Precious Gift Taken For Granted

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by 47MartialMan, Feb 9, 2015.

1. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

Yes. I retained vision quickly although I had to adjust to certain lights. Even after the other eye gets surgery (Oct 14th), both eyes still have to have monthly injections for retina healing

The surgery was fast and a lot easier than a eye examine. They used a scope that did not seem bright

2. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

The thought of injections in the eye just ...

[​IMG]

3. 47MartialMan

Yeah...you can actually feel the needle piercing...but no pain (if the eye was numbed enough)

4. belltoller

for god sakes man, no, no, no! lol

[​IMG]

5. 47MartialMan

YEAH...BUT THE DOC HAS A "TECHNIQUE"....HE COMES FROM THE "SIDE
    ...YOU DONT "SEE IT COMING"

6. belltoller

Wouldn't do me a bit of good - I've extraordinary peripheral vision.

They'd have to send it through the back of my head.

7. 47MartialMan

He cups his hand when coming from the side so your peripheral vision only sees a hand. he does "have his technique" perfected

8. belltoller

He better if he's gonna try the old "look, are your shoes untied?" on me thinking it opportune to run a syringe in my eyeball.

Just kiddin, of course.

Glad you found an ace surgeon for sure.

9. 47MartialMan

Only one thing;

One time I went, his assistant did not put enough "numbing drops" in one eye.

So when he stuck it, the pain was searing...

The best I could describe is a very worse tooth ache coming from the eye ball. around the eye socket, and searing on the side of the facr with a ear ring that will make your *&8* (insert) curl

Then he had the audacity to tell me "Keep Still"

Then when he realize his assistant did not put enough drops, he Mumbled a apology and told me to sit in the chair for awhile so he could re-inject.

I told him to forget it, I'll come back on another session

10. belltoller

Your description was enough to curl mine. You've better control than me.

Cor...If'n it'd been me, they'd of had an unconscious ophthalmologist on their hands.

I think I told you once what I did to my oral surgeon when he apparently struck a nerve - and I was under I.V. sedation as well as a half-dozen novacain shots...

11. 47MartialMan

I think the eye injection error was the worst pain I have ever felt. Being hit in the groin was pain, but you cam some what crawl in a fetal position, rub, and try to breathe to console. The eye, there was nothing to do

12. belltoller

Oh, I could manage something

[​IMG]

13. 47MartialMan

Had the surgery this past Wednesday...on the road to recovery

Still have to get monthly injections
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 16, 2015
  14. belltoller

For god's sakes man, is that your eyeball?

So this is the surgery for the other eye, then?

These monthly injections...do they go on indefinitely?

Glad you got through it okay.

15. KarateMum

KarateMum Valued Member

47MartialMan Mega Respect from me, between a hospital phobia a needle phobia and not being able to let an optician set a contact lens - I can do it myself, I think they would have to tie me down and practically knock me out to let them do that to me. If the alternative was loss of sight - well I expect I'd have to find a way around it, but heaven knows how. FWIW you sound a really brave person and I hope you can continue in that - best of luck with it I hope it all works out for you.

16. 47MartialMan

Not my eyeball, just a pic for drama purposes. :eek: Actually, my doctor, as I said in a previous post, has a unique technique that you will not see the needle "coming".

If you were given a choice, get injections or go blind....besides, a martial artist should be able to "endure", do you think?

17. KarateMum

KarateMum Valued Member

47MartialMan

Well, as I noted, I guess, given the alternative, that I'd find a way around it, but I do think I'd need help - I'd certainly try hypnosis or similar and then suggest that they severely pre-med me too.

Yes, I guess MA and we should endure, but me and white coats (long with buttons/press studs down the front) just don't get on. I needed a tooth pulled several years back and they had to do something called 'conscious sedation' for that. The dentist says the fear is real and I am unlikely to conquer it. The only time I've needed an op and to be knocked out I was climbing the walls after 3 pre-meds. 'Count to 10' didn't even appear in the finish they just went for it. If they had let me home I certainly wouldn't have gone back for the op. I can usually hold it together for about 10 minutes - so these days the dentist works fast under a dose of novacaine. I long to have this laser eye surgery and get shot of the specs, but I know it will never happen.

So when I say that I tip my hat to your stoicism and bravery 47MartialMan - I really DO!

18. 47MartialMan

Yeah, it took all of my efforts to sit in a chair, unstrapped, to get this done. The only meds they use are optical numbing drops