Back injury

Discussion in 'Injuries and Prevention' started by dangkoen, May 21, 2016.

1. dangkoen

dangkoen New Member

On an informative Karate website, I stumbled upon the following sentence from a practitioner concerning an injury he suffered:

"Crushed vertebrae doing back kicks with the spine in the direction of the kick."

What exactly did he do wrong in his technique that he suffered this injury? You may reply with videos if necessary.

2. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

Can you ask anyone on that website for more information?

My guess is hunching so the bend in the spine is pointing behind you is what was meant by "spine in the direction of the kick". It could be easy to hunch on the first part of the back kick when looking behind and tucking the chin; however, there should not be a hunch when kicking. The spine is more straight.

Not perfect form because the knee flares out early, but still a very good kick and I would not want to be on the receiving end:

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlO_1fBCpEs"]Adam Mcdonough vs Andrey Koreshkov Highlights - YouTube[/ame]

Hunching is generally not good posture, which basically means it isn't good for the back.

3. dangkoen

dangkoen New Member

Well, I asked the administrator of the website where I found the comment. He also says either bad posture aka hunching or the person just had weak back muscles. Thanks for your reply!

4. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

People tend to throw a lot of power into kicks to make up for poor form and postural weaknesses, this is how to get injured easily.

also I doubt he actually crushed his own vertebrae, he probobly twinged a bulging disc etc.