MAP Recipe Thread

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Mangosteen, Jan 4, 2015.

1. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

Because of all the new year's resolutions, I thought I'd start a thread with our favourite recipes.

Rules for this thread

Must:
    - Type of diet the dish fits in (vegetarian or gluten free etc)
    - Don't post links, post full recipes.
    - Post at least one photo you've taken while cooking.
    - Make steps so the recipe is easy to follow.
    - Inspiration for the dish must be included.

Optional:
    - Calorie and nutritional values are optional.
    - Prices are optional.
    - Health warnings such as high sodium or fat

I have some seasonal recipes I'll post such as winter and summer. Special event recipes like valentines recipes (don't worry loveless homies, Zaad got your back to help you impress/creep out whoever you're trying to woo).

2. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Hot water.

1 egg (chicken)

1. Place egg in boiling water.

2.Leave till desired consitency. I like hard boiled.

3. Sieve egg from water.

4. Shell the egg.

5. Pinch of salt.

3. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Dish: Coco Pops.

Type of Diet: "I'm bulking, bro."

Serves: 1.

Preparation Time: 47 seconds.

Ingredients: Coco Pops (Kellogg's only, not Tesco's minging own brand), milk.

Difficulty Rating: 0.1 out of 5.

Nutritional Value: LOL.

Step 1: Get bowl. Preferably a clean one.

Step 2: Get spoon. Cleanliness also optional (licking clean is acceptable).

Step 3: Pour Coco Pops.

Step 4: Pour milk. Bailey's is a suitable substitute.

Here is what the finished product should look like:

[​IMG]

Here is a picture of me after my 16-week Coco Pops Diet:

[​IMG]

4. Mangosteen

Where are the photos mushroom!

Bailey substitute - that was my morning coffee in uni.

5. GoldShifter

GoldShifter The MachineGun Roundhouse

Dish: Hot Water

Diet: Low Fat Food, Gluten Free, Bear Grylls Approved

Difficulty: ... 0.000001/20

1. Acquire Water
    2. Turn on stove, light fire, set up some sort of heating apparatus
    3. Place water in container over the heat source(container advised for best results)
    4. Wait. Estimated time depends on multiple factors, altitude, amount of heat, etc.
    5. Enjoy hot water.

Caution: Possible burn risk, steam also burns. Container may get hot also. Not advised to use a flammable container over an open flame.

Note: Steps change if you have an electric kettle.

Steps:
    1. Acquire Water
    2. Place water in container
    3. Place container over the heating apparatus
    4. Turn on heating apparatus
    5. Enjoy water.

[​IMG]

Picture of boiling water.

Inspiration: I needed to figure out how to make my cup noodles, the sustenance of a struggling college student.

6. Mangosteen

Feijoada - Meaty Brazilian Black Bean Stew

Type: Purely Carnivorous
    Inspiration: I visited a Churrascaria (Brazilian BBQ) place and every one seems to have a variation on this dish. I've been trying to recreate this recipe ever since with little success but I think I've figured it out!

Time to cook: 4 hours

Ingredients (with prices):
    250g dried Black turtle beans from health food store (500g/75p)
    225g Chorizo/spicy sausage (225g/2.50 pound)
    200g Cooking bacon (675g/1.15 pound)
    2 table spoons of vinegar
    1 teaspoon of olive oil
    Optional: left over gammon or roast meat (I'm saving mine for another recipe)
    Optional: cumberland sausage meat fried in chunks was a recommendation from a churrascaria owner.

