Guitarists - Support Group

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Sam, Feb 24, 2012.

1. Sam

Sam Absent-ish member

Well - having lost the last 7 hours of my life to playing around on guitar I have decided that I need a support group. I can't be the only MAP member who does this so make yourself known guys!

After two years, a big rest from it and the last couple of days I can now play 'Classical Gas' in full - well chuffed.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JeHgNqbdBKs"]Mason Williams - Classical Gas (Acoustic) - YouTube[/ame]

Whats anyone else working on?

2. Preacher Wilson

Preacher Wilson Valued Member

Very cool song. lots of good fingerpicking.
    i've played guitar for around 16 years, singer/songwriter and Blues harmonica. been learning banjo off and on for the past year....
    but all in all,
    the past few years i have not devoted as much time as i used to towards my music.
    keep up the good work man!

Last edited: Feb 24, 2012
  3. Jabby Mcgee

Jabby Mcgee Valued Member

Nice thread. I used to play almost religiously, but then other responsibilities took over. I have played many gigs, and can currently be regularly seen on the streets of Cardiff city centre busking.

A song I have been working on for quite some time off and on is Mona Lisa by Martin taylor. I'm not really anywhere near it at the moment, but it is more of a long term goal. I can't find a video of Martin playing this anymore, but this is a step by step transcript of the piece:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kx0bMjko7cw"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kx0bMjko7cw[/ame]

4. Llamageddon

Llamageddon MAP's weird cousin Supporter

Not really working on anything at the moment - the PhD is taking up too much of my time. But I will still pick up my guitar every time I see her.

5. csoby

csoby Valued Member

I am going to start recording with my former bandmates... remotely... should be a challenge as we all live if different parts of the country.

6. Zabrus

Zabrus Valued Member

I played bass for the last 4 years.

Until recently, in a cover band (Deep Purple, Rainbow, old Judas Priest, mainly... With some other songs).

Haven't played in the last 4 months... Now learning some spsnish guitar.

7. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

Haven't had much chance to play much since my hours at work went back up but I'll still play randomly. Problem is I still cant figure out how to play chords properly and cant get my fingers working right :bang:

That said, I'm normally trying to play One (Metallica), various Iron Maiden songs on the bass, Andy McKee's Drifting on the acoustic and Seasick Steve tunes playing around with slides. I definitely want to improve though because I keep telling myself I cant buy an acoustic bass until I can actually play the guitars I've got!

8. Sam

Sam Absent-ish member

That will definitely be a challenge!

Love spanish guitar - I play a few spanish pieces theres one in particular I've been playing for years that my dad taught me and his taught him. Somewhere along the line they forgot the name of it and I've been trying to find it out for years to no avail!

My next project is streets of London - got the picking pattern but haven't worked out how to play and sing with this one yet which is wierd as I can normally do that pretty quickly!

Anth - Drifting? Are you doing the tapping along with it?

Good to see that there are a few of us about!

9. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

Despite owning a guitar for a couple years I only just started using it properly. Got taught a couple chords by a mate and haven't really progressed past that to be honest. Trying to get the strumming pattern down for what hurts the most at the moment and just trying to find some simple stuff I can whip out to impress ignorant people ;)

10. Late for dinner

Late for dinner Valued Member

Pretend to play the bass a bit.. actually like metal but have been playing a bit of Bach etc at the moment because... well it's Bach :' )

LFD

11. Sam

Sam Absent-ish member

Learn G, C, D and EM. Strumming pattern - down, down, up, up, down, up and the jobs a good'un. Most of my campfire songs I play for the kids at work consist of the above. Less easy to mess up in fron of said easily pleased :D

***May contain profanity***

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMshvUReunc&feature=fvst"]The Axis of Awesome 4 Chords Melbourne Comedy Festival - YouTube[/ame]

12. Sam

Sam Absent-ish member

I head there every month for work. Next time I go I'm walk around to random buckers asking "Jabby McGee?" and see how many times I get punched in the face!

13. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

Yep, found some tutorial videos on Guitar World (I think it was) and I saw the guy live at Sage Gateshead last year - he's insanely good! :)

14. Microlamia

Microlamia Banned Banned

I play the guitar. I'll PM you something....(death metal, contains some not very family friendly material)

Last edited: Feb 24, 2012
  15. Sam

Sam Absent-ish member

Nice just got it. Can't currently do sound but will check it out when I can later.

I've so far managed to write one song - pretty much the polar opposite to death meatal but hey ho! It's isn't on youtube but feel free to add me on Facebook if you have it as its on there somewhere!

16. csoby

csoby Valued Member

Yes it will... but I think we have all the details worked out. I am supposed to record my parts this weekend and then get them uploaded so they can start on the next parts.

17. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

I kinda made the decision yesterday that I'd learn to play "Beeswing" by Richard Thompson.

This is where I'm at so far, which, despite the odd duff note, isn't bad by my standards.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRgQ8qAQo2s"]Beeswing (attempt!) - YouTube[/ame]

18. wcrane

wcrane Valued Member

I am a huge fan of flamenco guitar.I started playing guitar again about 2years ago after about a hundred years.I mainly download tabs of spanish classical stuff( a lot of Terraga) and experiment with flamenco rythm. Anyone else into this?

19. armanox

armanox Kick this Ginger...

Currently polishing up two songs - Behind Blue Eyes (The Who) and Circumstances (Rush) (I've poked at Circumstances several times over the past several years. I'm determined to get it down this time!).

20. OwlMAtt

OwlMAtt Armed and Scrupulous

Well done. Richard Thompson is not easy stuff.

In response to OP:
    I play guitar myself. I sang and played in a folk/country/classic rock band until recently and am currently trying to get back into the game. You can hear some of my old stuff at http://www.facebook.com/pages/Matthew-Story/60483692182?sk=app_2405167945. I'm working on new stuff.