a new twist on wrist locks!

Discussion in 'Brazilian Jiu Jitsu' started by Dead_pool, Apr 21, 2017.

1. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=WHPtTWZyt3U

This is quite a nice short intro on the rolling wrist lock entry of BJJ.

I actually often do something similar, but not as good when im messing about with new guys with past TMA experience.

Does anyone here have some good wrist lock set ups?

2. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

:D :p That makes me laugh because I would be one of those guys! In my vocabulary what he did here is "sheonage" or "shiho nage" (depends on who is spelling it).

But, yes, when I (very briefly) messed around with judo, I saw ikkyo and kotegaeshi all the time as grips were being attempted and stripped. The problem is that it's gone too quickly. The window of time to make a throw is very, very tiny, and the window of time to get an "aikido" thing was equally tiny. I could seldom make it happen because I couldn't do it quickly enough, but it was there. :( :(

Edit: Ack, I just realized this is in the BJJ-specific forum, not a general forum. My bad! But BJJ'ers sometimes begin on their feet! :)

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
    vaysh likes this.
  3. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Regularly!
    But in Nogi practise its often all about the wrestling takedown vs open guard pull / guillotine/kimura trap, and in gi practise its really about the guard pull vs guard pass.

4. Morik

Morik Well-Known Member Supporter MAP 2017 Gold Award

We drill takedowns regularly where I train BJJ, though usually only for a few minutes each class (and not every class). Occasionally a particular takedown will be the focus of an entire class or most of the class.

5. Vince Millett

Vince Millett Haec manus inimica tyrannis MAP 2017 Gold Award

I use wrist locks all the time on the ground. Of course the hand-bent-backwards locks are quite common if someone pushes into your chest but goose-neck wrist locks are much rarer. I get away with these because no-one expects them!

I use them sometimes as last-ditch escape attempt when caught in a triangle choke, too late to do a proper escape. Often, the other guy leaves a hand flapping free and with my free hand I grab it. His elbow is usually against the ground so I just close the angle on the wrist and push it towards the ground. I'd say that about 50% of the time it distracts him enough for me to loosen the triangle and work towards an escape. Occasionally it goes on hard enough to get a quick, panicked, tap.

I also occasionally manage to use kote gaeshi from my knees or in combat base as a sweep, simply making the other guy roll away from it. Once again, rarely are they expecting it.