Will this work?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by CombatPotatoe, Aug 17, 2016.

1. CombatPotatoe

CombatPotatoe New Member

Hi,

I want to touch my toes, because why not.
    For now I'm missing 30cm.

If every morning and every night I try to touch them going at my maximum for 30 sec (where it hurts a bit), will it improve my flexibility?

Is is possible to overdo it and cause damage? I was highly motivated today and did 8 times 30 sec (with a 30 sec pause) this morning.

Thanks.

2. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

Touching the toes is often stretching the back rather than the hamstrings. Most often not in a good way.

Try some of these stretches:

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZ32h05edv0"]Top 5 - Hamstring Stretches - YouTube[/ame]

3. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Welcome to MAP.

First off make sure you are bending over from the correct hinge point.

Take a look at this then let us know how far you are away from touching your toes.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8QgVfo03nM"]How to touch your toes - YouTube[/ame]

4. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

The standing forward bend (also known as "standing pike" in gymnastics and uttanasana in yoga) is a tricky position to accurately measure range of motion in, because it's so easy to get false measurements by excessively flexing the lumbar or thoracic spine.

As Simon quite rightly pointed out, hinging at the hips while keeping a neutral spine (much like you would do in a Romanian or stiff-leg deadlift) will give you a better indication of how much flexibility you have through your posterior chain. It also makes your stretches much more effective.

No-one can answer your question(s) better than trying to answer them for yourself. While the general principles of flexibility training remain the same, we all respond slightly differently. Experiment with different durations of stretches, number of applications per day, number of repetitions per set and stretching positions over the course of several weeks or even months. It takes time to get it right. Compare the results and see for yourself.

Some guidance which might help you - people are (usually) more flexible later in the day than first thing in the morning, 3-4 sets is enough to reach one's neurological limit for that stage of training, and stretching two or more times a day is no more effective that stretching just once a day.

Consider also that missing hamstring length is not the sole cause for poor ROM in the standing pike. Nor is that missing length necessarily due to short and tight hamstrings. You should experiment with: 1) different movement patterns and intensities of activities prior to stretching (e.g. jogging on the spot for 10-15 minutes vs squats and deadlifts), 2) different types of stretching methods (e.g. include dynamic and isometric stretches in your flexibility workouts also), and 3) different strategies for addressing issues other than tight musculature (e.g. foam
    rolling, ball smashing, banded distractions and "flossing").

5. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

Strange, I can still bend over and put my palms flat on the floor. Always been super flexible in the back, not sure why...

6. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

What line of work are you in?

7. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Watch this vid with subtitles. Its amazing!

To OP. That's a good simple goal, with a deceptively large amount of work doing.
    Involve calf, hams and back stretching (do it after work outs) if you got a partner to help you stretch even better.

At home, i sit in certain stretched out positions, just making my body comfortable in doing so and it doesnt feel like work.

Good luck!

8. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Some people are just cursed!! :evil:

Mrs Shroom is an 9-5 office worker. Barely works out (swims maybe twice a month) eats horribly yet is still slim and can sit crossed legged and forehead touch the floor like its nothing.

Then complains how I train so much but is achey and grumpy.