Personal alarms

Discussion in 'Self Defence' started by Southpaw535, Oct 20, 2014.

1. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

More specifically, are they any use?

Browsing for a better wallet I came across a website that sells a ton of security bits and bobs for travellers, with personal alarms being one of them. This made me realise I actually had no idea what one sounds like so I watched a few videos on youtube and, to me, they all sounded like distant burglar alarms.

This further reminded me of a discussion I had with my mum once when she was considering buying one as she was getting older and with me at the time taking more of an interest in self defence, doing some small stuff with JWT etc she felt a bit vulnerable. We came to the same conclusion that they were a bit pointless for 2 main reasons:

1. I don't think most people could identify one if they heard one. I feel like I'd have a lot more faith in them if they had a distinctive sound and it was one people knew about. A lesson at school or something, I dunno. Hell have it shout quotes from Foghorn Leghorn and I'll probably spend more time looking for the source than I would for a generic alarm sound.

2. Related, but my view is most people don't care about alarms. Car alarms, and even burglar ones, are a common enough occurrence that when I hear them in the street I notice few people tend to take much interest in what's causing it. I think that's less about people not caring if crimes are occurring and more to do with being used to them going off for no reason but still.

So I was wondering what peoples' opinions of them are? Since a few people on here also seem to have worked in the security industry as well I'm curious how many people carried them and the faith they had in them?

2. bassai

bassai onwards and upwards ! Moderator Supporter

Not really worth it imo , you're second point nailed it for me.
    That said , I can see the "scream" type aerosol alarms having limited use in an enclosed environment , though more due too earache they can cause , also I've seen some on eBay that seem to encorporate some kind of dye that may help Id an attacker.

3. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

The problem with car alarms is that they have so many false positives.
    By far the majority of the time they go off it's because another car went past or some wind. There's no point going to see what the problem is because there usually isn't a problem.
    So any alarm has to get the balance right so that when it goes off people take notice.

4. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

I think the idea is more to startle your attacker than attract people to help you.

5. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

When I worked at M&S we had these alarms on the tills to raise an alarm should we be getting robbed or cash snatched.
    A couple of times they fell off the till, landed top down and went off in the shop. Then we'd have to scramble around on the floor trying to find it to turn it off.
    And in close proximity they are something that is VERY hard to ignore.
    If one went off within 20 foot of you you'd certainly turn and look and probably go and investigate if you couldn't see what was going on.

6. inthespirit

inthespirit ignant

As PA says ^, in close proximity they are very hard to ignore.

My flatmate at Uni had a job as a charity mugger and he got issued one, we use to pull the safety out and chuck it under people's beds in the mornings. This thing was very loud, I would think that besides attracting attention, it would also make it very uncomfortable for an aggressor to continue what they were doing. Might not stop them, but will certainly put some doubts in them about not being detected and make it hard to operate.

7. Southpaw535

I did think that but it messed with my post :p

My only counter to that is the kind of situations I can think of where I'd use ones are cases where the alarm woudn't do much to stop them. Ie, they've grabbed you, in which case they can get to the alarm quick enough anyway.

Which raises another completely separate point: Why do so many women insist on keeping things in their handbags where they're impossible to reach? The number of security things I've seen advertised for women from alarms and sprays to knives and guns (even so far as to be called "handbag pistols" and concealed carry forums suggest they're not unpopular) and they all live in the handbag. It's rare I see a woman in a shop who can get her purse out without faffing about but for some reason you're meant to be able to react to danger with enough time to open your bag, root around in it, draw and then use whatever it is you carry? Its silly. And I feel better now :p

We have something like that too. There's the silent alarm for an armed response (and I got a mighty telling off for feinting to press it once when I was bored) but some people where other ones from a security company that causes someone to boom out "do you need assistance?" Same problem with them being easy to catch, but still funny watching people be very confused when it happens.

8. Southpaw535

Interesting. Quite possible listening to them on youtube makes them seem a lot quieter than than they actually are.

9. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Up close they are startling and "I must stop that damn noise" loud. IMHO anyway.

10. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

I think there's a few issues. Do you carry it with you whenever you're in a shady place? That might get a bit tiresome?
    Will anyone hear it in a manner to make it worthwhile?
    Will anyone react even if they do notice something?
    Will it scare or annoy an attacker?

11. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

120dB-140dB (I presume SPL) is very loud.

Most people would be at least a little distracted, which can aid chances of escape.

I can't find any studies, but if you're ambushing someone and a piercing alarm goes off, I'd say that would induce a bit of panic. Even if intellectually you could reason no-one would be likely to come to assist your victim, you'd have to be an unusaully cool customer not to be affected by it.

I think the bottom line is; it's better than nothing, and might give you a chance you wouldn't have without it.

12. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

I think this is a very valid point.

13. Moi

I think against a specific planned attacker it's going to be useful. I think that's how they're sold/given away.
    I suppose you can hope for confusion with a drunk?
    I think research to the quality (price too) and considering the item. Buy a good one?!

It's how I look, or used to a million years ago, at house alarms. Piercing internal sounders at every viable access point & then some. Shock the buggers

14. bassai

The ones I've seen and played with were attached to keys , so maybe a little easier to locate ?

This was also my philosophy when I fitted car alarms , at least one of my cars had 2 120db Sirens inside.

15. Moi

It's what works. Petty thieves are nervous creatures :)

16. Moi

I think the only objection I have is from myself? Why would I use one? I wouldn't
    I forget everyone isn't me?

17. bassai

To be honest , I was just hoping to make their ears bleed , or at least cause some permanent hearing damage :evil:

18. Moi

I'm a pacifist :)

19. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

:happy:

Funny, Southpaw. Which reminds me, there is a model of alarm that features James Brown's voice, or so I have heard - I reckon they've recorded some of his choice "performances" and had them looped. Sounds a gimmick but as you said...if it works.

After the wife had spinal surgery and couldn't move or yell out, and me being very, very hard of hearing, I decided on a maritime ship-to-shore signaler in case she had an emergency upstairs in our bedroom.

I should've thought twice about it...maybe gotten the small one...

She was bored and decided to test it out one day when I warn't there...

[​IMG]

Almighty...

20. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

I'm on the side of the others here. It attracts attention...what happens when you hear something out of the ordinary? You look....what do criminals not want? Witnesses.

So yeah maybe they've grabbed the bag/jewellery, but he/she/they may have had 1 or 10 people see them doing it. Some may call Police, some may not. But its odds that works against their favour.