Can BJJ practitioners benefit from practising Japanese Jiu-Jitsu

Discussion in 'Brazilian Jiu Jitsu' started by GojuShotokan, Jan 29, 2017.

1. GojuShotokan

GojuShotokan Valued Member

I was wondering if a BJJ can benefit greatly from studying Japanese Jiu Jitsu.

I was thinking the BJJ practitioner may be able to improve their stand up along side potentially understanding more about some of the joint locks that are taught and possibly even develop some new techniques of their own through training in other Jiu Jitsu styles?

2. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

In theory, yes....In practice less so due to massive quality control problems inherent in JJJ

That said, find the right instructor or mix and they make a nice combo

3. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Yes, BUT i would definatly not include the majority of the dross taught as Western Jiujitsu.

Really in terms of stand up, Judo/sambo and wrestling are the go to arts.

Training in a Koryu Jujutsu definitely has a point (get it) to it, heres a good article about this -

http://www.grapplearts.com/submissi...-ju-jutsu-when-cultures-and-concepts-collide/

''Summary

The study of these different approaches to combative grappling can be a fascinating and rewarding undertaking. The classical approach emphasizes issues related to culture, history, and the perils of total combat. Modern Submission Grappling, on the other hand, offers a highly efficient training method to develop skills and proficiency in the techniques of combative grappling. It is the opinion of the authors that practitioners of both arts can benefit by being exposed to the other art and approach.''

4. Dunc

Dunc Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

Personally I like the combination of Traditional Japanese Jujutsu (TJJ) and BJJ, but it depends on what you want from your training

There is a shared history and I find it interesting to see where some of the techniques used in BJJ evolved from and to explore how one might apply the concepts/principles of TJJ to BJJ techniques/situations

If you want to strengthen your stand up game for comps then I'd go for Judo, Wrestling or Sambo - TJJ is a different thing

5. greg1075

greg1075 Valued Member

Some but not early enough to justify the time and money investment even if the instructor / training method are good, which as mentioned above are a major issue in western jjj. You would be much better served cross training in wrestling, Judo or Sambo if your goal is to be a better grappler; or in boxing, Muay Thai or kickboxing if it is to become a more complete fighter.

6. Vince Millett

Vince Millett Haec manus inimica tyrannis MAP 2017 Gold Award

Having recently started to have some intermittent contact with practitioners of non-Japanese but "traditional" jiu jitsu, I wish i could ask for names/schools etc. Guess I'll have to judge by observation.

I'm genuinely interested in various strands of Jiu Jitsu but I see a lot of bad, bad, stuff on YouTube, for example. I see a lot of what seems to be poorly executed judo with a few punches and roundhouse kicks thrown in.

7. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

sure, but i think the gains would be minimal in "fighting". maybe cultural and other items would be worth it.

but i would say, if someone wants to improve their standup, do judo. if someone wants to improve their striking, box.

not saying that i'm 100% right or that there can't be some benefit for some people. but for me, i would advise to just concentrate on judo to improve the standup for bjj.

8. Dead_pool

The majority of 'arts' connected to 'juko ryu' and the WJJF are absolutely awful, and make up 90% of the Jiujitsu scene.

9. Vince Millett

Have just done some Googling about them...blimey! A lot of bad stuff, going back a long time. And I thought BJJ had some silly politics at times...

10. Dunc

Dunc Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

No idea what Juko Ryu is, but their youtube clips are truly awful.....

@GojuShotokan - where are you based?
    There are several reputable places teaching TJJ in the UK

11. Dead_pool

Juko kai/ryu were the origins of the WJJF/BJJA, and as fraudulent as fradulent could be, theres even a documentary from the 80's of one of they're blackbelts going to japan and realising they had made the entire thing up!

12. Dead_pool

13. Vince Millett

That was interesting! I'm not sure much has changed....

Incidentally, when the Martial Arts Commission launched in the 70s, there was a big event at Crystal Palace Sports Centre. I was still at school and studying various martial arts but we had Aikido at school. They needed "runners" in the venue in case messages needed to be sent so I got to be right at the front, in the demonstration area itself. Didn't have to do anything and got to see the whole event close up.

I do recall being impressed with the ju jitsu at the time and also that there were some very high level Shorinji Kempo guys sitting in the stand right behind me where i could hear them talking. The ju jitsu was the only martial art demonstrated that they expressed any appreciation for. I wish I could remember who the ju jitsu performers were but I'm guessing it might have been Robert Clark or maybe Michael Finn.

14. Vince Millett

15. Dead_pool

16. Sandy

Sandy Valued Member

17. Dead_pool

^ Its another name for the WJJF.

18. righty

righty Valued Member

There can certainly be some benefit to it, however it will depend on exactly what you want to get out of it, and what you already learn through BJJ. There can be better choices depending on this.