Bagua in Manchester UK?

Discussion in 'Internal Martial Arts' started by furinkazan, Sep 28, 2014.

1. furinkazan

furinkazan Valued Member

Ok, so I've moved to a new area, and I'm looking to learn something new with that. Im near the preston train station, and manchester isnt far. I found out there's a bagua place there, and it looks tempting to try out:

http://www.manchester-bagua.org/bagua/

has anyone here trained with this guy, or have experience with this style?

2. embra

embra Valued Member

Looks good. I did a few classes of Gao Bagua in France about 5 years ago.

The lineage is correct - Avro Tucker is the 1st fellow to bring Gao Bagiua to Europe.

They do some decent sparring in the vids. Mention is made of the Jack Dempsey drop-step boxing - and is visible in some of the sparring. In my TaiJiQuan - which has some Bagua elements within it, we use Dempsey drop step boxing on the 1st jab - to close the gap/range, before using the second follow up as the killer punch. We call it 'Running Thunder Hands'.

I recall the Gao Bagua - like all styles of Bagua - warmups being absolute killers.

3. Dan Bian

Dan Bian Neither Dan, nor Brian

That school looks damn good :)

I'd definately head in and give them a try.

I've done a little Cheng Tinghua baguazhang; just enough to know that it's far too much for my brain to handle (not saying much, though). Can't imagine many better places to get a good baguazhang education than this place.

4. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

I was eating at a Vietnamese restaurant yesterday (great food) and passed this place on the way out - literally right next door:

http://www.taichicentre.com/classes.php

Looked good. Only 10-15 minute walk from Victoria.

Also some very good clubs in Preston itself, not Chinese martial arts but plenty good BJJ (Gracie), judo, and Muay Thai, if you're interested. Gracie place offers Kali/Silat too. Just mentioning it because Preston-Manchester is a crap train journey, especially in the evenings (lots of last minute cancellations).

5. furinkazan

furinkazan Valued Member

I did check the Gracie place, they stopped doing everything except BJJ quite recently :S I don't know why though.

6. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick