My workout routine.

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by AndrewTheAndroid, Jul 5, 2013.

1. AndrewTheAndroid

AndrewTheAndroid A hero for fun.

I'm on a quest to lose weight and get in shape. I started out doing bench press, squat, shoulder shrugs an worked my way up to an hour of HIIT running every other day. However my knees did not feel good after a while so I stopped the treadmill exercises for now.

This is going to sound a little dumb but I after I watched MoS, I decided to look up Henry Cavill's workout. I didn't find anything official, but this site was linked to the gym jones site.
    http://www.mensfitness.co.uk/exercises/celebrity-workouts/3234/henry-cavills-superman-workout

Basically I do:

Warm up
    Bench Press 3x5
    Squats 3x5
    Shoulder Shrugs 3x8-10

Followed by the Leaning Phase portion of the workout I linked to.

I've also added in dips and wide grip chin ups 1 set each. The whole thing takes me about an hour or hour and a half.

2. SoKKlab

SoKKlab The Cwtch of Death!

Hello and Well Done to You.

How often are you doing weights/ resistance work per week?

If you want to stick to this kind of routine that's fine (depending on intensity, duration and frequency).

As far as your actual routine is concerned. I'd replace the Shrugs with some kind of High Pull or Power Cleans (Particularly wider grip variations if you want enhanced Traps). Do them from Mid-Shin Hang Position. As quickly as you can.

If you can't manage from mid-shin hang you can do them from the deck each rep...Or from standing (bar at mid-thigh). Or from blocks, pins etc.

I'd add some Deadlifts into your training - Once a week will do - Stick to 3 x 5 if you want. Start with a Double Overhand Grip for ease.

If you get any lower back problems then your form is wrong. Check Elliot Hulses's 'Yo Elliot/ Strength Camp' on Youtube for Deadlift Variations. Sumo Deadlifts are a good alternative.

The Leaning Phase (sample) is Squats (3 x 20), Jump Squats (3 x 10) and a Press Up Ladder (Sets of 1, 2, 3 up to 10) right?

Are you doing this Leaning Phase in with your other work? Or as a separate workout on another day? I'm taking it you mean on an alternative day?

20 reps is a fairly standard Bodybuilding parameter. If you're looking to put a bit of size on then higher volume (reps and sets) is one of the main ways to do that. Is that your goal here? If not then cuts the reps and up the poundage.

Jump Squats are potentially fine. Just be careful you don't jink your spine when doing them. And make sure you don't get carried away with overlarge poundages. The whole point is a smooth jump and landing. With little stress on your lower back and a limited amount of compression.

I'd definitely do more sets of pull ups. Pullups are tidy. And will add to your general strength and fitness.

Do Dips if your shoulders can take it. A lot of folk get 'impingement' issues around Dips. Often by going really low (bicep to forearm squidge). As long as you get no issues with them then have at it.

You've now discovered that hours of HIIT running jink your knees something rotten.

Some Sprints in the park twice a week would be better than running on a treadmill 5 times week.

Say Day 1) Warmup with varied pace running including half to 2/3 rds speed canters. Followed by 5 x 40 metre sprints.

Day 2 (At least 4 days later) Same but with 4 x 50 metre sprints. Walk or jog back to the start.

Better again if you have a good slope/ hill at your disposal.

Good Luck

Last edited: Jul 5, 2013
  3. matveimediaarts

matveimediaarts Underappreciated genius

This looks like a good start. I'm afraid I don't know how to work around knee problems like yours, so I won't give any detailed advice. Best of luck in your journey. :)

4. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

first things first: "shrugs". shoulders are the only thing that shrug. shoulder shrug is redundant :p

that aside, it's a magazine workout and as likely to be real as i am to walk on uranus (butt kicking notwithstanding). you can actually see cavill work out here, and he does a bunch of random stuff as well as heavy deadlifts: http://www.darkhorizons.com/news/27464/votd-man-of-steel-n-g-workout

there's also an article about him on the extremely NSFW and offensive blog run by jamie lewis which i won't even mention by name here due to how NSFW and offensive it is (that being "VERY"), that has some pretty interesting info on cavill's training (including quotes by him).

on the whole, can't say much that sokklab hasn't said yet. definitely echo the suggestion for more pulling. doing only bench pressing and press ups could potentially end up destroying your shoulders if you don't do anything to work the rotator cuffs (pull-ups work, as do rows). as well as the one for replacing shrugs with pulls and deadlifts. high pulls are explosive, and not as technical as full or power oly lifts (clean/snatch), and since they'll always be lighter than your deadlift, you can throw them in really often (just be sure to have your hip be the main mover or you'll end up upright rowing the bar, which at high pull weights will be... inconvenient). they'll also work as light deadlifts, so you can throw in heavy deads immediately afterwards a couple times a week if you want to.

