Introduce Yourself

Discussion in 'Brazilian Jiu Jitsu' started by Ghost Frog, Oct 12, 2006.

1. Ghost Frog

Ghost Frog New Member

OK, we've got our own forum now, so why don't we all introduce ourselves? :)

I live in Liverpool in the UK. I've been doing BJJ/ Sub grappling for about 18 months now on and off.

I've just returned from a career break where I trained at Gracie Barra in Rio de Janeiro and learnt to tap out like a pro. :)

I also trained at Adam Metcalf's academy in Perth, Australia: http://www.mixedmartialarts.com.au/

Kempo1975 likes this.
  2. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

Um, okay. I live in America. After a bit of TKD I cut my teeth, so to speak, with Jap JJ and a small amount of judo. When I moved to another state I joined a Machado BJJ school and tried that for 13 months. (Bob Bass was my instructor.) From that experience I learned that I'm a stand-up fighter, not a ground fighter. Oh well. Now I know.

3. Alexander

Alexander Possibly insane.

Currantly I've done BJJ for five hours! I've also started Judo with the intention of competing for the Uni team, but with the real reason of gaining as much ground experience as possible (I can only do BJJ a few times each week).

So I've found its my new passion!

4. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

Dude, do it! That rocks!

5. Topher

Topher allo!

BJJ @ Carlson Gracie for about 4 weeks. I've not actually been for about 3 or 4 weeks due to Uni.

6. Origami Itto

Origami Itto Walking Paths

I have only attended one seminar and one session as a guest, but i greatly enjoyed groundfighting in my JJJ classes :). BJJ is something that i am very interested in, and i realy really want to do, including competition. I plan to join the nearest gym (http://www.brazilianjiujitsu.gr/) as soon as i sort out my studying, my daily muay thai training and a little (i hope) back problem - so probably not soon enough :(

7. retro

retro New Member

I'm from Zagreb, capital of Croatia and I am addicted to brazilian jiu jitsu :cool:
    I've been training for 9 months now

8. Korpy

Korpy Whatever Works

My name is Corey. Just starte BJJ about 2 weeks ago. Had about 3 no gi classes, and sometime next week I'll have my first gi class. I'm a white betl, and woking hard.

9. TheMightyMcClaw

TheMightyMcClaw Dashing Space Pirate

I am the Alex. I'm a student at the University of Michgian and a member of the UM Brazilian Jiu-jitsu/Submission Wrestling club. I also do Karate, wushu, and whatever else I can get my hands on.

10. Stalkachu

Stalkachu resU deretsigeR

Hey there.

I've been doing BJJ for a little over a year, and I'm a blue belt at Roger Gracie Academy, London. It's basically all I do all day every day, and I love it and intend to devote as much of my time to it as possible over the next few years and see where it takes me. Love the competing, and love the winning. ^_^

Nice to see all of y'all.

Take care,

Stalks

11. Mei Hua

Mei Hua Banned Banned

I've been doing Rickson Gracie BJJ for six months now, along with a host of other MMA skills including Judo, JJJ, Wrestling which I've been doing for years.

I mainly am a striker, but have included groundwork as a necessity as I compete at the amateur/pro level.

12. RunningDog

RunningDog Valued Member

That's cool, most people need jobs, but not the lucky ones I guess...
    Were you at the ADCC London open? If so, how far d'ya get?

I've been training GJJ and Judo about 3 months. I was training in wing chun/tsun for about 9 years before that, then I stumbled on a website called Bullshido... and I thank my lucky stars I did. Throws and groundfighting are 10 times more fun, and with no pyramid scheme. I no longer consider myself a chunner *pats self on back*.

13. Stalkachu

Yeah, I was. Came 4th in the end, which was more than a little frustrating, but hey. I was small for my weight class, and it's not like I got dominated in any of the fights I lost, so I can't complain (I'm also very good at rationalising losing. ^_^). How'd you do? And what weight class? (-79kg)

And I admit I was a three year chunner and part-time instructor of that, as well as a host of other dabblings in martial arts before. Had a big MMA phase about a year ago, tried everything, started doing BJJ once a week, then three times a week, now, like, eight. And there's always something new to learn!

Take care,

Stalks

14. Emil

Emil Valued Member

Japanese Juujutsu - prefer striking to grappling, and standing to ground work

15. Mei Hua

Mei Hua Banned Banned

So do I, but in reality that's not always the case, so best to be prepared.

16. RunningDog

RunningDog Valued Member

I wasn't there, but I recognised the name STalkachu from an iCombat thread by a dude who posts as Liffguard, I think one of your fights was with him?
    Howd'ya find the ruleset? A guy from our class said you couldn't pull guard or something, he lost his only fight because he pulled a guy into a guillotine. Not surprisingly he wrapped his legs round the dude, which was judged as pulling guard and he lost the fight.

17. g-bells

g-bells Don't look up!

i live in ohio and itrain in jkd.

18. Stalkachu

I saw that and felt kinda bad for the guy, but the rules were pretty clearly explained beforehand so I knew what I was getting into. I think he must have missed the rules meeting or something. Basically, the rule was pulling guard gives you -1 point. He was even, jumped guard at the end of time (with the guillotine) to try and finish the fight and lost as a result. The technical terms were 'going to your back voluntarily', I think. But I pulled guard before points were in, so it never really effected me. Actually, I got taken down before points were in, but I kinda let it happen. Cannae be bothered with this stand-up lark. ^_^

And yes, I used to train with Liffguard back in the day. Only just managed to beat him. Was a great fight!

Might upload the videos of the day if anyone's interested.

Take care,

Stalks

19. RunningDog

RunningDog Valued Member

Yay vids. Do it!

20. slideyfoot

slideyfoot Co-Founder of Artemis BJJ

Clearly I haven't been checking MAP properly: didn't even notice this forum!

Very recently started BJJ at the Roger Gracie Academy, so I know Stalkachu (he did my intro :) ). On the one hand wish I could have started earlier before getting injured last year, which put me out for a long time, but on the other probably couldn't have afforded it until my pay rise this September. ;)