Matvei's training log

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by matveimediaarts, Apr 19, 2013.

1. matveimediaarts

matveimediaarts Underappreciated genius

I've never kept a training log, so I thought I'd try it and see how I like it. And you people can share in the misery if it turns out to be incredibly bad.

Tonight was my weekly Karate and sword evening. The karate part isn't that hard-it's just learning the little idiomatic things that give me trouble. Henshi has a way of stringing together common blocks and strikes in ways I've never tried. On the surface they're easy, but making it flow smoothly is difficult. Learning the Japanese names for everything is kind of a b!tch, but it's not as painful as Iron Sand Hand. (kung fu folks will probably know what that is)

I'm still using bokken and probably will be for a while. The fundamentals of sword aren't too difficult. It's stringing them together in a meaningful way that's difficult. ;)

That's all for now.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 19, 2013
  2. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Good to have another training log here.

I look forward to further posts.

3. matveimediaarts

Today I hit the gym, focusing on legs and back (but doing a bit of everything). Then some basic kata to cool down. Did staff work when I got home (various techniques and katas, longfist, etc). Not a bad day. :) I'm already 90%+ normal capacity (having taken 2 months off earlier this year for surgery :p which was horrible). :)

4. matveimediaarts

Today, a somewhat abbreviated practice because it's hot out. All forms with and without staff. Strikes and kicks. Sweeps. Trying to figure out more elaborate jump kicks. Also did forms while holding 10 lb weights. Reviewing Dr Jwing-Ming's Long Fist book and learning some new stances. About an hour altogether. :)

5. matveimediaarts

Trained with my trainer at the gym today. I'm practically 100% of my usual capacity again. :) (surgery recovery sucks a fat one). Then did katas and staff work for ~30 minutes. Will be back to kicking ass 6 days/week next month. :D

6. matveimediaarts

My new bokken arrived in the mail today. Excited to have a new toy to play with during practice. :) This morning I worked my empty hand and staff kata as usual. Also incorporating the techniques shown on Henshi Crosswell's budo DVD.

7. matveimediaarts

Got some sparring in with Shihan last night. :) Lots of fun, but the mat had this sticky sort of texture to it-I tripped and banged up my left big toe and wrist. :( I was able to do my usual routine today after lots of icing it last night. It's still not healed completely, but I can do a lot with my athletic shoes on. Anyway, after my gym routine, back home for forms and weapons practice. :)

8. matveimediaarts

Sorry for no recent updates. :/ Yesterday I hit the gym for just over an hour. Worked on every muscle group. Did 2 minutes of cardio between sets. The whole thing wound up 10 minutes longer than I intended. :p followed that up with staff, sword, and open handed forms and technique. Starting to get noticeable tip speed with my bokken. :D

Today I did forms of all sorts for 20 minutes or so. Would've gone longer, but it's too hot. :(

9. matveimediaarts

Today, most of the focus was on weapons-staff and sword. Only a bit of open handed technique-kata, longfist, Hiji Ate Goho.

10. matveimediaarts

Morning...forms-open hand, staff, and sword.
    lots of pushup varieties-standard form, single foot (both sides), and with fully loaded pack. 50 reps altogether. Standard pullups (vertical and horizontal handles). Elliptical cardio for 5 minutes.

11. matveimediaarts

Added Hiji Ate Goho to my usual karate/weapons practice today. :) Difficult form, but I will learn it! :D

12. matveimediaarts

Worked with my trainer this morning-intensive weights and cardio, fully body, for 20 minutes. Then weights/cardio by myself for 30 minutes. Back home, worked on staff and sword forms. Getting better. :D Planning on doing more karate and weapons after lunch.

13. matveimediaarts

very busy night in karate and sword class. Having to unlearn a lot of shoddy techniques I picked up from old instructors. Lots of block/counter in karate. I'm not so great at it, but as always, I continue to progress. :)

14. gapjumper

gapjumper Intentionally left blank

What sword school is taught?

15. matveimediaarts

Shinkendo. It focuses on the long sword as opposed to the smaller swords samurai also carried. I still use bokken, but aspire to learn shinken and iaido. :)

Last edited: May 10, 2013
  16. matveimediaarts

Added jumping rope to my cardio routine, inspired by the jumping rope thread on MAP the other day. :) Also continued work on kamai, staff work, and open hand forms.

17. matveimediaarts

Very simple today because it's hot out. Staff and sword, jump rope, pull ups, basic core work, pushups.

18. matveimediaarts

Worked with my trainer today, as most Mondays. Discovered I haven't been working my posterior shoulders near enough. :p Will remedy this starting Wednesday. Also worked my weapons routine. Wish it were cooler so I could practice more. :( Will do teacups and exercise band work after lunch.

Last edited: May 13, 2013
  19. matveimediaarts

Weapons and karate classes today. Still making mistakes, but making slow, steady progress.

20. matveimediaarts

Warmed up with some staff practice in the morning. Then worked with my trainer. Found some real weaknesses that have come from my routine during the rest of the week. Not enough calf work and the posterior shoulders still need lots of work. :/ I did win our weekly push-up contest, though. :D