5. AndrewTheAndroid

@Sokklab. It is all one workout on the same day. My goal is to lose fat and not lose mucsle in the process.

6. Wildlings

Wildlings Baguette Jouster

You should stick to the weights AND start HIIT again. It is, in my experience, one of the best methods to lose fat. It probably caused problems because you were overdoing it.
    I mean, one hour of HIIT? :wow: I'm dying after 15 minutes of it! :D

I did it twice a week and it never resulted in injures. Longer runs did, instead :( (Infact I have shin splints again, noooo).
    But anyway, if you want to stay safe and you have access to a pool, you could do it swimming instead of running. It's pretty effective.

7. SoKKlab

SoKKlab The Cwtch of Death!

Hello
    If your goal is to lose fat then obviously your diet will have to be right.

As far as the weights are concerned - You'll find it really hard to get significantly stronger if you're training like you are 5 days a week.

But! You'll be as lean as a penny so hey keep at that - As that is your predominant goal right?

To not lose muscle you'll need to eat enough quality food to keep your muscle mass. Usually most bodybuilders - as an example - When dieting will train a lot - And with a lot of volume (sets, reps, frequency)...But they'll drop the carbs gradually. And increase the amount of protein they're consuming.

The reason I'm mentioning this is because at present you're training more like a bodybuilder in terms of volume. And some of your reppage.

I could witter on about there being much better routines etc. And ways to use your time etc. But if you're managing not to do yourself a mischief. And you have the daily energy to accomplish your workouts then keep at it. Until you've reached your fat loss goal.

Then change your training to align with your next goal.

Good Luck.

8. icefield

icefield Valued Member

if you want to lose weight do what all the bodybuilders do when they want to lean out, heavyish compound weights (you wont get stronger when leaning but if you manage to keep the weight fairly heavy you can maintain the muscle) lots of long slow cardio (build up to an hour a day) and limit your calories

Its tried, tested and works

Or you can copy the routine magazine made up

On a side note it always makes me laugh when you read these routines in the magazines and people think they might be real. I mean take carvil for example he worked with the jim jones guys for 6 months before films and 8 months during, they went through a 2 month gpp block to build up his work capacity, a 3 month bulking cycle with over 5000 calories and all through filming he leaned out with half that amount of calories, these guys were paid a lot to manage his training on a daily basis, set his diet up and so on and people expect to get all that free of charge in a fitness magazine??

9. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

I remember reading something by one of the guys at Men's Health (I think it was) after he went to work for FHM. He said all those routines in MH and similar are really just made up. He knew this for a fact as he was the guy doing them!

Just thought that was slightly amusing! Sorry.

10. AndrewTheAndroid

I thought I made it pretty clear that I am doing both.

This week I only worked out on Monday Wednesday and Friday. Weekends are reserved for Tai Chi practice and rest. Is that more conducive to my goals?

11. icefield

icefield Valued Member

sorry i missed the part where you said you were doing an hour of cardio a day? I couldnt see it anywhere on your workout? all i could see was the leaning portion which looked like weights and punchups not running??

12. AndrewTheAndroid

Cardio 7 days a week seems a bit much. When would my muscles have time to recoup?

I've always been told to do it 3 to 4 times a week so that you don't start burning muscle as well.

Right now I'm doing 25 minutes of HIIT on a stationary bike three times a week.

13. icefield

icefield Valued Member

what do you want to do build muscle or lean out? you cant do both at the same time

The problem is if you are looking to drop weight you need to reduce the number of calories you are taking in, this makes CNS intensive exercise hard to maintain, you wont be able to do the volume needed with HITT on a reduced calorie diet to actually help drop weight you will burn out
    Which is why i said look at what bodybuilders do to drop weight because thats what works. They do steady state easy cardio 5 to 7 days a week, and lift a few days a week to maintain their look, its worked for decades for them
    Im not saying to not do HITT if you really want to, im saying you cant do enough HITT on its own to get the results especially if you are also lifting AND dieting down

14. AndrewTheAndroid

Okay I guess that makes sense. I'm definitely not trying to add muscle, just trying to lean down. Right now I look like fat Bane.

15. matveimediaarts

matveimediaarts Underappreciated genius

I've been using MWF for weight workouts for several years and it works for me. :) Other days I do MA, cardio, weapons, and other relatively simple stuff. Everyone has a different point of diminishing returns, so you might try experimenting with it.

Cheers and best of luck to you.

16. bodyshot

bodyshot Brown Belt Zanshin Karate

Looks like a good routine from what I see, the only comment I have is that I wouldnt do it seven days a week, I would have some other routines to mix into the week as well.

Heres an example.

!. warm up
    2.pullups
    3.Hamstrings (back legs)
    4.planking for core, or some kinda of core strength building exorcize.

I would also be doing some cardio, dont ignore cardio bro, youll regrete it if you do.