Tiger,Crane, and Dragon question

Discussion in 'Kung Fu' started by benj, Feb 20, 2006.

1. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

go . . . Do . . . Pak . . . Mei

now!!!

2. Infrazael

Infrazael Banned Banned

What he said. :D

3. gwa_sau_chap

gwa_sau_chap New Member

I wasn't aware that CLF had such a form...is that a 2-man sparring form? Which branch of CLF has this form? (Just a curious question, not a challenge of knowledge)

4. TheDarkJester

TheDarkJester 90% Sarcasm, 10% Mostly Good Advice.

What my coonskin cap wearin southern brother from another mother said. :)

5. TheDarkJester

TheDarkJester 90% Sarcasm, 10% Mostly Good Advice.

Now being taught to advanced students part I can get.. Originally mantis was a high level style reserved for well.. high level students. Seeing as how you're going to NYC...

Have you looked at this school?
    http://www.pachitanglang.com/index.htm

*edit* And I'd just like to add one thing Benj. YOU SUCK!
    I wish I could go to NYC and have a taste of the smorgasborg of schools there. Once again. You = Suck. that is all. carry on :)

Last edited: Feb 23, 2006
  6. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

I've heard of this, but usually transcribed as 'guo shu', as in 'national art'.

I understood that this is a modern generic term for the martial arts of China - as distinct from 'wu shu' which is more of a stylised derivative of Chinese MA's.

7. Yohan

Damn right!

If you are mean, utilitarian, and want to have lots of fun, pak mei is probably purrrrrrrfect for you.

8. benj

benj New Member

Thanks for the compliment DJ. I feel very fortunate to be able to move there, especially with no baggage. One thing I should let everyone know is that I would be starting out as a beginner with any of the kung fu styles. Would you say that Pak Mei is more of an advanced style than Nothern Mantis styles? The Nothern Mantis styles really appeal to me from what Ive seen but Im not ruling any kung fu style out. Im going to have a couple of weeks down time when I move so I will be visiting schools, watching,asking questions. I really appreciate the input everyone has given. A couple of you are pushing the Pak Mei. I will go there and check it out. Hopefully schools like that take beginner students. Thanks.

9. PlumDragon

PlumDragon "I am your evil stimulus"

It might be worthy of futher disucssion, as I think we might be talking about 2 different things.

DFW. I dont study CLF though so I can only speculate as to the details.

10. PlumDragon

PlumDragon "I am your evil stimulus"

I dont think I would say pak mei is more "advanced" than Northern Mantis. You need to understand that when you say "Northern Mantis", you are talking about a body of martial arts that is among the largest systems on the planet, with probably 10 sub-styles of very substantial size each on their own; its a set of knowledge that is vast and far-reaching, much more ubiqutuous than what you will find in pak mei, in terms of ranges and techniques--this is either good or bad based on YOUR OBJECTIVE.

The problem with Northern Mantis is quality-control. Not that its necessarily "bad", but its certainly not as good as you will find in pak mei; your pak mei training will almost definitely be more intense and focused at the fighting aspects; but thats not a 100% sure bet...

I think I would probably push pak mei too, if there was no more info available than "Pick a style". But dont discount Northern Mantis without further investigation into both teachers...

11. Yohan

Damn right!

If you are mean, utilitarian, and want to have lots of fun, pak mei is probably purrrrrrrfect for you.

12. Morkeleb

Morkeleb Valued Member

Concerning many different styles...

I think there may be a misunderstanding or better yet difference in the way some of you percieve the styles.

My "school" or "style" of kung fu is "Five forms fighting". It's based on the five southern animals, dragon, tiger, snake, crane and panther. It also contains other distinct charachteristics, but my point is that I would call each of these animals a different style of kung fu.

Knowing five styles, the way I see things is not only possible but not even half way to the end goal. ;o) But if you think of my fighting system as a whole as the style I would be hard pressed to learn even one during my entire lifetime.

13. Blackdragon24

Blackdragon24 New Member

Sounds a lot like uechi ryu karate.

14. Dan Bian

Dan Bian Neither Dan, nor Brian

Wow... 11 years for that...

15. Tom bayley

Tom bayley Valued Member

I understand your use off the word style and off course you may use any language you wish to describe your own kung fu.

However to avoid confusion,I feel the need to point out that in general the words style and system tend to be used interchangeably.

e.g Hung gar is a style or a system. it contains five principle animals. These animals represent different ways of doing things, generating power applying technique, fighting. But these ways of doing things are not normally referred to as styles.

And yep there is a lot of kung fu to learn.