is not a number!

According to "Fightnomics" by Reed Kuhn, even a 2.5" reach advantage gives a statistically significant advantage in the stand-up, but doesn't seem to have much of an effect on the ground. I wouldn't advise keeping it standing unless you have a clear striking advantage.

I personally wouldn't aim for the double-neck clinch either, unless you have a VERY good one, because it's harder to control a taller person from that particular clinch, at lest in my experience.

I tend to be short for my weight class and compared to some of my training partners. My preferred strategy is head movement, body shots, overhands (a true overhand, not a haymaker), bodylock or snatch a single-leg, then pass guard, since the type of subs available from guard (triangle and arm bar, mostly) tend to be aided by lanky body types.

5. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

One fellow who was fairly good at fighting taller opponents (in his prime, anyroads) was Mike Tyson.

The clip I'm looking for you see him in nearly a complete crouch - which makes it very difficult for the taller fighter, especially if you've got good head movement during the crouch. But I can't seem to find it now. I don't know if the video posted here has that or not.

- That about sums it up

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-478QGV9pc"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-478QGV9pc[/ame]

6. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

I hope that's a typo! :p

7. belltoller

If he were married I'd be tempted to call it a Freudian slip, lol.

8. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

We have a couple guys in my team who are around 6ft 3+... I tend to having to lunge in with a long jab to the face to raise their guard and then lots of body shots.
    Unfortunately they guys I go up against are also quite proficient in the clinch, but its my best bet compared to the trying to trade in the long range.

I would throw the odd overhand, but yeah, its all about closing in and getting those rib benders.

9. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Here's a (poor) pic of me training against taller guys.
    The drill was the Padholder (gloves in this case) uses his reach to put forward pressure, I slip, go in and strike.
    In this one I'm "turning the corner" so apologies for the foot placement as I have rushed the strike.
    But its the only pic I have.

To give an idea of size difference...I'm 5ft 11, 85kg

mushroom 1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 21, 2014
  10. belltoller

Corrr.... caption should read "David vs Goliath" Hope you managed to stay out of his optimum!

11. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

You need to be careful going in low or you'll get a knee to the face.

Height is pretty much negated on the ground. I would say that's the best place to go. If you have to take a strike to get in for the takedown then do so, but watch them knees!

12. belltoller

Yup - another thread we've going reminded me of that! LOL

OP should verify that method(s) suggested be appropriate for given MA!