Herbs:
    1 Onion
    2 Garlic cloves
    Sprinkle of parsley leaves
    Sprinkle of coriander leaves
    Sprinkle of white pepper
    A teaspoon of paprika
    Half a teaspoon of black pepper
    Beef or lamb stock cube
    1 table spoon of BBQ sauce (I used Brazilian BBQ sauce which is basically the same but less sweet and with a more chipotle like flavour)
    Salt to tast

Steps:
    1. Wash and soak beans in water (enough to cover the beans) over night. At the same time soak peeled garlic cloves in white vinegar and half a teaspoon of paprika (add salt if wanted).
    2. The next day bring the beans to boil in the water they soaked in and reduce to simmer.
    3. Cut bacon fat rind off the bacon and dice the fat into cubes, place in a frying pan on low heat with olive oil, chopped garlic (reserve soaked vinegar), chopped onion, remaining paprika, black pepper, smushed stock cube and white pepper. When onions become translucent, add the mixture to beans and stir beans well.
    4. Chop up and boil bacon in pan, drain off gross stuff. Place boiled bacon in dried pan with vinegar mix, parsley, coriander and BBQ sauce. Add mixture to the beans and stir.
    5. Chop up chorizo into rough slices and place into beans. Add another cup or 2 of boiling water.
    6. Wait 3 hours and smush up portions of the beans, add more boiling water if you want a thin stew or smush more beans if you want a thick stew.
    7. Sprinkle more coriander and parsley before serving.

Serve with rice, hot sauce (I like peri peri) and green veg.

Reheat a small amount every day or put into a tortilla with rice and veg.

Attached Files:

7. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

fish's daily brunch

type of diet: LOL

nutritional value: high but depends on brand.

step 1: buy carton of milk (chocolate milk and/or non-dairy/lactose-free milk optional*).

step 2: chug :3

inspiration: it's cheap, high protein, not too high carbs or calories, and it's also tasty.

*lactose-free is even more high protein, so it's actually preferable.

pic of finnish extra-protein chocolate milk:
    [​IMG]

8. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Dish name:
    Kinilaw na Lato (seaweed salad)

Dish origin:
    Visayas region, Philippines

Type of diet:
    Vegetarian but can be added to any type of diet

Recipe:

Ingredients-
    1/2 kilo lato
    1 small size onion, diced
    2 small size tomato, diced
    1 thumb size ginger, chopped into small strips
    kalamansi
    salt

Method-
    Clean the lato (seaweed) of debris and trim off any spoiled parts and thick stems. Rinse under running water, drain and keep chilled in refrigerator for 10 to 15 minutes before you serve it. Prepare dressing. Mix onion, tomato, ginger and season with a dash of salt. To serve, toss lato and prepared dressing and drizzle with kalamansi (Philippine lime) juice. Serve immediately while chilled.

Total Prep Time w/Ingredients on hand:
    15 minutes

Inspiration for the dish
    I live in the developing/3rd world now so most people live at or below the poverty line - this type of dish reflects the survivor attitude and resourcefulness of the people here. Jobs are scarce and people get by eating what they can harvest from the ocean. This dish served up in a swank eatery in the developed world you would get charged a bundle for it. If could even find it. My guess is you can't.

This is a very common recipe for the coastal areas in the central Visayas region of the Philippines. Others areas it can be non existent or hard to find. It might put some people off a bit in that it's seaweed... but the flavor is something similar to fresh oysters with the crunchiness of a cucumber. Very good in hot weather and a nice snack to have by itself or include in a meal.

Price:
    Free if you walk out and know how and where to harvest the seaweed yourself. If you buy in the market its only a couple pesos a bundle. In US currency it'd cost you less than $1. If you buy it prepared at a street eatery it's only around 25 pesos for a dish of it.

The pic:
    I took a shot of the finished dish. The yellow/green bits are tomato. Not many red tomatoes here locally. A bit different than western style tomatoes. The white yellow bits are chunks of ginger. The pink/red bits are red onion and the little grape like clusters are the seaweed or 'lato'.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 4, 2015
  9. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Slip, that doesn't look so much like a food dish as it does an aerial shot of Narnia.

10. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Thai Curry

Super easy. All ingredients you can buy either from a supermarket or an asian grocer. This is the same method for Thai curries and all veg can be replaced with anything.
    Altho i suggest you match the curry sauce/meat combo.

