Katana opinions

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by Amforius, Mar 7, 2014.

1. Amforius

Amforius New Member

Hello!

Im a beginner martial artist and before I buy my own katana, I want to gather as many information as many I can. I dont need you to show me a better katana, but tell me your opinions about THIS. I wont tell you the price willingly, so you wont be influenced by this. I wont use the katana for tameshigiri but for iaiot of course.

Informations about the Katana:

Sword weigth (saya - without scabbard ): 1100 g
    Blade length (with habaki): 72.5 cm

Tsuka length: 28 cm
    Equilibrium point (calculated from tsuba): 14 cm
    Blade type, Rockwell hardness: Fully hardened, HRC 52
    Nakago típusa: full
    Tsuka fixing: 2 bamboo tap
    Tsuka leather (samekawa) : stingray leather
    Tsuka ito : Black cotton
    Saya material: varnished wood
    Blade Material: 1060 blackened steel

Thank you for your answers!

2. bassai

bassai onwards and upwards ! Moderator Supporter

You're better off asking your teacher.

3. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

Ask your teacher.

What do you study?

4. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

Sounds like a Musashi

But, like others have stated, speak to your instructor

If you do not have a instructor, then owning a nice piece is nothing but fantasy or novelty IMHO

5. Dean Winchester

What makes you say that?

6. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

Googled his (op) description (not a original iconic Musashi though)

7. Brian R. VanCis

Brian R. VanCis Valued Member

If you are just starting out training in a Japanese martial system then by all means as everyone above pointed out ask your teacher for his/her recommendations.

Secondly looking at what you are posting with a Rockwell hardness I am assuming you are buying a blade that is sharp and that is absolutely not good for someone of your level.

Thirdly when buying an iaido (non-sharpened) training sword ask your teacher before you buy anything!!!

Fourthly 99% of the katana out there are absolute junk. Total junk as in total absolute crap! Most are poorly made, balance off, etc. If you want to buy junk that is okay but understand that it is junk!!!!

A natural progression would be to find a teacher, practice with what they have for a bit. Purchase an iaito based on their recommendation. Some day buy a shinken from a reputable source preferably with someone to guide you along the way. Hint: You can buy some inexpensive shinken for tameshigiri but.... if you want a real shinken of any value your looking in the thousands of dollars!

8. Dean Winchester

What's an original Musashi?

9. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

Start with a bokken and wait until you have a teacher you trust enough to ask for their opinion. The sword that suits my build and style wouldn't necessarily work for you, and buying a decent martial arts weapon without key information about matching that weapon to you is potentially a very costly mistake in more ways than one.

10. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

If you're a beginner buy a Bokken, not a Katana! When you're ready to be training with your own Katana you will already know what you need to buy.

11. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Katana opinions? European swords much better? No?

Sorry :D

Mitch

12. Dean Winchester

It's not like Xbox One vs Ps4 you know.

13. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

14. pgsmith

pgsmith Valued dismemberer

Sorry, but it's crap and there's no way I'd let it through the door and into the dojo.

15. Amforius

Amforius New Member

Okay, nevermind, none of you could say anything useful, and tell his opinions with reasons. Just forget what I asked from the "pro" martial artists...

16. Dean Winchester

Grow up.

You shouldn't be asking us you should be asking your teacher, besides people have give you reasoning about what you need to do. Just because it that doesn't give you the justification you seek does not mean it is not valid advice.

What do you study?

You shouldn't have anything sharp because you don't know what you are doing.

You shouldn't have anything of incorrect weight because it will knacker you up or screw with your waza.

You shouldn't have anything too long because you will find it difficult to use.

You should have what you teacher says you need and what your ryu prescribes.

How the hell can we say what's what when we don't know what you study, your build or anything about you?

You've been told rather bluntly that that sword sucks.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2014
  17. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Amforius, what type of reply do you expect?

The bladed weapons experts here tend to be rather protective, and that isn't a criticism.

Buying a bladed weapon isn't to be taken lightly and there seems to be a right of passage in the sword world. Buying a sword is different to buying something like an Eskrima stick.

Ask the question on the FMA forum and you'll get loads of help and recommendations, not so much though from the bladed weapons guys and maybe that's a good thing.

18. Dean Winchester

19. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

What's been said here is the most useful information you'll ever receive about buying a live sword to train with: don't without an instructor talking you through the process.

As an example, look at how much information should be in place before selecting even an iaito, let alone a shinken:

• Blade length. Does your style use a longer blade than normal or shorter. Is this blade therefore correct for your height and arm length?
    • Weight. Should this sword be heavier or lighter than the weight you've stated. This will depend on your build and your instructor's preferences.
    • Tsuka length. Is this long enough for you to grip correctly according to how your style does things? Is it too long?
    If you need to ask on a forum of strangers whether this is the right sword for you, then it isn't. If this was an iaito, then it wouldn't be that bad if you got something wrong, but you're asking about a properly sharpened blade and stating that you are a beginner - there's far too much potential for something to go wrong for anyone to actually advise you to buy this or any other weapon.

You're welcome, by the way.

20. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Thank you Dean and that article explains why the swordsmen seem over sensitive sometimes.

They're tying to save us from ourselves.

Awesome weapon.

I've just criticised a swordsman on another thread for some mumbo jumbo terminology he used at last years MAP Meet, but, and it's a big but, he was awesome and if you'd so much as flutter an eyebrow at him during a stand off you'd lose your arm.

I trained with him using a bokken and I couldn't even hold it correctly. I looked like a rabbit caught in the headlights and one of the arts I teach is Eskrima, which includes weapons.

I wouldn't dare have asked for a sword