Nachi's Log

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by Nachi, Apr 23, 2015.

1. Nachi

Nachi Valued Member Supporter

No problem, there's nothing to be offended about. I thank you for your concern. I do not take MA as a priority over my studies. I'm just before my finals and I've been studying a lot, trainings being the only good part of most of my recent days :)

This did cut into my schoolwork, but since I skipped the last training, in the end, I wasn't there for much longer than I would be normally. This is not the point, though, I know.

I do help with the trainings as a volunteer indeed. And I do have respect for my sensei. On the other hand, I consider sensei a friend of mine. I told him a lot of personal things about myself and know a more than a bit about him, too. This is indeed not the first time this happened. However, he mentioned he might be away, so I was counting with the possibility he'd ask me. But I thought it was solved already, since I didn't get any message sooner... I could have said I just can't come. But in the end I chose not to.
    I know the reason why he's away, and it's something he can't be blamed for and is also why I chose to help. He knows I'm studying. But he asked anyway and let me choose. It might come across he might be taking advantage of me, but it's really not like that. Or it is, but in a sense that when a friend needs a favour, I help and vice versa. He was appologetic indeed and wouldn't blame me at all if I said "no". I know that. It's just that the first class at least would have most likely been cancelled.
    It's similar as when I told him recently I won't be able to attend the children classes and a children camp I promised to help with anymore because of work. He just said ok, of course, that takes priority, don't worry about it. I don't think he would ever insist if I said no. So basically I'm the one to blame that I had less time to study today... If I only studied and did the work I need to be doing right now, I'd go crazy, I swear :D So trainings are a really good think for me, also motivating me to study harder before I need to go :) One hour of studying probably won't make much difference, it's only my nerves... (as I'm stressed generally) :)

I chose to try and find a job in a field completely different to what I study, so school isn't my priority in this aspect. But I still do want to finish it already and it is certainly my priority right now. I'm not delaying it long-term right now. I should finish next week if things go well. If not, karate probably can't be blaimed for that (there are things I just can't get into my head) :)

Anyway, thank you for your concern and support. I mean it.
    But I know sensei's personality and what I can or can't expect. I didn't realise what I write might sound like this (which is probably precisely the reason it does) :D But I think things are ok :) If I spend too much time in the dojo, it's generally because of me...

Last edited: May 27, 2016
  2. Nachi

Friday - Wednesday 1.6.16: I skipped Monday's and Tuesday's classes, because of studying, but I did 1 Sanchin each of these days! :)

Today was also the first part of my finals - thesis defence. Several people from the dojo came, called or texted to wish me best of luck. Which was really kind, I don't know how I deserved it, but the luck was with me and I got the best mark. The oral exam comes tommorrow, though, which will be worse, but I hope I'll be able to pass... Anyway, after tomorrow, if I pass, no stress anymore, no more studying and I'm sooo gonna do nothing! :D No books, no notes, no nothing! :D

Last edited: Jun 1, 2016
  3. Travess

Travess The Welsh MAPper Supporter

Congratulations Nachi, though I am certain it was less about luck, and more about the time that you have put into your studies.

Best of luck for tomorrow (I am sure you will smash it) and enjoy your 'down time'

Regards

Travess

4. Nachi

Thank you, Travess! :)

I've done it! The oral exam ended worse than the thesis defence, however, put together, they gave me the best mark, woohoo! I earned my Master's degree today and the awesomest thing is that I can put all the books to rest and enjoy free weekends without the need to study or write the thesis, which didn't happen in months!

So onto the new journey! For the first time since elementary school I'm not a student anymore and will start a new path in my life :) Hopefully it will go well, too :)

5. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

Congratulations! :)

6. Knee Rider

Knee Rider Valued Member Supporter

Well done Nachi!!

