Chopping a foam roller

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by righty, Apr 18, 2014.

1. righty

righty Valued Member

Well I know this isn't quite health and fitness but I figure it's close enough.

I have a 1m foam roller and it's a bit long for me to use easily in some circumstances. And my body parts are not wide enough to need the entire 1m length, so I'm considering getting a saw and sawing it in half to get two pieces.

So I'm just checking in to see if anything can think of anything that could go wrong with doing it, just in case. I have made home handyman mistakes in the past that even superglue won't fix, so it doesn't hurt to check.

2. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

I can't see a problem, as long as you use a decent, sharp saw so you don't rip the roller.

I would have though a long sharp kitchen knife would do a good job. A bit of tape around the roller to act as a guide would be a good idea too.

3. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

What sort of structure/material is it?
    I've got 2 rollers.
    One is made of the same sort of foam you get in focus mitts (or the sort of foam Peter Consterdone tapes together to make strike pads) and would be easy to cut down with a large serrated kitchen knife. Easy.
    The other is a made from a hard plastic inner (like a drain pipe) and then softer foam bonded onto it. I'd need a large saw to cut that down and the bonded foam would probably start to come away or something.

4. hatsie

hatsie Active Member Supporter

You want a hack saw righty, and you want a nice low angle three teeth minimum on the material at all times and a nice slowish steady motion.

Super glue won't fix your thumb with that dumb and deadly fast uncontrolled sawing motion your common or garden 'DIY dad' often adopts :D

5. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

if it's the softer kind like the first one PAsmith mentions, it may or may not also be easier to cut with a heated blade.

6. yorukage

yorukage Valued Member

Do you know anyone with a band saw? I think that would work nicely no matter the type of material.