Gracie Academy???

Discussion in 'Brazilian Jiu Jitsu' started by Klaus7, May 27, 2016.

1. Klaus7

Klaus7 Map Noob :)

Just wondering if there are any in south west london or south london or london.

Just had my first bjj lesson today!

2. Dunc

Dunc Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

Roger Gracie Academy in Latimer Rd is excellent

3. Klaus7

And is this an actual verified academy of Gracie? the dude on youtube...?

4. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Best bjj practitioner in the world. I'm sure he knows what he's doing.

5. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

Yeah, I'd say Roger is better than his cousin so I wouldn't worry about it, and anyway even if he wasn't you'd be learning at his physical school, not a twice removed affiliate.

6. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

http://www.gym-talk.com/leo-negao-interview/

Your new bjj schools teachers own coach is far more interesting then the GA guys -

There's no GA in London, because London has multiple world class bjj schools including Roger Gracie's own acadamy.

7. Dead_pool

8. Knee Rider

Knee Rider Valued Member Supporter

Don't buy into the hype. Many Gracie Academy schools are run by poorly qualified instructors and I'm not a fan of the whole thing.

If you want the gracie name then go to Gracie barra. If you live near Roger you'd be mental not try there.

Your current school is better than Gracie Academy.

9. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Your coach is Leo Negao? Dont know why youre shoppi g around then. Is he still teaching at Urban Kings?

10. Dead_pool

His teachers teacher is Leo,
    If you look up baddass In the dictionary Leo's picture is just above mine!

11. Klaus7

I know its sorta why I want to change and be taught by one of the Gracie peoples

12. Klaus7

Hes my teachers coach...

13. Klaus7

+1

14. Klaus7

Right so who would you recommend more? Barra Roger or a place called budokwai.. note at the last place i can also do judo which imo is one of the best thing you can do with bjj.

15. Klaus7

I see what youre saying but its not the same... being taught by the best and then by his pupil... two whole new concepts imo. plus my current coach diccon... he hasnt taught me the fundamentals even.. in my first lesson i learnt a move(forget its name now...) and then he expected me to spar which i did. Not to mention im the only noob there so he just teaches everyone the more advanced stuff.... you cant make a house without the foundation just as you need to learn basics to advance. i feel his classes are a bit more advanced than beginners as i asked each how long they were doing bjj for the least was about 1 year- 6 months.

16. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

It's a marathon not a sprint

17. Klaus7

So guys basically... The place Im at now I feel is not beginner friendly as in they are learning complex stuff and I dont yet even know the basics. hence i feel i need to change and go to a more beginner friendly environment and who knows one day i may return to diccons bjj club.

So where would yall recommend out of the following baring in mind everything from the distance to each to price to teachers and environment.

1-Budokwai-£80 one of fee and around £10 each session I attend to not mention if i also do judo that would be an extra £80 one of fee and £10 each session.(£45 for each gi)

2.Roger Gracie who im approx 35mins away from... this ones a bit weird i think its a 6 month contract and £80 a month? or £100 a month for a 12 month contract but you get access to everything and a on of fee of £50.

3. according the the gracie website theres a guy by the name of 'sachaking' hes the first person to graduate from the gracie academy and is rated a level 4? Live about an hour away.. he charges £100/ph and youll need around 36 hours in total to pass the combative programme.

Wow side note I live kinda close to a ton of good bjj clubs! Lucky me.

18. Klaus7

I feel like this is sort of what im trying to get at here... would you elaborate on you statement please? :)

19. webcrest

webcrest Valued Member

Roger Gracie academy is the best in my opinion if you really wanna have a good bjj training....... instructors over there are really brilliant and able.

Please don't spam advertise for your club. The thread clearly states the OP is looking for a bjj club. - Southpaw

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 3, 2016
  20. Klaus7

Lol Karate.. Thats just not me i feel weird doing it and end up laughing at myself not sure why..