7. Nachi

Thank you! ^_^

8. Nachi

Thursday 2.6.16:

So, I was really looking forward to go to let off some steam at the training. However, I haven't slept very well the past two days, so as soon as I finished some work, I closed my eyes for a few minutes and... woke up 4 hours later :( In other words, I completely slept through the classes.
    Which made me feel ashamed, because a friend of mine, who is really, really kind, baked a celebratory cake for me with a Lapwing on it (!) and I didn't show up. Four of my friends then drove across the whole city to bring it to me. I'm so happy to have friends like that. :) And the cake was delitious! :)

So today again, only 1 Sanchin and I'll also do one tomorrow. I won't write here for some time because tomorrow I'm leaving for Croatia to a seaside and to a karate training came. To the very same place I went to a year ago, where I graded. No grading there this year, but I'll work hard (or at least I plan to) to prepare for it :)

9. Travess

I look forward to reading all about your Karate camp exploits, when you return - Enjoy your time away Nachi.

Travess

10. Nachi

Karate training camp in Croatia

3.6.-11.6. 2016

My third time going to this camp. This year, however, there were much less karate people and senseis, most attendees were the high-school students of our sensei. Anyway, around 12 people participated in the morning beach trainings and afternoon trainings in the water. The morning trainings are 7:30-9:00. 7:00-7:30 is the training for blackbelts, where generally present senseis get together and practise their stuff. The afternoon trainings are usually 1 hour long.

After the night bus drive, we arrived SATURDAY morning. That day there were no official trainings, but I managed my 1 Sanchin. :)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    SUNDAY

- still no official morning training, so I got up at 6:00 to go birdwatching with my dad. Meaning at least 10 km walk

Afternoon training in the sea (approx. 1 hour):
    - 2x Sanchin
    - 2x the older turning version - Kanryo Higaonna's Sanchin
    - Renzoku kumite (GKI in line) - both sides around 5x
    - Gekisai Dai Ichi, Ni, Saifa, Seiyunchin - all of my kata 1x

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    MONDAY

7:30-9:00 - Morning training:
    - 3x Kanryo Higaonna's Sanchin
    - Renzoku kumite - kata in line - solo and in pairs. When I paired up with my friend from the dojo with whom we go through all the gradings together and are at a similar level, sensei came to us: "You're good, so no problem for you to do it in reverse" - meaning starting with the other side and doing a mirror version of renzoku kumite. I tended to go back at some places, but I think we managed. It was kind of fun :)
    - Practising Gekisai Dai Ichi and Ni kata

Afternoon sea training (1 hour):
    - Kihon
    - Gekisai Dai Ichi bunkai

+ around 2 hours of softball in the evening

TUESDAY
    This year there were only two senseis present - both from our dojo and one who didn't teach any trainings lately since he's busy with his life. He apparently didn't fancy getting up too early and didn't turn up for the previous black-belt training. Therefore our sensei invited me and the friend to come for 7:00 instead so the time doesn't go in vain. He forgot to tell other people but starting with Wednesday, the 7:00-7:30 was a green belt and up training.
    Last weekend there was a black-belt seminar with an 8th dan sensei invited from the UK. The one our sensei considers his teacher now. They were also talking about a lot of stuff and the senior sensei tolf our teacher that if he has students who train often and do well, although they don't have too high a grade, also because of the time restraints on grading, they can be slowly taught higher katas. After thinking about this, sensei decided to teach us Shisochin kata! :) Which in our system is needed for grading for 1st kyu and 1st dan. Therefore these 30 minutes in the morning were used to teach us this kata.

7:00-7:30 - Morning advanced training:
    - 1 Kanryo Higaonna's Sanchin
    - Shisochin - only us two students today, who have been previously, some months ago taught all the steps of this kata by the other sensei. But our main sensei wasn't particularly happy or rather didn't feel like teaching us then, so we never did it in class since. However, we more or less remembered approximately how the steps go, so it wasn't as hard as learning Seiyunchin kata here a year ago.

