Precious Gift Taken For Granted

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by 47MartialMan, Feb 9, 2015.

1. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

I have recently been told I need to have surgery on both eyes or go blind. To me, vision has been one of the best senses I could posses.

At my age, things like this start to surface, and now it becomes more of a understanding on how people, much older than I, had to deal with this and, without the medical advances back then.

Has anyone here have eye surgery, or other medical issue of great concern?

Last edited: Feb 9, 2015
  2. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

I hate to hear that, MM. Yeah, when the familiar drone that comes from the illusion of continuity ceases - and suddenly nothing is certain, its very disconcerting.

The physicist Richard Feynman once remarked that we lead "charmed existences" - meaning this thing we call life is actually quite unique in the universe - so unique as to be considered almost majical.

Not to be taken for granted.

I've not had eye surgery but when I started getting so knackered in boxing class that I could barely get through ten minutes without getting completely gassed, they found out that I have a leaking aortic valve and enlarged heart - the same condition that Stefan Struve ( if you know follow MMA ) has.

Recently I've found out that my testosterone level is barely registering and now there are issues with low thyroid - all of which have been adding to the fatigue.

Consider yourself fortunate that they can operate, with a good chance for success, I presume.

Surgeries are a cake-walk these days, not like it used to be when we were young.

I've had a number of surgeries over the years for various things - last year it was to clean out residual infection behind the ear that had gone septic and was dangerously close to the blood-brain barrier. Felt like a million-bucks afterwards. They've made a lot of advances with surgery.

Its always something, innit?

But every time I turn 'round, I hear of young men in their twenties, in perfect health, being killed on the battlefields.

Yet, you and I are still here.

We lead charmed existences.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2015
  3. StrikingDragon

StrikingDragon Valued Member

My granddad had cataracts that basically rendered him blind. He had the surgery and that was years ago and he has never had a problem since.

Loosing your sight would be a tough thing but think about all the blind athletes that are out there proving you can live an active life.

4. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

I have known two co workers who have gone through cataract surgery. They told me about it, as it was before I worked with them.

Both went through it just fine- no complications and see great!

One of those same co-workers has some other problem that is affecting her vision. She is going in for out surgery in a week or two..

Sorry you have to go through this, but be grateful they live in an age where there is a solution!

5. ShadowHawk

ShadowHawk Valued Member

positive vibes sent your way friend!

6. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

Loads of folks go through cataract surgery daily and they all recover really well.
    I wouldnt worry about the surgery, usually its only a day surgery, you go home that day and then you're fully recovered in a few weeks

7. dormindo

dormindo Active Member Supporter

Sorry to hear that. I hope for the best in both your surgery and recovery.

8. Dan93

Dan93 Valued Member

Sorry to hear this Martial Man.

Hope the surgery goes well! No major health issues for me yet but no doubt odds are it will happen to most of us at some point (hopefully much later).

Best of luck!

9. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

You'll be Ok x

10. narcsarge

narcsarge Masticated Whey

My wife just had Lasik surgery last weekend. She has worn glasses since age 8 and was legally blind in both eyes. She was borderline for Lasik vs. PK surgery both of which the doctor could have done. Lasik is less aggressive and quicker recovery time. By quicker I mean: In the surgery center @ 9:30 am for final paper work and instructions. Surgery @ 10:05 am. Out the door and going home by 11:00. My wife could see immediately after the surgery (like when you've been swimming for a while). 4 hours later.... She was out shopping with me. Next day follow up with the doctor and she now has 20/20 vision. No more $600 lenses or contacts.

Best wishes for you sir.

11. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Hope it goes well!!

12. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

sorry to hear about your condition.

what kind of eye surgery 47?

13. 47MartialMan

Something to do with Diabetic Retina and cataracts

14. belltoller

Sorry, misread the post - I'd thought it an ocular tumor of some sort...

15. 47MartialMan

Going for another appointment today. They will explain the procedures and then perhaps schedule the surgery

16. narcsarge

narcsarge Masticated Whey

Best of luck to you sir!

17. belltoller

Hope it all goes well. Try not to worry yourself sick about it.

18. 47MartialMan

First surgery on Feb 27th

19. belltoller

Thoughts and prayers, friend. I take it they are doing one eye at the time?

20. ibeatbrucelee

ibeatbrucelee New Member

Wishing the best.