Stretching for high kicks

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Van Zandt, Aug 13, 2009.

1. Patrick Smith

Patrick Smith Tustom Cuser Uitle

You mean the adductor flyes?

Adductor flyes are an exercise Tom Kurz thought up to increase the strength of the adductor muscles. Just attach weight to your shoes/feet with ankle weights or weighted boots, lay on your back, spread legs directly above hips, close, spread, repeat. Control and steady tempo are essential.

Tom Kurz's website address is: http://stadion.com/

He has quite a few products and all of them are excellent. If you're interested in purchasing one of them, let me know and I can give you some extra info. I own quite a few of them. :)

2. Skizler

Skizler New Member

Oh cool thanks man. Wish I'd thought of that. I can find stuff around my house though that would work like the appropriate weights. Thanks for the info! :)

3. Patrick Smith

Patrick Smith Tustom Cuser Uitle

No problem. :)

4. PaulTKD

PaulTKD New Member

Fantastic thread and info.

Man, where was this thread 20-25 years ago. I havent done any formal MA training in at least 15 years. I'm fixin to start back. My 46 yo body has retained "some" flexibilty, but I have a long way back.

I should make a progress videos (j/k), it would be comical to say the least.

Where to start?

5. luke2052

luke2052 New Member

Such helpful threads I have never encountered in my life, thanks.

Couple of questions if I may though - Can the relaxed stretches be done solely in the evening workout? So the morning workout would only include waking up(I do consider that resistance training you know), joint rotations and leg swings. I'm assuming yes, but I thought I'd better confirm :)

My other question is, is the sitting down side split sort of stretch worth doing? In other words, the stretch being done in the final picture of the relaxed stretches, but sitting down rather than lying back to the floor, and stretching outwards as much as possible, while leaning forwards to increase resistance. Admittedly I experience some hip pain when I do this stretch, as if I'm stretching my hips.

Is it essentially the same as the isometric side split?

Thanks a bunch :)

6. mjl

mjl ITF Taekwon-Do (1st Dan)

Hi, the 2nd video in the first post no longer exists. Can anybody help update it with whatever it pointed to please? I'm keen to see the video if it's out there somewhere!

7. kickforlife

kickforlife New Member

Hello, everyone. Especially to Mr. Van Zandt.

I've been doing taekwondo & a little bit of capoeira for the past 20 years (although now semi-active only), while recently got hooked in tricking & gymnastics for acrobatics purpose. Regardless those styles, I always have interest in something that involve kicking & flexibility, in general. I'm also idolizing every figure and actor that infamous with their kicking ability, such as JCVD, Hwang Jang-lee, Tan Tao-liang, Yuen Biao, Donnie Yen, etc. So, you can see what kind of style I'm addicted to.

With 20 years of training, I can do splits & high kicks, but only if my body warm enough, with a lot of stretching. I've seen many people who can do splits as they please, with no warm up needed. Other than need to be warm enough, I have another obstacle. When doing middle/side splits with feet face down, I can't make my butt sit flat on the floor. From calf area up to the knees, there's no problem. But it always stuck in the groin area, which like I was saying, won't let me sit on the floor.

If my feet face up, I can let my butt sit, but it doesn't form a proper straight line, though. Another addition, I can't do frog stretch. I have no idea if the problem because of my groin area isn't flexible enough, bone structures, nor genetic issue.

Anyway, I think that'd be enough just for my small introduction, in order to get you the idea of my description. So, it happens that I found these posts of Mr. Van Zandt. I've been doing the methods for the past few days. Usually starting in the morning with joint rotations, skipping, dynamic stretches, splits, then finishing the sequences with relaxed stretches. I love doing bridge & sumo stretch, because the sumo helps me stretching the groin area to make me easier doing the splits.

My question is, which category does bridge & sumo count as? Which sequence should I put them in? Static-active? Isometric like the splits?

Any suggestion of routines that'd help me in the groin area, in order to let me finally able to sit my butt when doing splits?

8. Boykie

Boykie New Member

Hi Guys,

Is Mr. Van Zandt still active in the forum?

9. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

He certainly is :)

10. Boykie

Boykie New Member

LOL.

Facebook mentally - was instinctively looking to click 'like'.

I'm working on my flexibility/mobility and this thread is the best I've come across on the entire net.

If the book is out I'm ready to buy :).

Van Zandt likes this.
  11. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Hello there.

I appreciate your kind words.

Ha, the book... yes, it's been a very long work in progress. I'm currently doing work in Europe with ballet companies, completing postgraduate studies and dealing with health issues, so finding time to write is difficult. But all this experience will go into the book, making it better I suppose.

In the meantime, please continue posting any questions in this forum and I (and others) will answer them. :)

Knee Rider and Simon like this.
  12. Knee Rider

Knee Rider Valued Member Supporter

This thread is gold.

Van Zandt likes this.
  13. deevil

deevil New Member

mjl likes this.