- 3 standard (Chojun Miyagi's) Sanchin - also taking the more junior students to pair with and practise with each other
    - Junbi Undo including a short work-out with stones we found on the beach
    - 2 kihon combinations practised in pairs that were taught by the visiting senior sensei last weekend
    - Gekisai Dai Ni kata + all 4 of its bunkai practised quickly and solo this time

- I skipped the afternoon training in the sea, because I wanted to do a bit of plain-air painting and it took a bit more time

WEDNESDAY

7:00-7:30 - Advanced (greenbelt and up) training:
    - Shisochin kata again slowly step by step for the other four students who haven't been there yesterday and never practised this kata before

7:30-8:30 - Morning training:
    Beginning today only one sensei was teaching so there were less separation between the more junior and senior students. Today's training was also a bit shorter because after that there was a trip to the Krka national park which took the rest of the day. So no sea training either.
    - 1 Sanchin (the standard one)
    - Again the same two kihon combinations + 1 new
    - ten minutes of solo Saifa practise

THURSDAY

7:00-7:30 - Advanced training:
    - 2x Sanchin while sitting or lying down - focusing on breathing
    - Shisochin kata + 5 or 6 of its bunkai sensei taught us so that we know what we're doing in the kata. There are some breaking techniques/joint manipulation and other things that help with performing the kata correctly, knowing what each move means.

- we didn't have enough time to finish those bunkai, so we continued a bit in this training until we learned those 5 or 6. I was also paired with a blue belt from another dojo, who kept giving me clever tips and corrections especially for the joint manipultaion stuff etc. I mustn't forget! :)
    - all of our kata slowly (GKI, GKN, Saifa, Seiyunchin, Shisochin)
    - Saifa bunkai

Afternoon sea training (1 hour approx.):
    - Kihon - especially kicks + kihon ido, also with those kicks (combinations like mae + mawashi + ushiro geri and such)
    - Gekisai Dai Ichi and Ni - both 6x
    - 3 kihon combinations we practised int he mornings + one new
    - in pairs each of us did all of our bunkai (for me GKI, GKN, Saifa, Seiyunchin)
    - because I finished with my lower graded partner faster, sensei called me to be a partner for him to practise his bunkai - he did only about 18, though, of his advanced kata. He tends to practise on us lately, because he's preparing for his 5th dan grading in Okinawa! :) Being a partner for sensei isn't bad, the bunkai are nice and I can learn and sea what interesting things are avaiting on this journey :)
    - the water this early in the season isn't particularly warm to only stand around in it, so he let me go when he figured I look cold :D

FRIDAY

7:00-7:30 - Advanced training:
    - 1 Sanchin
    - 1 Shisochin
    - We quickly went through the 5 or 6 and sensei taught us the rest of the Shisochin bunkai

- again revising the 3 kihon combinations
    - Renzoku kumite (kata in line) - both sides once
    - San Dan Gi Ichi, Ni, San, Shi, Go - each 3x
    - all of our kata once (GKI - Shisochin)
    - 1 Sanchin
    - Then each person performed their kata they need for the nearest grading in front of others (Saifa for me), and sensei pointed out one of two mistakes each person can work on
    - a short demonstration of kobudo - two kata - I will write more about this below + Sensei performing one of the advanced kata (Seisan perhaps? I can't remember)

Sea training (almost two hours today - when the water was especially cold and after rain, with rainclouds all around):
    - Every kata once. When you don't know the next kata, repeat your highest one, so for me: Sanchin, GKI, GKN, Saifa, Seiyunchin and 5x Shisochin
    - Then the 7 or 8 of us made a circle and the one in the middle was attacked in sequence to practise all the bunkai they know. Which significantly prolonged this training (especially sensei with his 90+ bunkai :D), where I was shivering with cold since the very beginning. It was a lot of fun, though. :) Several of the bunkai include takedowns or in the sea result in splashing water in your face, so when someone splashed water on me on purpose, I made sure to take him down thoroughly etc. Well, it didn't work always, though, the water also made some things difficult, so I managed to avoid being submerged completely at times, but also couldn't get some rascals down, even using completely unbunkai-like methids and ending up on some 90+ kg rascal's back. :D
    I did all the bunkai, including Shisochin. I really can't remember them well, but sensei always showed us and reminded what to do.

SATURDAY
    A little after 9:00 we departed to arrive at our Prague dojo at 23:30 in the evening. I managed to do my 1 Sanchin back at home, then. Conidering we were getting up at 6:30 each morning and went to bed somewhere between 0:45 and 2:00 in the morning, I was fairly tired and slept or at least tried to sleep for most of the journey back.