Chicken/White Fish/Seafood = Green Curry
    Red meat/pork/seafood = red curry.

Typical veg used.
    Baby Aubergine
    Mushroom
    Large white onion
    Carrot
    Mange tout (pea in pods)
    Baby sweet corn.
    Green/Red Peppers

Chicken

Coconut milk (2 tins)

Thai Curry paste can bought. For this thread I'll refer to green curry but the method is the same regardless.

Grab a large pot/wok and heat up the oil. Throw in the chicken, i tend to used half a chopped chicken as the flavour of the bones help. Add in about 2 tablespoons of the Thai Curry paste. Stir it about till the meat is covered (outside whitened). Add in a tin of coconut milk and mix till it becomes one colour...if you got a big pot then add another tin (it does boil away).
    Bring to medium heat.

Add in the veg and then let simmer in med/high heat.

The longer you cook it, the spicier it kind of becomes as the milk gets boiled away.
    You can season with some salt/pepper if you prefer.

Also baby sweetcorn and mange tout tends to cook quicker than others so you can add them to the pot later.

Total simmering time is about 20mins. If after that the curry is too spicy then add a 3rd tin of coconut milk to dilute.

And youre done.

Boiled white rice. Just use a rice cooker. If not have one then try to make it alongside whilst the curry is simmering.

(Tip: coconut rice. If you have a rice cooker. When the rice is cooked through, open up a tin of coconut milk. Sometimes the milk and its water separates when in the tin. So its like thick yoghurt on top and water at the bottom.
    Grab a spoon and scoop up some of that top floatong yoghut and mix into the rice inside the cooker. If you like you can add chopped coriander. The steam from the rice cooks the milk.)

And serve.

Pictures to follow...its somewhere on my instagram.

The prep..
    http://instagram.com/p/kk69eoj-pm/

The curry (w/prawns)
    http://instagram.com/p/kaJ82ij-qZ/

Last edited: Jan 4, 2015
  11. GoldShifter

GoldShifter The MachineGun Roundhouse

Slip, that stuff is really good. I'm here in the Philippines right now visiting family and I love the bangus here. It's made so much better than back in California. Should make a recipe for 1 day old, we'll see how many are willing to try it, haha.

12. flaming

flaming Valued Member

Simple Eggplant/Aubergine

Put the oven on.

Chop up:
    2-4 cloves garlic
    Eggplant/Aubergine
    2-4 chillies usually Birdseye

Put that in a casserole dish with:
    Passata enough to cover
    2 dessert spoons of tomato paste
    tablespoon olive oil

additional seasoning
    either just salt, or mixed herbs not too much oregano, Cajun seasoning was also nice.

Put the dish in the oven at 175- 200 celcius for 45 -75 minutes then turn the oven off and heat it up later.

Some fresh basil or grated Pecorino added after its cooked is nice.

I have this with jacket potato and cod usually, but the Cajun seasoning goes with some tortillas.

That Feijoada looks tasty but beans seldom agree with my bowels. I'll try double soaking and cooking them in a slow cooker first.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2015
  13. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Yes man... Bangus here is tasty. Not easy to find other places! :) Though I'll admit my pork and rice consumption has jumped 10X here in Phils compared to what I ate in China or HK. :eek:

14. Mangosteen

I've made basil infused pizza dough. i've triple proofed it, anyone think i'll get another rise? I'm a little scared to try

15. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

Try it. I want to know if it works. :)

16. qazaqwe

qazaqwe Valued Member

A fairly basic meal i tend to make for myself, usually as a post workout meal, is something I've come to call REC (rice, eggs, chicken), it's fairly straight forward, and very versatile depending on what seasonings you have close to hand, i will warn people first though, if you are not a fan of runny eggs, you will probably not at all appreciate it.

Diet: Eh, a clean bulk i guess, but it is gluten free if you use brown rice.

