Your fav boxing combo

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by EdiSco, Jan 22, 2016.

1. EdiSco

EdiSco Likes his anonymity

As the title says...

I'm just gona focus on one for the next year: Jab-Jab (low/high) - right cross - left hook - right uppercut :cool:

2. hewho

hewho Valued Member

sounds good, can we have a video of how it's improved every few months? :)
    When I was boxing I liked doing a 'double jab, low right hook, high left hook, right uppercut' on the pads, used it in sparring both in boxing and sanda with varying success, depending on opponents. I don't do pure boxing any more, but if I'm doing rounds on the bag in the gym I'll still use this combo, it gets you changing the height of your strike, and you can mix the tempo up.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2016
  3. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

I don't box that much and I can't say I think too much about a favourite combination. It's always the same at the start of an art though, when I first started bjj I liked the triangle to arm bar combo, because it was the first thing I strung together on my own. Hell, it carried me through a whole two competitions. :D

4. Archibald

Archibald A little koala

I'm a bit shorter than most so usually when I'm attacking it's coming underneath incoming punches. With that said:

Low jab - right cross/overhand right - left body hook...

I also switch quite a bit using a jab-jab-cross combo

5. Knee Rider

Knee Rider Valued Member Supporter

Jab, roll, hook, cross is a fav. Simple but high percentage.

I like to jab a lot off of head movement and rarely throw more than two/three shot combos.

I actually dislike pure boxing sparring as I'm far more comfortable using and setting up punches with kicks and knees (and Visa versa) than just setting up hands with hands and movement. I also have a better time with distancing when legs are in play and prefer to strike at range or in the clinch.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2016
  6. raaeoh

raaeoh never tell me the odds

I have so many go to combos it hard to call any a favorite. If I am boxing a southpaw, tall, or shorter guy I always double jab first. So that's it. The double jab. Although I am real fond of tthe double jab left hook to the body. I just can't land it when the pressures on

7. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

(trying it in my chair at work) I like how that feels. I'm going to try it on the bag tonight. :)

8. Knee Rider

Cool :) I hope you like it and that it complements your striking habits well!

9. Archibald

Archibald A little koala

Pardon my ignorance but what do you mean by "roll"?

10. Knee Rider

It's the term given to the evasive/defensive maneuver of 'rolling' your head underneath a punch. Essentially it involves changing the level of your head with a slight slipping action and 'rolling' lateraly and up in a U shape. Commonly combined with a hook from the same side hand as you rolled too.

11. Hapuka

Hapuka Te Aho

Mine is double jab, cross, left hook.

12. Bluesoup

Bluesoup Valued Member

jab, feint cross, left hook down low (hard), left hook up top (touch), right uppercut, jab when exit

13. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

bob and weave.

14. Yatezy

Yatezy One bad mamba jamba

I used to love this combo, the cross wasnt so much as a feint but really twisting the hand over the top but with less power and bouncing it off them which left you in a great position to sink a real powerful body hook :D

15. Archibald

Archibald A little koala

Cool, I might give that a try next week at training!

16. neems

neems Valued Member

Pretty much anything that involves at least 1 power punch and my opponent isn't expecting.

But 1 I've found effective when my opponent has a tight guard is; left (lead hand for me) uppercut ,which should either move the opponents guard or knock his head back setting up a right hand.

I've found if the uppercut lands i can tee off with the right hand,possibly because people don't seem to expect a lead hand uppercut from an orthodox fighter.

17. Madao13

Madao13 Valued Member

And for a good reason. You have to move to close range to hit with the uppercut.
    Getting in and out of range without leading with the jab to distract your opponent is something that requires you to be pretty damn quick and athletic.
    Roy jones Jr used to lead with uppercuts and hooks in his prime.

18. MAfreak

MAfreak Valued Member

mine is
    uppercut - hook - straight.
    in two variations: right - left - right
    and left - left - right.

19. neems

neems Valued Member

It isn't a short range uppercut I'm talking about,there has to be enough room to get the right hand off afterwards.

If you pick your moment you should have no problem leading with a hook,uppercuts tend to work better off something else though unless they're counter.

20. Kave

Kave Lunatic

Overhand right, left hook, right uppercut, jab out. It's such a fun combo to play with. Also, as I have poor reach I tend to be quite fond of the overhand right as a tool to discourage jabs.