This whole training camp was great. I'm happy sensei decided to teach us Shisochin. It it the kata I really admired and looked forward to learn so much! More than any other kata for some time. And even better is that we were taught it with the bukai (that I can't remember, though). This kata isn't my focus now, since two weeks from now I'd like to grade, so I should mostly focus on Saifa. However, in July we are going to Okinawa, so me and my friend agreed that even withouth regular trainings until then we should practise Shisochin a lot to be able to practise it on Okinawa, too, should the opportunity arise.

Also for no apparent reason on Wednesday, during the trip, I started to have some trouble with an elbow - sharp pain whenever I completely bend it or completely stretch it. It doesn't hurt otherwise and is getting better, but still hurts until today. Wrist seems healed. I really hate these things where something starts to hurt completely out of nowhere! :(

Also as I mentioned the kobudo demonstration... Some months ago, I wrote about a Shorin-ryu black belt who joined our dojo. I knew he did kobudo, but not much else. Now I found out he does kobudo for 15 years and even teaches it in Prague. And there probably aren't many other places to learn this art in the city. He learns from a master in Italy and is about to go for his 4th dan grading. I had no idea he was so advanced and that he teaches the art! He even said he started with goju-ryu on his master's advise to complement kobudo. Becasue of the grading he brought a lot of weapons to practise with on this trip. I watched him practise his kata with various weapons and tried to talk him into making a small seminar. He agreed, but time and circumstances didn't allow for it in the end. :(
    On Friday, he asked a friend if he could make some pictures of him with the weapons probably for his website. I tagged along as a sparring partner to attack him. Since long I wanted to learn wielding bo. I didn't know where to, but discovered it's a starting weapon in kobudo! :) Also during this photo session I discovered an even cooler weapon - Nunti Bo - the spear :) I held onto it and while the kobudoka was busy getting taken pictures of, me and another friend engaged in a grand battle of Nunbi Bo vs. Tonfa and were parrying and thinking of how to stab or hit each other. When the kobudoka spared us a glance and reprimanded us sourly: "Quit screwing around." :D Which isn't the perfect translation, but was a perfect sentence sending us laughing. Anyway, I heard kobudo is an art complementing and going hand in hand with okinawan karate and I know that several of the IOGKF instructors also know at least a bit of kobudo. And they work with bo! Basically I started scheming about how to learn a bit, too. If I get the job I hope to get, I won't be able to attend regular classes at MA schools. But I took it as my mission to talk this guy into making some classes I can attend. He wasn't particularly against it and he then even offered he could come to dojo to teach and even offered weekends! (Ok, our dojo is small for the weapons kata, but I think we can figure something out) Which would be perfect. Sensei wouldn't be against it, either, and so if all goes well, I could perhaps start with kobudo! :) After summer when everyone's busy, though. I sooo hope it'll work out. I really want to learn with bo! :)

Last edited: Jun 12, 2016
  11. Nachi

Sunday 12.6.16: 1 Sanchin

Monday 13.6.16:

I had to re-pack my things and stuff to do, so I skipped the kids class and only came for the adults. Sensei was busy, so the class was led by my friend. We practised stuff for the grading (of the junior students) and then stayed a little bit longer to do our kata.

18:40-21:40 - Beginner class:
    - Friend so kindly handed me the warm-up with me unprepared, so to make him regret it I proposed we each do the work-out we're supposed to do at our grading. Which was for him and me 60 push-ups, 60 crunches and 60 (sumo) squats. I actually managed to do the 50 push-ups without a break (though as I keep repeating my push-ups aren't perfect, but I'm still happy I can see improvement) :) Then I regretted having eaten so much before training when it came to crunches, but it ended well :D
    - some theory - examing others if they know the names of the senseis of our lineage, name of the IOGKF symbol and other similar easy stuff.
    - Footwork
    - Kihon
    - San Dan Gi Ichi
    - Gekisai Dai Ichi kata
    - Gekisai Dai Ichi bunkai
    - 2x Gekisai Dai Ichi
    - 2x Gekisai Dai Ni
    - 3x Saifa
    - 2x Seiyunchin
    - 3x Shisochin
    - Seiyunchin bunkai
    - Shisochin bunkai - we at least tried to remember them. I think we managed to remember most, except for two that we tried to decipher from the syllabus, which is not easy. We couldn't find the final one we skipped. But remembering most, at least approximately I'd call a success :)

