Shoulder mobility exercises.

Discussion in 'Injuries and Prevention' started by Bozza Bostik, Nov 3, 2015.

1. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

Can any of you recommend some equipment free shoulder mobility exercises?

(I've put 'equipment free' in bold as I know all the Lift Bros? will start screaming, "Squat, bro! It cures everything" - Yeah, you know who you are!)

I hurt my shoulder a few years back wall climbing and it's not been right since. A physio said it was nerve damage and would just sort itself out over time, but it's been years and I'm not that convinced by his opinion. I've noticed doing those things over and around your head with a stick helps a little, so I am going to try other exercises and see what the result is.

And nope I can't go to a physio as I am seriously broke.

So...any ideas?

2. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

Tea cups are excellent.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ffpcRxWgsg"]Steve Cotter Tea Cup Shoulder Mobility Exercise 1: Part 2/2 - YouTube[/ame]

Band pullaparts can help. You don't need expensive bands just get some of the cheap ones they sell for yoga etc.

http://www.elitefts.com/education/rehab-recovery/band-pull-apart-super-series-for-healthy-shoulders/

Obviously the qualifier here is that I have no idea what your shoulder problme is, so if something hurts stop doing it.

Scapular wall slides can help too.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/how-...obility-and-scapular-stability/#axzz3qQT3gDo3.

Dan93 likes this.
  3. Bozza Bostik

Thanks!

no idea what the problem is. The physio said it was the nerve and said a lot of bikers get the same thing if they come of their bikes, are still holding on the and have their shoulder wrenched or something.

You know, I just threw a whole bunch of those exercise bands away!

But I'll give them a shot.

Thanks again.

4. CrowZer0

CrowZer0 Assume formlessness.

5. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

If you look at pages 3,5 and 6 of my training log I list my mobility work and there are some videos to show some of the drills.

6. Karatebadger

Karatebadger Valued Member

I knackered my shoulder climbing as well (bad rope management, fell with my arm through a loop) but these stretches helped a bit.

Upper body stretching at Moon Climbing

I also use resistance bands for rotator cuff exercises which seems to help my general shoulder mobility as well.

7. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

frodo beat me to the teacups. i'll second those and rotator cuff stuff.

also, look at gettin your neck treated, as all the nerves which go to the arms come from the neck and pass between two of the neck muscles (anterior and middle scalene*), so sometimes a tight neck can bork the shoulder and arm by compressing one or more nerves

*look up 'interscalene triangle'

8. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

Door frames are good for shoulder exercises.

But, if you are losing mobility over time, I think the most important thing is to find ways to change your habitual postures. Of course, exercises will help by affecting what feels comfortable to hold as a posture.

As well as the exercise below, also do the same with your hands by your hips, palms on the frame. Make sure you keep your chin back and the crown of your head elevated to elongate the cervical spine (you can do this without a door frame too, just imagine you are in the middle of a road hitchhiking both sides, your scapula meeting at the bottom):

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ttKq-OFpeY&list=PLmUYXev5fXAV9e2E_jAs5IUWiRHn80I6g"]Stretching the Subscapularis in a Door Frame : Exercise Musts - YouTube[/ame]

9. icefield

icefield Valued Member

10. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Nothing to add here other than "squat deep."

11. Bozza Bostik

Cheers all...and especially VZ for his totally pointless but amusing comment.

Nothing like that for me. I was just on a pretty advanced wall, giving it a shot, seeing what I could do, I either reached up for a lumpy thing or just grasped it with a fully extended arm and felt a sharp pain in my shoulder. I came down and couldn't move my arm for a few days. After a few days I managed to get my arm moving, but have had this weird pain ever since. If I use my arm, usually with the elbow bent, like when using a computer, my shoulder hurts and my hand and fingers go numb and I lose feeling and control.

The pain is in the shoulder but messes with my whole arm, especially my hand.

Kali is kinda hard as I can't hold the stick for long periods of time, thankfully we have short classes (1 hr) and we always switch hands if using single weapon. Can't play guitar without my shoulder hurting and losing strength in my hand and not able to hold the pick....just when I started getting half decent too. Harmonica is the same, as I mentioned on the harp thread. Computers...

The worst thing is if I fall asleep with my arm in a weird position, I wake up with shoulder pain and can't move my arm. I have to use the left one to move it and put it in a comfortable position. That happens a few times a night.

Anyway...I'll give some of the exercise a go and see what happens.

12. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

that's almost surely something messing with a nerve, then. recommend seeing a physio. my friend in helsinki knows a physio who's a gym owner, so i can probably find out through them if there are any decent ones in your area who know how to treat active people. will get back to you on that.

13. Bozza Bostik

Cool, thanks.

One thing..."active people"?? :)

14. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

tea cups and band pulls parts - YES

Also pull apart keeping your elbows pinned to your sides

If you can, back bridges are pretty good

15. Bozza Bostik

If I.....if I.....can??? I did learn something at capoeira!

16. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

hahaha just checking

try wall slides too

17. Bozza Bostik

One reason why I did capoeira was to help with my flexibility, mobility and core strength, all of which are pretty poor. It was fantastic physiotherapy. I felt the physical benefits were very similar to yoga....and I didn't have to deal with odd ageing hippie-types.

18. McBryde Mats

McBryde Mats New Member

My favourite stretch for anything shoulder related is the overhead broom stretch

grab a broom handle/ pole / towel and hold it out infront of you, just wider than shoulder width

rotte your shoulders and lift the pole over your head and behind you till you feel the stretch

try to get your palms inline with your shoulders, not below as you stretch out behind

adjust grip width to intensify the stretch

this is my go to stretch, so much relief from it...

hope it helps

19. Tai Sabaki

Tai Sabaki Valued Member

Broom handle stretch is great. When recovering from partial tendon tear operation I found strengthening excercises with latex band help enormously.

20. AndrewTheAndroid

AndrewTheAndroid A hero for fun.

These ones have helped me.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I know you said equipment free but I would be remiss to say that bench press and shoulder press have been instrumental to getting my shoulder stronger, more mobile and be less painful.