Wrist Injury

Discussion in 'Injuries and Prevention' started by dbl0, Feb 11, 2016.

1. dbl0

dbl0 Member

Hi All,

Just wanted to find out about training with injured wrists and see what experiences others have had.

I train in Feng Shou Kung Fu and have recently started to learn Tai Chi, almost 3 years ago I injured both my wrists doing some heavy pad work and after about 2 years of painful and popping wrists it turns out that I actually tore my scalpholunate ligaments.

I had a scalpholunate reconstruction on my right wrist but will hold off getting the other one fixed until I really need to. I am five months post op now and have been fully signed off from physiotherapy as I have reached the limits of my new range of motion. Which is 15 - 18 degrees flexation and 25 - 30 degrees extention, which is not great.

There are lots of things I am not able to do with the hand now and I am learning to adapt in my training as obviously grapling, locks and heavy sparring are now out of the question as I cannot risk further damage to it as the next step I am told is a wrist fusion or metal rod to stop all movement.

I can still teach and train, just within new limits.

Has anyone else had a similar injury and continued training and what changes or limitations did you need to make ?

2. flaming

flaming Valued Member

I've had wrist and hand pain in the past. The yoga I do involves a lot of pushup and I'd do that several times a week as well as do pushups and attempting to do a handstand.

I have found that reducing the amount of exercise I do involving the joint in question and concentrating on my posture or form during said exercise; that involve the painful joint helps... after sufficient rest, 20 days usually seems about right for me.

I would suggest minimizing the amount of pad work you do. And do it (and anything else that involves the wrists) first in your workouts/training. Focus on your form instead.

I imagine you probably know more about correct punching/palm strike technique than myself, and how your form probably deteriates in some way as you get more exhausted. if you could have someone else check your technique while you do the pad work that would probably help.

This is just anecdotal advice.