1 Sanchin

This year is full of travels for me. Tomorrow I'm leaving again, this time for Bali (Indonesia). I'll return just before grading, so I'm packing the grading syllabus with me if I find some energy for practising stuff. And I should! If I want to remember the newly learned kata, that is. ...and not have such a bad feeling from kihon ido as usual :) :Angel:

Last edited: Jun 13, 2016
  12. Nachi

Bali holiday

Tuesday 14.6.16: 1 Sanchin
    Wednesday 15.6.16: 1 Sanchin - nothing more, these two days were spent travelling

Thursday 16.6.16:

After-lunch workout in the air conditioned room:
    - 5x20 push-ups
    - 5x20 crunches
    - 5x20 sumo squats
    - 5x20 lunges
    - 5x20 tricep dips

- 1 Sanchin

- 1 min standing in Neko-ashi dachi for both sides
    - 2 min Shiko dachi
    - 1 min plank

18:05 - 19:05 - evening solo training in the room, second haf on the balkony. I planned to go to the beach, but it startem raining, so balkony had to do. The weather here is hot and humid everywhere, though, so I was soaked in sweat soon...
    - 1 Sanchin
    - Kihon - a few techniques + 20 of mawashi, kakato otoshi, mae, fumikomi and mikazuki geri
    - Bunkai once for each side: GKI, GKN, Saifa, Seiyunchin, Shisochin
    - San Dan Gi Ichi, Ni, San (2x), Shi, Go
    - Renzoku kumite (kata in line) both sides twice
    - Kata practise (each twice): Gekisai Dai Ichi, Ni, Saifa, Seyunchin, Shisochin
    - Quickly went through most Kihon and Kihon Ido combinations from the syllabus needed for 6th, 5th and 4th kyu

Last edited: Jun 16, 2016
  13. Nachi

Bali holiday

As much as I started off with a training and hoped to keep it up at least for some days, I failed. I spent 5 and half days there with 3 trips that took most of the day and I generally found myself lazy to practise. I only did:

Friday: 1 Sanchin + 2x30 push-ups (still trying to do at least a little bit! :D)
    Saturday - Monday: only 1 Sanchin each day
    Tuesday: 1 Sanchin + I participated in a pool activity in a hotel - half an hour stretching + half an hour "gym" - basically something I think was aerobic, working mostly with arms. The class was led by a man and well, I had trouble lifting my arms above shoulder-height at the end of it. So at least I did something :)

On Tuesday we left and spent whole 27 hours travelling back. Ugh. So I'm back home now, unfortunately :) Today I will celebrate with yet another 1 Sanchin, at least :D

Last edited: Jun 22, 2016
  14. Travess

Thought for a second there, before getting to the end of the sentence at least, that you'd being doing Sanchin in the Hotel pool...

...Now I want to try it :D

Travess

15. Nachi

Haha, I wasn't bold enough for that! :D Too many people and I'm too shy for that still. I would need at least one buddy to go with me :D But I did it on the balcony along with a whole lot of other things! :D And planned the beach in the evening, but didn't find time/energy for it in the end :(

16. Travess

I'll be a gentleman and not ask - Glad you enjoyed your Holiday!

