Keeping a training log

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by Simon, Mar 6, 2016.

1. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Thinking of starting a training log, but not sure what content to add?

Well we have some really good logs you can review, but here are a few tips to help you out.

What do I put in a training log?

A diary is the basis for assessment. A record of events, including personal development.

You shouldn't just include the workout you've just done, but the workout you plan to do.

You should also add the meals you eat, hydration levels, sleep patterns and mood.

This will help you review how certain meals and training affect your physical and mental wellbeing and how well you are recovering.

Set goals.

You would have heard the phrase "train smart", but you can break that down to help achieve your goals.

A goal setting diary should include the following:

• Specific
    • Measurable
    • Achieveable
    • Realistic
    • Time-constrained

Specific

The goal must be specific to what you want to achieve. This may be either performance or fitness.

It's not enough to say, I want to be fitter", you need to say, "I want to improve speed, stamina or strength".

Measureable

Goals must be stated in terms that are measureable.
    You can't say, "I want to improve my first serve percentage", as it isn't measureable, however, you can say, "I want to improve my first serve success by 20%", as it is measureable.

Achieve

It must be possible to actually achieve the goals.

Realistic

We need to be realistic in our goal setting and look to what factors may stop us achieving that goal.

Time-constrained

There must be a timescale or deadline on the goal. This means you can review the success. It's best to put a date you wish to achieve the goal by.

How to set goals

The best way to do this is to answer three questions.

• What do I want to achieve? (desired state)
    • Where am I now (present state)
    • What do I need to do to move from my present state to my desired state?

Then present this on a scale

1. Write in your goals at point 5 and your present position in point 1
    2. Decide what would be halfway between points 1 and 5 and this is your goal for point 3; this is your short-term goal for point 2
    3. this is your short-term goal for point 2
    4. Then decide what would be halfway between point 3 and the desired state; this is the goal for point 4
    5. All these goals are outcome goals and must be set using the SMART principle
    6. Work out what needs to be done to move from point 1 to point 2. These are your process goals and must again use the SMART principle.

Feedback

If you've kept a record of short, medium and long term goals then you'll be able to include your own feedback.

For example you can measure for yourself how you are doing with your flexibility targets.

With something technical such as sparring, or kata, then feedback will come from classmates or your instructor or maybe your assessor.

Include that in your log and review your goals again.

Don't fear failure if you don't reach your goals.

The training log is there for you to review how and why your training has progressed, or reached sticking points.

When in discussion with others they'll be able to see what you've been doing and why you've hit a sticking point.

The log is there to show progress, to keep you motivated and for you to understand where improvements have been made.

In summary and for those wanting to post a training log, but not sure about the first post include the following:

• Long term goals over the next year
    • Medium term goals over the next three months
    • Short term goals over the next month
    • Training - strength, endurance, speed, power, flexibility, weight
    • How many times per week are you training
    • Diet - vegetarion, vegan, gluten free etc
    • Do you drink or smoke? Stress levels / work / family
    • Any injuries? Back, shoulder, knees etc
    • Do you take any medication (remember your privacy)

Good luck and we look forward to some new training logs.

2. flaming

flaming Valued Member

I think this probably applies to life as well?

3. flaming

flaming Valued Member

Shouldn't this be a sticky or somethink :confused:

4. JesusIsTheBest

JesusIsTheBest New Member

I've been keeping a training log for years. In my log I write down how many punches, kicks, ect of each kind I do. Usually I do them in sets of 100, for instance if I do 100 round kicks I write down that I did 100 round kicks for that workout session. I also keep a long of what kinds and how many blocks I do, it comes in very helpful.

Apparently it takes a minimum of 20,000 repetitions to truly ingrain a technique, to truly wire it, and that's just the bare minimum leaving no margin for error. If you really want to wire a technique you should do at least twice that amount, at least 40,000 repetitions. Obviously you're not going to do an entire 40,000 repetitions in one workout session, so a training log really helps you record how much you've done so you can reach your goal.