Having surgery soon. :/

Discussion in 'Injuries and Prevention' started by matveimediaarts, May 13, 2016.

1. matveimediaarts

matveimediaarts Underappreciated genius

So, the neurologist says my VNS implant has to be replaced. The scar will be between my left armpit and pec-and probably left neck because the leads seem to be dead. When that's done, I'll not be allowed to pull/push/press any significant amount of weight for 2-3 months, most likely. How should I adjust my diet during that time? I'd like to avoid gaining fat and losing muscle during recovery.:bang:

2. Guitar Nado

Guitar Nado Valued Member

Not sure what to tell you about your diet, as that is an individual thing, and I don't have tremendous luck with that myself. I just wanted to wish you well, and hope you get a speedy recovery. Play lots of guitar during your time off from weightlifting...

3. matveimediaarts

Actually, I'm expecting to not even be allowed that. Last few times I had this done the doctor was paranoid about me opening the scar (it's closed with medical glue instead of stitches) that I had to stop playing for a few months. :'( :bang:

4. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

If you track your macros, you can try to keep protein high-ish, and reduce calories by reducing mainly carbs and fats. High protein should help preserve lean mass somewhat.

5. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

Good luck with your recovery! :)

6. Guitar Nado

Guitar Nado Valued Member

That is rough! If it is for 3 months, maybe you could learn some Tai Chi during that time if you take it really easy?

Anyways, good luck with it!

7. matveimediaarts

Thanks for the well wishes, all! :D I'll update this thing with detail WRT how long my downtime will be and whatnot when I learn myself. Still waiting for the surgeon to call. :/ :p

8. flaming

flaming Valued Member

I used follow paleo diet plus rice and potatoes. If you follow everything on marks daily apple you wouldn't have much cash left to spend on other things. Even tinned tuna is considered :evil:...

Anything I have read by Nate Miyaki, on nutrition, makes sense to me.

That reminds me of that book by George Orwell - Cigarettes Vs Books.

9. matveimediaarts

Okay, I survived! :D Still raspy-voiced from the anesthesia. :p Got some pretty good sized scars...defintely won't be liftan' or much else 'tall this summer. :( I haz teh sad.I'll keep y'all's advice in mind. Thanks! :D :cool:

10. flaming

flaming Valued Member

Get well soon.

11. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

Let me know if you need any ideas for short people activities instead :p

Have a speedy recovery! :D