Travess

17. Nachi

Oh... You! XD Right, I'm such an exhibicionist! :D
    ...I better not say anything more before I say something misleading again, haha :D

18. Nachi

Thursday 23.6.16:

Again in a dojo after a long time and after more than a month it was a training with head sensei (in the dojo, I trained with him in Croatia). The first question I got was when did I return and how much did I train... :)

18:30-20:00 - Beginner class:

- practising Gekisai Dai Ichi, slowly, in reverse (mirror side), then full power
    - Junbi Undo
    - Footwork
    - 10 Neko-Undo
    - Belly work-out: lying down and cycling with the legs (in reverse), then swinging legs up and down
    - San Dan Gi San - first part by part, then together
    - 10 or 20 knuckle push-ups with staying down for a bit. I hate these. I had to skip one or two and generally didn't go too low. I don't have enough strenght for that. Need to practise.
    - half of the ippon kumite sequences - all the kicking ones
    - 240 "half" or short sit-ups - In the end my belly didn't hurt as much as my neck, so I was obviously doing it wrong. Probably because I tried to make it somehow easier for me. Need to practise.
    - Somewhere in between we also made a circle shoulder to shoulder, squatted down (on the toes) and went only tiny bit up and down, moving quickly. 80 Wa just about enough and when sensei announced another round, two people stepped out, so in total we did 140.
    - Then Gekisai Dai Ichi performed in front of others, getting corrections and correcting
    - It is possible I forgot something we did....

Today was a hot day, around 36°C. So a friend opened the window, only to be shut closed by sensei saying we're training to be able to survive in Okinawa, so no air for us and no drinking during the whole training either... :cry:

20:05-21:35 - Advanced class: - someone opened the window and sensei either didn't notice or more likely forgot to close it, yay! :D
    - Sensei Kanryo Higaonna's Sanchin 2x, then normal (Miyagi Chojun's) Sanchin probably also twice. Than once with push-ups in between steps.
    - For the Sanchin training we were told to take off our t-shirt (optional for girls, but we went for it). It was a way to battle the heat, too, so we somehow ended up not putting in back on for the rest of the training...
    - All combinations of ippon kumite + oyo (or own techniques)
    - Again 10 of those terrible knuckle go-down-and-stay-fo-a-bit push-ups
    - Kata: GKN, Saifa, Seiyunchin - all 2x
    - The three kihon combinations we practised in Croatia
    - Again the lying down and cycling thing, 140x I think
    - Bunkai for GKI, GKN and Saifa (all we have to know for the grading now) and since our pair had a spare time, sensei used us as to train his bunkai for one advanced kata.
    - (terrible) 280 Calf raises (in a circle with someone definitely pushing me down a bit or at least having really heavy arms. I suspect sensei, who was next to me... :thinking:

I had a bit of a problem to concentrate and wasn't in top shape, but otherwise it was a great training. Especially the guys left the mats soaked with sweat...
    This was also the last official training of the school year. Tomorrow we're leaving for a weekend training camp, where, probably on Saturday, we're going to grade. Or at least attempt it :) So I hope I'll be able to show the best in me :)

Last edited: Jun 24, 2016
  19. Nachi

White Rock training camp

24.-26.6. 2016

Again after a year, my trird White Rock training camp. An awesome event with a lot of training and also including our grading. It was a big event with all the senseis and about 70 people attending.
    This year we were told the main focus of this seminar will be kata.

FRIDAY
    1 Sanchin
    We came late and barely missed the evening training, which, as we found out was focused on learning Sanseru kata. What a pity!

SATURDAY
    In program the first hour of the morning trainings was written to be about Sanseru. Both today and tomorrow. I thought it would be a black belt training only (since Sanseru is a kata required for the 2nd dan grading), as it often is, but sensei said anyone who learned the beginning of the kata yesterday can come and that the less advanced students are welcome, too, so we were also invited! :)

8:30-9:35 - Sanseru bunkai:
    This hour was spent learning the bunkai for this kata and a bit of the kata itself just to see where the bunkai come from. This is also my only second time learning the bunkai for the kata right from the beginning and definitely first time learning the bunkai before tha kata itself.

9:40-12:00 - General morning training:
    We were asked who is planning to grade this weekend (about 20 people). Those of us who do would be observed doring the morning training by the senseis also as a part of our grading. The training wasn't too exhausting, but it was hot, again around 36°C and our sensei wanted to make it a challenge for us, so during his block he took us our of the shade to train in the almost midday sun. He also challenged all of us who are planning to go to Okinawa to not drink during the training. But we sabotaged that. I would perhaps tried if the training wasn't part of the grading, but like this I did drink in between the blocks. And his training in the sun was, well, a challenge by itself.

