Does aikido work against other MA's?

Discussion in 'Aikido' started by Hazmatac, Nov 24, 2013.

1. Hazmatac

Hazmatac Valued Member

I ask because a lot of aikido seems like it may work against someone who doesn't do martial arts, but if they were to fight a boxer I don't know if they would do well. Aikidoka don't train against professional punchers, they train against people running in to them either doing an overhand slap, a karate chop, or grabbing them. That is not what most styles teach their students to do in a fight.

So, what are your thoughts?

2. bassai

bassai onwards and upwards ! Moderator Supporter

As with many martial arts , if practiced with people actually trying to hit each other , then yes , unfortunately as practiced by many , no.

3. Hazmatac

Hazmatac Valued Member

However, are the Aikido techniques actually designed to work in a situation where someone is a high level striker? I can get if they are geared towards grabs, and they might be some of the best. But would the techniques work standalone against good strikers?

4. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

I don't think most martial artists are trained to take on a pro boxer.

5. bassai

bassai onwards and upwards ! Moderator Supporter

Aikido (as I'm being taught it) concentrates on movement , so as I said , if it's trained honestly has some merit.

Also , this.

6. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

You don't see many aikido practitioners at high levels of mma.

7. mattt

mattt Valued Member

Aikido works best with (not against) other Aikido-ka

8. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

in my view, aikido's about principles. no, you're not going to be able to kote gaishi a boxer, or tenchi nage your drunk uncle. but if you consider principles and movement, then there's a lot to learn. principles like: evade attack by changing the angle; unbalance, then perform technique; don't use strength, but technique.

and also, a lot of new aikidoka miss the fact that the founder of the art specifically said that in practice, the art is mostly striking.

9. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

what prevents an aikidoka from simply evading your punch and then punching you in the face?

10. Fish Of Doom

relevant:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPzuLs7d3B0"]Chris Atemi.mov - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDp2FGVwnzs"]Atemi.mov - YouTube[/ame]

11. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

nice videos. tough guy.

12. Fish Of Doom

one of koyo's own.

13. Alansmurf

Alansmurf Aspire to Inspire before you Expire Supporter

Nice techniques..nice atemi... even put some knees and kicks in..

love it

Smurf

14. SkyFighter

SkyFighter Banned Banned

Ofcourse it works, you just need to train with proper people who will show you the right way to applay it! Look at this:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPjI63QLbiE"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPjI63QLbiE[/ame]

15. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

If he was doing it against an opponent who was actually trying to hit him and was actively trying not to be countered and thrown - that would be impressive. As it is, it is just one of a million cooperative aikido demos on the internet.

16. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

That's just bog standard Aikido done in jeans to try and make it look "street" or "tacticool"

Last edited: Nov 25, 2013
  17. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

Agreed. Unless the other martial artist is a superior pro boxer

I was about to state the same. All to many times (not only in Aikido) that the tori initiates the attack without real focus on hitting the target as well as not doing a natural strike (that some would actually do in a brawl). The so-called Oi-zuki (lunge punch) is often done on a "robotic-non flexible state"

As well as the tori restriction of the move, the uke is in full realization that it is coming

The problem doing this against a pro-boxer, is that the boxer has a arsenal of quick punches (including jabs) that said uke really could not defend

18. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

That dude needs to wake up and fall on his face every day to make up for wearing that low cut V-neck. That's worse than Tapout attire.

19. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

Gotta "love" :love: those knife and gun defenses

20. shootodog

shootodog restless native

If you train it and you can make it work for you then it will most likely work.

As my teacher told me when I was asking about using a scorpion kick in a fight.

"If you can make it work for you, then it will work."