Learning JKD from a book?

Discussion in 'Jeet Kune Do' started by idols11, Apr 6, 2015.

1. The Iron Fist

The Iron Fist Banned Banned

Brother I think you misunderstood me, I didn't mean drama and philosophy are the same thing, I meant specifically in Bruce Lee's case they were the same thing, or at least he (as a person) was a receptacle of both, a relatively unique blending of philosophy, drama, art, poetry, and martial discipline. I understand what you mean, but I was just talking in the context of Bruce Lee (I happened to use Shakespeare as an example because I am a big fan of Akira Kurosawa, who was also a huge fan of the Bard, and both of them happened to also combine drama, philosophy and even martial arts into their plays and films...some people consider Kurosawa's 'Throne of Blood' to be the best Macbeth film ever made :D digressing my apologies)

If you watch the interview Pierre Berton called it "Combining philosophy and art with sport" that that the West hadn't done much of that since ancient Greece.

In Bruce's case he could have alternately said "Combining philosophy and drama with martial sport", and that's what I was getting at with respect to Lee's education. From early Chinese philosophy to modern Western philosophy, to the dramatic arts, to martial sport, legendary action films, and stuntwork. Jeet Kune Do as a thing is really the outcome of Lee's specific journey down that path. So, maybe what I should have said instead of "what's the difference" could have been "to Bruce, there was no difference". And that was his thing, as evidenced in the interview and his notes and talks.

Severe discrimination, differentiation was what held back the classical arts, and I think that's no clearer than in his quote about 10,000 kicks vs 1 kick 10,000 times. Spending your whole life accumulating techniques, but never to take one and train it to the body's maximum potential.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2016