1st block:
    - Junbi Undo - with some techniques we each thought of

2nd block:
    - Sanchin kata - I think we did at least two at some point
    - The rest of the block was spent learning the steps of Sanseru kata. For these block we were divided into groups and the greenbelts who were going to grade this weekend, like me, were put into the most advanced group beginning with us and ending with the 2nd dan.

3rd block:
    - Renzoku kumite (kata in line) - for Gekisai Dai Ichi, Gekisai Dai Ni and Saifa

- Kata demonstration - we performed Saifa - because that's the kata for our nearest grading

Grading (16:15-17:30):
    A short one this time. Probably also because we were observed in the morning. Anyway. The weather was just before a storm and with slight rain at the beginning - therefore with comfortable temperature. Finally.
    We did most of the things from the syllabus. All grades were examined at the same time with all four of the association's highest senseis present. The kihon and kihon ido I'm usually most scared of was surprisingly short and easy. There was only one, and the easiest of the 8 combinations we were supposed to perform for the green or blue belt I was grading for. Than all the kata + bunkai. For Sanchin we were asked to take our t-shirts off and this was my first time grading with Sanchin shime - the testing of the posture. The one who stood behind me to give shime at one point of the kata was my sensei. Which wasn't too good, because I knew he won't go too easy on me. But he was a bit more gentle than when we practised once in the dojo before (at that time I had a bruise the size of his hand on my calf). Today I only left with not too pronounced bruises on my trapezii.
    Than the final work-out wasn't push-ups, crunches and sit-ups, but punches to the belt held by the partner. Sensei came to me and told me to relax before doing kime. I tried and I did as this is the thing I'm trying to learn. And although I felt like I'm relaxing all I could he still wasn't too satisfied. Though later in some combinations he praised me for the exact same thing - that I'm relaxing and moving instead of being stiff. Anyway the grading today was surprisingly easy. Although now it wasn't completely over yet, because another, kumite training just started and we were ordered to participate, too.

17:40-19:00 - Kumite training:
    It was starting to rain a bit harder so we squeezed under a giant linden tree. We did some light sparring, a bit of kote kitae (iron body conditioning) and since the rain was getting more and more intense we moved again, this time into the dining room. It was crowded so there was, in the end, no sparring because of the limited space and time and we only again practised our sensei's favoured three + one new combinations. Which was fun.

After diner the grading results were announced. All of us passed, although some barely, especially from the lower grades, as senseis said. But I did get my blue belt! :) And my sensei probably was happy about how I did. Yay! :) Also another good thing was that after just returning from my holiday in Indonesia, I didn't really have much time to think about hte grading nor to get nervous. So I didn't stress at all. The main reason I wanted to pass was because of the upcoming Budosai seminar in Okinawa. Despite that, even if I was told I didn't pass, I think I wouldn't be too dissapointed. Probably :)

SUNDAY

I don't think any of the yesterday's training were particularly exhauting, but I, as all the other people obviously, feel sore all over. Letting out grunts during the stretching and suffering slightly when it came to some working out. :)

8:30-9:30 - Sanseru kata training:
    - 2 Sanchin (I think)
    - Last bunkai that we didn't have enough time for yesterday and then learning the whole kata. Not too easy to memorise it this quickly so we struggled, but I think I do have the steps in my head. Now the question remains how much and wheather I should practise it on my own. The season is over and most trainings we are going to get during the summer will most likely be without senseis. So the chances are we'll learn it with a lot of mistakes. And it's not a kata we'll need in a long time. Even Shisochin we learned earlier this month is advanced for us. But Since I was explained the steps and bunkai, it would be a pity to let myself forget it. So we'll probably be practising the steps and given the opportunity ask senseis for corrections if we meet them. Well, we pretty much did this with Seiyunchin we were taught at this training camp last year.

