Kung Fu Diary

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by Heraclius, Jan 6, 2014.

1. Heraclius

Heraclius BASILEVS Supporter

Having been inspired by Melbgoju's year of training thread I decided to try to keep training regularly; and after some consideration I thought that keeping an online log would be the best way to keep myself motivated.

For now I'll set my goal at: minimum 20 minutes, 5 times a week. Not exactly reaching for the stars, but I have to start somewhere.

Week 1:

Monday, 6 January

20 mins bag work: step in + pok sou. Working on timing and distance a bit, but mainly trying to keep my footwork neat while moving and hitting.

4 mins form and line work.

2. hext

hext Valued Member

Awesome!

What's Pok Sou? I did google first ;)

Also what forms so you practice?

3. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

Mate, 20 minutes a day 5 times a week still adds up to 1hr 40 minutes (where the hell did I get 14 from?!) extra training per week. It does add up. When I first started karate I stuck with 20 - 30 minutes a day seven days a week. It makes a hell of a difference.

Best of luck to you :)

Last edited: Jan 7, 2014
  4. Heraclius

Pok sou is a palm strike. So far it's probably the most useful technique I've learned. THis video shows some around 30s: [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_v6KhL1yKrk&feature=player_detailpage"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_v6KhL1yKrk&feature=player_detailpage[/ame]

As for forms, I only have one right now: Sarm Bo Gin.

Tuesday, 7 January

20 mins form: mainly working on the first two moves of Sarm bo Gim.

10 mins pair drills: roped in my brother, who does JJJ, for part. This gave some interesting perspective, since so far I've only worked with other SPMers.

5. hext

hext Valued Member

Ah I see!

Thanks for the info, I quite like that form!

6. Heraclius

Thursday, 9 January

30 mins line drills + (solo) pair drills: worked through the pair drills slowly , trying to visualise my opponent. Still a work in progress.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2014
  7. Heraclius

Somehow I missd your post before. It does make a big difference. I improve much faster when I practice in my own time, but I have trouble keeping at it. That's the main reason for this log; I hate the feeling of getting worse when I stop practicing :cry:

8. Heraclius

9. Heraclius

Friday, 10 January

25 mins bag: Kicks + pok/pay sou (palm strike/hammer fist) combination.

10. Wooden Hare

Wooden Hare Banned Banned

Pok Jeurng/Sao (拍掌/手) can be a strike or it can be a simple slapping block. Pok means to slap, Pok sao means a slapping block or strike with the open palm (jeurng) as seen in the Mantis video.

The slapping block is a great technique because it is fast but powerful and can deflect jabs and still leave your blocking hand in a position to counterattack, or simply defend your head/face from the opponent's other (possibly incoming) hand. A common 1-2 combination in Southern CMA is pok sao -> pek sao, or a slapping palm block followed by an axe palm hand (pek jeurng) to the larynx or face.

11. Heraclius

Saturday, 11 January

20 mins form + line work. Attempting to get the tension out of my shoulders as I do gar sou (sort of a back fist, my shoulders tend to bunch up when I do it).

That makes the end of my first week (yay). Total time: 2:46

12. Heraclius

Week 2:

Sunday, 12 January

25 mins bag work. Step in + pok sou again, this time focusing more on distance and timing. Finished up with some jumping kicks: not exactly part of my curriculum, but they're pretty tiring so I like using them to finish a bag session.

13. Heraclius

Monday, 13 January

22 minutes form. I spent most of the time breaking the form down into 2-5 techniques and working through them repeatedly. Not trying anything bunkai-like, just letting myself focus on the individual techniques a bit more.

14. Heraclius

Tuesday, 14 January

12 mins pair drills. Trying to visualise my lamentably non-existent opponent.

15. Heraclius

Thursday, 16 January

33 mins pair drills and bag work. Working on punching on the bag, which is a bit different for me. Then I went to a goju ryu karate class tonight which showed me how abysmal my punching really is, so I think my time on the bag was a bit of a waste :p

Last edited: Jan 16, 2014
  16. Heraclius

Friday, 17 January

20 mins footwork. This from the goju based so-called goshin jitsu I started this week. My shoulders are too sore for anything else right now.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2014
  17. Heraclius

Saturday, 18 January

10 mins bagwork. Not my usual stuff, to be sure. The difference was largely inspired by the muay thai class I visited on Friday night. Got me sweating a lot more than usual :D

10 mins line work. Albeit done stationary, as I was practicing in front of a mirror. Working on the punches from my karate.

End of week 2 (yay). Total time: 2:13 +2:46 = 4:57

18. Heraclius

Week 3:

Tuesday, 21 January

20 minutes footwork and pair drills. Did a bit of ad libbing in the drills, to stop myself getting too fixed in the usual pattern.

Yesterday I restarted my workout after taking a couple of months off; my shoulders aren't thanking me :cry:

19. Heraclius

Wednesday, 22 January

47 mins bagwork. Last night in my goshin jitsu class we covered a few kicks, so I decided to work on these (Also, my shoulders are still sore from monday: see previous post).

20. Heraclius

Thursday, 23 January

9 mins bagwork +

12 mins shadowboxing. My punching form is woefully inadequate. The hook and uppercut are beyond me I've decided, so I mostly worked on the jab and cross, although goodness knows there's enough to work on just with those two.