Wanting some advice!

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Greeny1248, Oct 6, 2015.

1. Greeny1248

Greeny1248 New Member

Hello, I've recently started gaining an interest in martial arts, I'm wanting to improve my fitness and strength as well as discipline! I recently came across a website explaining white collar boxing, there is an 8 weeks program, at the end you compete and it is for charity. I have a couple of friends who are thai kick boxers and really recommend it, there is also an MMA gym about a mile from my house, I am just wondering what would be the best option as a complete beginner!
    Thanks, I am from rotherham next to sheffield if anyone can recommend anything close by! Cheers!

2. CrowZer0

CrowZer0 Assume formlessness.

What advice are you looking for? General tips on how to be better or which class to choose?

3. Greeny1248

Greeny1248 New Member

Where to start! I've read articles about the white collar boxing being a bit dodgy, probably just nonsense. Is it better to just jump in and try each one to see which I prefer? I'm short and fat so a bit nervous about the boxing as I could be in the same class as a lanky fellow when it comes to the charity match

Some advice: Please reread MAP's policy on swearing (masked or otherwise).

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 6, 2015
  4. CrowZer0

CrowZer0 Assume formlessness.

The best advice would be to try them both, see which one you like better, which instructor is better. If the schools have websites check them out.

5. HairoNoSora

HairoNoSora Valued Member

I've never heard of white collar boxing, but boxing, muay tai and mma are all sports heavy on conditioning, if getting fit is your goal then you can't really do better then either one.

If you are a fan of one of those sports, I'd say pick that one.

6. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Do them both. Lots of crossover. The mma gym will probably teach bjj and thai, along with mma classes.

7. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

There's some good boxing and kick boxing in Sheffield, but I'm not sure going from unfit beginner to a boxing match in 8 weeks is the best idea. Each to their own though!

Unreal Combat here on MAP knows some guys over in Sheffield, I'll ask him to post up here for you.

Mitch

8. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

Ni Yai Muay Thai or Thanapron Muay Thai are both good clubs worth looking into. AFK are pretty good too.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2015
  9. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

Do the White Collar Brawler first then after the 8 weeks, sign up with the MMA gym - you'll appreciate the training and understand why some things are best done measure by measure more.

They actually had/have a television series loosely based on the concept here in the States ... Greeny, it might be advantageous for you to watch a few of the episodes - I think some of them are available on Youtube at least - if you do, you'll see that in every case, the fellow (or gal) that took their training, diet seriously was the victor.

Most of them began out of shape, drinkers, smokers, over weight - but those that listened to their trainers did well.

Mind you the final bouts aren't too pretty or loaded with Ali-Shuffles or Mayweather shoulder-rolls and counters but we are talking about 8 weeks, then.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnaW8AHiMBQ"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnaW8AHiMBQ[/ame]

10. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

I wouldn't bother with the white collar programmes. No one should be fighting within eight weeks.

11. ned

ned Valued Member

I think these programmes are more geared towards flogging tickets (to what is usually a slapfest ) to friends and relatives than trying to give any meaningful instruction.