Gracie purple belt that quick...is this possible?

Discussion in 'Brazilian Jiu Jitsu' started by Rmjim, May 22, 2017.

1. Rmjim

Rmjim Member

So about 3 years ago I stopped taking Chun Kuk Do which is basically Chuck Norris style tang soo do. I got an upper level belt but stopped because of the McDojo business that CKD was beginning to turn into (join this, buy that). After I left, in about 2015 the school I went to starts offering Gracie Combatives and from what I understand Chuck said basically all his schools had to offer some type of Bjj training. Within about six months and a trip to Torrance the owner is a blue belt and is now a Gracie CTC. Flash forward to the present and hes a purple belt. I'm not trying to open a can of worms here but is that possible? I'm a newbie to bjj so what I thought was it takes years to accomplish?

2. Vince Millett

Vince Millett Haec manus inimica tyrannis MAP 2017 Gold Award

Although there is no universal governing body for BJJ, the IBJJF (which tries to act as one) suggests a minimum time at each belt level. Most teams/schools pretty much follow those guidelines because they make sense and help restrain McDojo syndrome.

It should take anyone a good few years to reach purple belt because BJJ belts are not only about the ability to beat other people in sparring but about a whole lot else besides.

The Gracie Combatives system goes against the majority of BJJ world in how it operates and a lot of BJJ people would be very dubious about its grading structure. That's a debate for elsewhere (I suspect a Google search will find terabytes of strongly held opinions on the subject...).

3. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

it used to be reasonably easy to get a GA blue belt, and very hard to get a GA purple belt, Theyve now tighened up how hard it is to get a blue, is the guy listed on the GA website?

If hes set up a CTC, they will have to host GA guys for seminars, go to train on intensive courses, and be rolling most days, so 3 years from blue to purple is definitely doable.

Last edited: May 22, 2017
  4. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

double post sorry

Last edited: May 22, 2017