Servings: Adjustable as i have fed 4 people without altering the method, but i have also prepared the dish for just myself, granted i have eaten the same amount i'd cook for four people by myself on occasions. (Leg day makes a man do strange things.)

Preparation time: About two minutes more than the time it takes you to cook a portion of rice.

Ingredients:
    rice (i find the portion people prefer varies, but at least a small bowlful per person)
    1 chicken breast per person (although thigh works in a pinch, and is a damned side tastier, but with all the flavors i cook it in, the difference is marginal)
    2 eggs per person
    a glug of olive oil
    water for both the rice and eggs
    a dash of vinegar and a few shakes of salt for poaching

Seasonings:
    (i have few methods i use, depending on what i have at hand, but feel free to experiment, although i'll give my personal favorite below)
    per portion of chicken
    the juice of half a small lime (bottled stuff works fine)
    the juice of half a small orange (ditto the lime, but only if it is fresh and pulpy, reconstitute tastes a little funky after you've cooked it)
    half a teaspoon of black pepper
    a teaspoon of oregano
    a teaspoon of cumin
    a crushed clove of garlic (i tend to put more in, but i love my garlic, as does my wife, but if you're not a fan, stick to one or eliminate it entirely (also the stuff in jars works great)
    2 tablespoons of soy sauce
    Optional:
    half a chopped small red chili (a half teaspoon of sambal oelek is a good substitute)

1. So, you'll need to get some rice on, i tend to use brown rice, but it isn't essential, and i'd only advocate using it if you have a really good rice cooker, however, you're own choice and method are fine, but one quick way i have found to cook white rice is to put it in a large microwave proof dish, with double it's quantity of water, place in the microwave and (for a two cups of rice to a four cups of water ratio) cook on high for 8 minutes before stirring and cooking for another 8, it usually works a treat, but i have occasionally had to put it in for a further 2-3 minutes if it is still slightly gluggy.

2. Once the rice is on, it is time to cut the chicken up into bite sized pieces, put a little olive oil into the pan, add the chicken and saute over a high heat, add all of the seasonings to the pan and mix until the chicken is coated in the sauce, leave on the heat, stirring periodically as the sauce cooks away, once it is almost dry, drop to a simmer. (You're basically keeping it warm at that point, don't forget to move it around though or you might end up with some of the chicken partially burnt.)

3. If the rice has a few minutes to go, you are going to want to get some water on now for your eggs, you have two options, soft boiled or poached, i tend to poach my eggs, but if you don't mind cracking the shells off, go right ahead, i am fairly traditional in my approach to poaching, i salt the water and add a splash of vinegar and bring it to the brink of a boil, then i drop it right down to a simmer and break the eggs in, i keep them together with a wooden spoon if need be, but it's not really necessary to make them perfect, after 3-4 minutes they should be done, set aside and wait for the rice.

4. Now comes assembly, put your rice in a mound in the center of the plate, and place the eggs on top, mash the eggs into the rice so that the while is in tiny pieces and the yolk has run everywhere, mix the yolk into the rice, then finally, place the chicken on top, and you are ready to eat.

It's not the classiest dish in the world, but it is very satisfying after a decent workout, i can't exactly recommend a wine with it, but it does pair well with ice cold beer, if the mood strikes. (Although i am rather boring when it comes to drinking, so more often than not i'd probably just drink a soda water.)

17. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

so i asked my mom how she makes meatballs. turns out she mixes the meat with oats before cooking it. i find this extremely interesting, particularly because omg best meatballs ever!

18. StrikingDragon

StrikingDragon Valued Member

Apparently putting oats or crumbs in meatballs and burgers helps absorb the juices when cooking so they dont run out.

19. AndrewTheAndroid

AndrewTheAndroid A hero for fun.

yup it holds in more flavor like this.

20. StrikingDragon

StrikingDragon Valued Member

I wonder if you can george foreman grill them haha