Female Martial Artists

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by slugbread, Oct 7, 2015.

1. slugbread

slugbread Banned Banned

I found this on reddit and thought it is pretty cool.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFIWd-70w5w"]Female Martial Artists - YouTube[/ame]

2. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

I watched a bit of it, and I'm going to disagree with you: I don't think it's particularly 'cool'.

I saw a mixture of really awful video clips that looked totally unrealistic, mixed with what looked like a scene from a really cheesy MA film, and some animated stuff that depicted pretty little girls doing MA moves. At that point I thought I had better turn it off before I throw up.

If I was a female martial artist I think I would find all that stuff extremely sexist and patronising. Female martial artists (real ones) have to work just as hard as male ones, and contrary to what stuff like that depicts, they do have to break into a sweat. Garbage like that is no true reflection on what martial arts are about.

Sorry if I seem like I'm flaming you when you are a new member and all, but I thought that video was pretty awful.

3. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Pretty pointless video. As said above, a generic montage of violence and heavy rock guitar solo music. Throwback to the 90s in a way.
    If this was supposed to be a homage to good female martial artists, then congrats. The video maker managed to find all the bits "not to use".

4. slartibart81

slartibart81 New Member

Oh, I thought there might be some pointers to actual female martial artsits in this thread. I am looking for examples of Korean/Japanese/Chinese martial artists that did well in the west. Can anyone point me to someone?

[link edited out]

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 15, 2015
  5. rileykwondo

rileykwondo New Member

I'm a girl practising martial arts but don't really get the point of this video tbh