9:40-12:00 - General morning training:

1st block:
    - Warm-up + Junbi Undo

2nd block:
    Our group had a sensei who is awesome at al sorts of joint manipulations, take-downs, throws etc. He did aikido in the past and often also shows techniques from judo, not sure what experiences he has with that. He had us perform Seiyunchin kata and in pairs pick two bunkai and work on their oyo forms. Usually ending with a throw, lock and the like. I partnered with a black belt friend and it was so much fun. We were lazy to think too much and when we showed what we thought of to sensei, he would shoe us how to do something similar, but better. So we did learn quite a few techniqes, becasue he got impatient watching our tries. Then we often discussed stuff with the next other pair. The biggest guy of all always pointed sensei out to me, since he didn't want to be tossed around :mad:
    Sensei was ok with us talking a relaxing a bit.
    Until the photographer came around. I took my partner to her knees...

[​IMG]

...and when the nearby friends saw we get the attention of the camera, it only took a few seconds for the scene to turn into this:

[​IMG]

Only then did I notice sensei in the distance watching us with folded arms... :D

When the photographer came the next time, we engaged in a grand battle for a change.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

...before sensei came and chased the laughing photographer away :D
    It was a lot of fun :D

3rd block:
    With another sensei we continued to practise Seiyunchin and its bunkai. But the time was enough to only go through 1-8 out of 12.

4th short block:

All the people together. Just like last year each shows a technique all of us do 10x. Then in honor of sensei Higaonna we each repeat our technique 77x. I knew it was coming now. Last year I picked an axe kick and felt sorry, but today I thought I'd challenge myself and pick it again :) I was among the last 3 who finished with their techniques, so we had to endure the glares of the rest of hte students who were told to hold in a horse stance until everyone finishes. Phew. I tried to hurry, I did! :)

Anyway, that concluded this year's seminar and the whole season. I came home exhausted, falling across my bed at 8 pm, gathering energy to go brush my teeth when I woke up at 2 am and slept for another 6 hours or so :D

Last edited: Jun 28, 2016
  20. Nachi

Monday 27.6.16:

16:30-17:30 - Beginner children class:
    The semester officially ended, but a friend promised she would do one more class, so I went to help. Two boys came. One whom I saw for the first time, but who had been coming on Wednesdays and who's said to always keep sulking. And he started for no reason after the inicial warm-up and spent the rest of the class sulking in a corner... With the other boy we practised various stuff he'll also need for a grading and thought of some fun exercises. I think it was a good class. If I don't count the sulking....

17:45-18:15 - Short bunkai training:

A friend who isn't feeling well came to stop by before he went to get some rest at home. His purpose was to quickly go through the Shisochin and Sanseru bunkai we just learned. And also repeat the bunkai for Seiyunchin. We managed that in the dressing rooms since the dojo was occupied with yoga class.

18:40-21:10 - Beginner adult class:
    The semester is done so no senseis today. So the class was more or less led by me.
    - Game of tag for a warm-up, using hands, than legs, than butt to tag people
    - 10 squats, 10 push-ups
    - Stretching
    - Then a friend had an idea to do some pad work. I agreed but handed that part of the class to him since he's good and always has many combinations in his mind. So we did about 4 and practised mawashi geri - this took half an hour
    - I thought we could practise the 4 combinations sensei has been teaching us. There was an odd number of people now, so I explained and instead of training myself went around giving tips or helping others with the technique. At least I hope it was helpful :D
    - The more or less official training ended now at 20:00 Most people stayed though for practising San Dan Gi Ichi, Ni and San. The last one was new for some of them so I tried to explain.
    - I wanted to go through my kata but had someone ask to explain Saifa to him, he doesn't remember and should know it, so I did and also taught it to another friend who missed the explaining class because of some unfortunate events. Since others at her level were learning it, I taught her the steps.
    - I went through my kata then:
    - Saifa once more
    - 1x Seiyunchin
    - 3x Shisochin
    - 3x Sanseru (looks like I remember! :) )
    - As for Sanseru and Shisochin I went through them twice before today to see if I didn't forget.

1 Sanchin

Last edited: Jun 28, 2016