Shooting range laws (WY, USA)

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by Van Zandt, Aug 2, 2014.

1. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Heading to Wyoming at the end of the month for karate coaching duties. Planning on going range shooting during my downtime, but wanted to know what the rules were around non-US citizens participating. Have emailed the shooting club I plan to visit, but had no answer back yet and my Google Fu appears weak this morning. Been shooting before in AZ, CA, and FL, and all I had to do there was show my British passport (lack of visa indicates no criminal record) and be accompanied by a US citizen. Thinking it's probably the same in WY, but wondered if any US MAP members might know?

2. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

I could stand corrected, but there are no laws preventing non-US citizens going to a accredited/established range.

The laws become strict when buying and selling, not shooting on such a qualifying range

Call the club. Emails are not personal enough

3. John R. Gambit

John R. Gambit The 'Rona Wrangler

The last time I was in Wyoming, I saw multiple drive-through ammo and liquor stores (I am not joking) and numerous highway signs with bullet holes in them, so I'm guessing they're pretty relaxed at their outdoor ranges. Also, I recommend not loitering near highway signs.

4. m1k3jobs

m1k3jobs Dudeist Priest

Best way I know to find out what is permitted in a state is to contact their Attorney General. At least that's what I was taught in my carry class in TN concerning their laws on handgun carry and transportation of weapons and ammo.

5. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

Dude . . . . . you're in Wyoming, a loosely populated, western RED state.

I think the law is that if you don't have a gun and shoot wherever you please, you'll be arrested.

Unless you're bringing your own weapons, the shooting range will fill you in on what you can and cannot do there. That's how every shooting range I've ever been to has worked. I wouldn't stress over it, unless you're brining your own weapons.

Edit: There MIGHT be a height limit. :D :p

6. Guitar Nado

Guitar Nado Valued Member

I saw that Van Zandt has been shooting in CA, and was worried about the laws in WY! My first thought was "wait, they have laws in WY?" This is a place with a 80 MPH speed limit after all.

7. Bronze Statue

Bronze Statue Valued Member

As others have said, the best answer is to call up the state government. Also call ahead at the range to see what their own regulations are. And as others have mentioned, if you're importing guns/ammo from the UK to the US, that's likely to be a much bigger deal than the specifics of showing up at a range--you'll probably want to do a lot more looking up in that case.

If your google-fu is weak today, I'll add a couple of links.

http://www.handgunlaw.us/
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_laws_in_Wyoming
    http://www.nraila.org/gun-laws/state-laws/wyoming.aspx

Anyways, as others have said, WY is a "red state" and as such is not nearly as hostile to lawful civilian possession of weapons as another state that you have been to (California) is, so my guess is that you will not have a problem.

DISCLAIMER: I'm not from Wyoming, and have no background in law.

Do they sell cigarettes too? Then they can call the shop "Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms".

8. John R. Gambit

That's only because if you don't travel 80 mph it will take you a week to negotiate the distance between villages.

9. Guitar Nado

Guitar Nado Valued Member

My wife went to Graduate school near my home town (before I met her). She often later made fun of the "Beer, Bait and Bullets" type shops there. I think to capture the true essence of the area they should be be "Beer,Bait, Bullets, and Banjos". But unfortunately no Banjos were sold. Of course I know of a gas station not too far away that sold BC Rich guitars (pointy Heavy Metal 80's style guitars), so Beer, Bait, Bullets and BC Rich?

10. blindside

blindside Valued Member

I lived in Wyoming for 10 years, when I got there the sign for the pharmacy/general store said "Drugs, Liquor, Guns." as a permanent part of the sign.

During that 10 years I never shot at a range, I drove 2 miles down the road to my house, set up on a deserted piece of BLM land and checked my backstop. Just be polite and pick up your brass.

11. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

:eek:Being a resident there is a big difference than being a non US shooting freestyle without a range.

12. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Thanks for all the responses.

Heard back from the range owner. He's happy for me to come and go as I please, on 3 conditions: I give him a copy of my passport, I attend a safety brief with one of his range marshalls, and have my first shoot supervised. He even offered me a discount on a tactical shooting course (AR-15) with an ex-SOF fella, so let the good times roll.

As a non-US citizen, I can only fire weapons owned by the range I'm shooting at. It has to be signed out and back in at the start/end of each shoot. I'm also not allowed to fire .50 cal machineguns or throw hand grenades... apparently. :)

13. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

Copy of the passport seems a little odd to me. Might be because you're not going to have a driver's license or other normal U.S. identification. I unno', every range is different. I took my wife and her friend shooting once when I was still in the military (more like dropped them off and paid for the ammo, I went to PetSmart). I didn't shoot because the guy told me I would have to sit in for the one time safety course that was 30 minutes long with a video. :rolleyes: (Rolling eyes not about safety, as it needs to be done. I just wasn't going to sit around to hear something I practiced every day and had to do brief after brief about it on every shooting range :p)

Best range I've ever been to is in my home town in Florida. Dude lives in the gun shop he owns and the indoor range is a huge building in the back. Rent a gun or use your own, wear the PPE and that's just about it. People have tried to rob the guy twice (he literally lives in the gun store) and he killed the people both times. :Alien:

14. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Yeah, he said all users need to submit a form of photo ID (he keeps a copy and submits a copy to the local sheriff - who happens to be this guy's brother in law lol).

Every month they have a precision rifle contest. I won't be there when they hold the next one thankfully, because he said most of the guys who take part are lifelong hunters and/or police/National Guard/USMC marksman. :eek:

15. John R. Gambit

Are you serious? Those are laws?! What barbarism. If you're ever in Nevada or Washington, I know a lot of vets and ex-LEOs who will take you to remote outdoor ranges and teach you all sorts of colorful ways to sling lead for the price of buying refreshments, ammo, and a few good stories. When the police do show up to those outtings, it's typically one Sheriff who is "exceedingly polite." Sure, you might end up covered in gun powder residue and anal probed because of a positive chemical swab on your flight back to London, but you've probably packed enough underwear for it to just be a colorful future anecdote.

I'd shop there.

16. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

You reminded me of the time I cracked a joke to a TSA agent when asked if my luggage had been tampered with without my knowledge.

Most uncomfortable cavity search of my life.

17. mewtwo55555

mewtwo55555 Valued Member

where in wyoming I have tons of family there? one of the stories my dad tells is back in the 70's there was a drive up liquor store that you would order your shot and you would drive up so they could poor it in your mouth before you could drive away you have to close your mouth and drink it cause then it was a "closed container".

For those not familiar in america you cant drive with an open alcoholic beverage even if your not driving the vehicle.

18. blindside

blindside Valued Member

There was no open container law in WY when I moved there in '97, you could drink and drive but you couldn't be drunk and drive.
    They did a half-assed fix in 2002 or so, the driver couldn't have an open container but nothing stopped a passenger from double fisting..... They fixed that with a true open container law a couple years after that.

19. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Mewtwo55555... that's a lot of fives.

Anyway, I'll be spending most of my trip in and around Cheyenne and Casper.

20. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

Try and see a rodeo in Cheyenne if there's one on. They've got a big stadium, just for rodeo's (seriously) and it's a great show.