Looking for a capoeira club

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by matveimediaarts, Dec 10, 2016.

1. matveimediaarts

matveimediaarts Underappreciated genius

I had the opportunity to try capo this week, as an instructor came by the neighborhood to give a sampler/demo class. I was really impressed by this, but he teaches prohibitively far away. :( Is there a way to find a capo club in my area that isn't in the phone book or major dojo locator sites(tried that, no success :( )? Thanks! :)

2. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

Why don't you contact the instructor and ask him?

PM Dormindo...he's MAP's Capo expert.

You could google using the various capoeira schools (CDO, Senzala, Axe etc).

Where exactly are you based?

3. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

if hes doing a sample class, he may be trying to judge interest before setting up classes, why don't you contact him?

Last edited: Dec 11, 2016
  4. matveimediaarts

Axe Capoeira (where the instructor is based) is too far for me to attend regularly. :( :bang: The class he teaches at PVCC isn't focused on Capo-it's called "Dance sampler: Brazilian Martial art/dance". It includes capo,Maculele, and Coco. I'm quite sure I want to focus on capo. In past sampler classes I've tried, I never had enough time to get particularly good at any of the dances.

5. Rand86

Rand86 likes to butt heads

All capoeira classes I've been to included maculele, samba, and what-have-you to some extent. Personally I could do without maculele (it eats at my knees way more than cap does) but them's the breaks.

Also, "Axe Capoeira" is an international group so you're not exactly narrowing it down for us. ;)

Dead_pool has a good point too - most instructors I know are happy to travel a fair bit if the interest's there, so contacting the guy and asking what he's planning is a pretty good idea.

6. Dead_pool

Id email the guy and let him know of your intetest, if hes doing sampler classes, its usually with a view to setting up regular classes.

7. Dead_pool

Have you tried here - its a twenty minute drive (thats really really close - even with public transport) from your most recently posted location - http://www.axecapoeira-az.com/classes/capoeira/

looks like Cap is on 5 days a week.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2016
  8. matveimediaarts

That place would cost me 20 USD each way to go to (I use uber/lyft). :bang: It looks like a good place, but I can't afford that. :cry:

9. Dead_pool

if you really want to do, it you will.

Couldnt you just cycle/bus/walk?

edit - Its on a main subway route too.

10. Vinny Lugo

Vinny Lugo Valued Member

Type in capoeira in your area into google or yelp

11. matveimediaarts

Can't cycle till I'm seizure-free for a year. :( :bang:

Subway? There are no subways in Arizona. (except for the restaurant chain by that name) The desert is a very different place than the rest of the country that way. Public transport generally is awful in Phoenix metro, really.:bang:

12. Dead_pool

13. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

Ya, I was chuckling at that comment, too. Subways in Phoenix? What website are you looking at? LOL!

It really sucks that all the good stuff is in Tempe. I hate that about Phoenix. :cry: :mad:

14. matveimediaarts

Update: will contact Axe Capoeira AZ today and try to find a place near me that is perhaps not listed yet. :)

15. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

The UFC Gym on 35th Ave and Greenway advertises a capo class. There's no schedule or cost, though, that I see on the website.

https://ufcgym.com/classes/capoeira
    (I think you have to type your zip code into the "View My Gym" field to get the Glendale location.)

16. matveimediaarts

It isn't offered at that club. :( The schedule is here: https://ufcgym.com/glendale/schedule The kickboxing looks like something I might try, though. :cool: Thanks!