UK MAPpers who run

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Frodocious, Jun 29, 2015.

1. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

For those of you who run, or those of you who like a challenge, the Conti Lighting Run is a fun event:

http://www.contilightningrun.co.uk/index.asp

I did it this year as part of a team and am thinking of doing it next year either as a duo or solo. I'm not trying to win anything, but more to challenge myself to see how many laps I can do.

2. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

I don't quite get this! Is the course just one 10k lap, and the object to complete as many laps as possible in twelve hours?

---------------

Edit: having studied the results spreadsheets closely, I understand it better now.

I'd be interested in hearing more about what it was like. How did you get on Frodo?

Last edited: Jun 30, 2015
  3. Knee Rider

Knee Rider Valued Member Supporter

I'm doing this in September. Looks great!

4. Frodocious

Yes, it's a 10km course (off road, some steep hills and, depending on the weather, possibly lots of mud). The aim is to do as many laps as possible. Teams do it as a relay. Everyone has an electronic timer on their ankle and the time is recorded each time you cross the finish line. For the team comp, everyone in the team has to do at least 1 lap.

It was my first ever race and, as someone who is not great at running, it was great fun. The camaraderie amongst the runners was great.

I was in a team, who weren't that motivated so there were some long breaks between people actually doing their laps. I did 2 laps over the course of the day. Next year I'm thinking about doing it as a solo, just to see how many laps I can do.

On the social side, most people get there the night before and camp. There is a food tent, but we took a BBQ.

5. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

That sounds brilliant, Frodo! One of the things I love about running events is the cameraderie, and when there is a crowd it always gives me a real buzz too.

Having said that, I'm more of a road runner myself. I have a deep-seated suspicion of any type of running that might result in my trainers getting dirty! ;)

6. Frodocious

There was lots of dirt this year!

I have never understood why running socks designed for tracks and trails are WHITE! Mine aren't any more! :eek: :wow:

It was my first event and, whilst I'm never going to enjoy running as a general hobby, doing an event like this once a year is something I will enjoy - it took me out of my comfort zone and pushed me - plus it was an incentive to keep up the run training.