Ropers' testicular pat down show

Discussion in 'Self Defence' started by Knee Rider, May 24, 2016.

1. Knee Rider

Knee Rider Valued Member Supporter

Found this video while surfing YouTube.

It's all in French but it appears to be some silat guy(?) Showing off by demoing bar based self defence techniques. I use self defence in the loosest possible sense as all the techniques appear to Involve kicking and slapping fellow patrons in the nutsack while they stand there doing nothing. Which makes me think this is an especially fitting example of everything wrong with the self defence community in that it shows completely over the top responses against passive opponents, that are linked together in ways that are essentially predicated on a total lack of violent intent coming back at you. So it'll either get you battered or stuck in jail for manslaughter.

I think it's awful.

https://youtu.be/5hZZtKN2Pkc

2. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

He's going to get glassed.

3. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Thought this was a TSA training video.

4. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

To be fair, it makes no claims to be self defence, it says it's bar fighting.
    Define self defence community. I'd say this is everything wrong with the people who do TMA and have no real understanding of self defence.

5. Ben Gash CLF

It's also VERY representative of the problems within the Silat community. I mean if I were to make a Silat parody video half of it would look like that.

6. Knee Rider

Fair enough on both counts.

The 'self defence community' is a pretty broad brush. It's the camo pant wearing throat strike fetishist end of the scale I'm referring to rather than the better end if the spectrum: The ones that advocate the shredder for...well ...anything, rather than those that advocate a context appropriate use if force in line with your countries law. Also people that think Street means nuts shots = #instawin.

7. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

But it's not even that. There wasn't any fighting.

Really bizarre. Like ending a combo of a dozen throat, jaw and groin shots with a kick to the thigh... why? Smashing someone's face in for leaning on a table, and then rubbing your hand on their crotch... so odd!

I really hate that kind of ego show. The whole "look how nasty I am to my students and they just take it" kind of demonstrations. I find it disgusting.

Still, as long as the nasty bastards are occupying themselves with that rubbish, I don't mind.

8. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

That is what I thought too. Didn't watch the whole thing, but at one point he attacked the guy with him facing sideways with both hands on the bar. What is that? Certainly someone in that position is not an immediate threat.

Not self defense for sure. Not even a fight at that point.

9. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

But as with all things, it's easier to reach for the cliché; typical of you BJJ "GET IN MY GUARD" guys who think the answer to 25 guys rushing you from 50 metres away is to lie on your back and wait for them to, well...

Mitch :D

10. SWC Sifu Ben

SWC Sifu Ben I am the law

I stopped about a minute in after the pseudo neck break. There's some stuff in there which could be legitimately useful but is unfortunately mixed in with a lot of flash and sizzle.

11. Knee Rider

What? you act like that isn't a good plan :confused: :hat:

Actually one of my go to strategies when cornered by a raging hord would be to lie down, curl up and take it. It's the same strategy I adobt when my girlfriend finds me tapping away on MAP surrounded by last night's unwashed dinner dishes.

12. Knee Rider

Those were the primary things that stood out to me as well.

13. Ben Gash CLF

That's what I meant really, lack of pressure coupled with extreme overkill.

14. kuntaoer

kuntaoer Valued Member

As a southeast asian martial arts practitioner with a foundation in chinese and filipino kuntao with a small background of training in silat, I give this two thumbs down... :bang::jawdrop: