Hey.. Need som guidance here

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Harrybob, Dec 31, 2013.

1. Harrybob

Harrybob New Member

Yeah so I've finally started to take my fitness _relatively_ seriously, after 25 years of slouching and essentially in a constant state of denial about my own fitness level i.e. (fatness).

I've devised a "routine" that works for me. But first some background, I work 40 hours a week and I do have priorities that do go above exercising (I'm not intending to become a martial artists although I'm attracted to the training involved) which leaves me with little to no time to attend a proper gym. What I do, thus, is I have a set of exercises that I will haphazardly pick and choice from whenever I'm at home and circumstances be willing. This works fine for me and I have no interest in changing this. However, although I've done a fair bit of research of suitable exercises I fear that perhaps, in the end I'll end up with a severely asymmetric muscle distribution, SO the guidance of which I seek is complementary exercises that I can incorporate in this style of training, at home, at a beginner fitness level. But perhaps foremost, I'd like to know if my current scheme lends itself to a symmetric muscle distribution at all, is it "passable"?

The exercises that I do today is:

Pull-ups, 4 reps, i belive with proper form. Chin over bar.
    Chin-ups slightly more then pull-ups, not sure about my form actually.
    Recently added handstand push-ups (against a wall) I'll do 3 before I get scared.
    I do hanging leg raises (not completely straight due to inflexibility, working on this), usually do some arbitrary amount but I reckon I can do around 5 with decent form.
    I'm trying to do inverse crunches with leg raises but the form is all off for me. I can't get a fluid transition from right leg left shoulder to left leg right shoulder.
    Ab-Wheel roll-out, I'm doing these from my knees with no issue so I've started doing these standing and against a wall, concentrically. This is not going well so far.
    clapping push-ups around 10 but form starts to deteriorate at around 6, so normally I'll settle for less then that.
    I'll very occasionally do barbell curls 3x16kg
    Also I've been neglecting doing the plank because of lower back/torso pain but after Reading the forums I'm picking this one up, I suppose I can do close to a minute or so but said pain really limits me at the time. Safe to work through it?

Squats, I'm working on this, I know it's THE exercise to do but I'm actually only doing them with my barbells atm. In the interest of space i don't own a poper "squatting barbell". Also my knees crackle a bit which really throws me of. It sounds somewhat reminiscent of walking on gravel or glass perhaps.

I also have this (snapping hip syndrome?) hip issue where it'll make some weird noise during leg raises but this thread is getting a bit on the lengthy side allready so i'll come back to that in another thread perhaps.

Thanks for any insights to come, been a lurker on these forums for quiet some time, hello :)

2. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Welcome to MAP.

3. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

I will chime in here because I adore squats. The squat will kick your ass with or without weight if you do it properly. Hindu squats are fantastic for building muscular endurance and resolving weak knees (likely the cause of your 'gravelly' joints). Increase the reps cautiously however or else you may experience über DOMS.

4. flaming

flaming Valued Member

Hi Harrybob

I used have snapping hips but this seems to have stopped it.
    http://anthonymychal.com/2011/11/how-to-cure-snapping-hip-syndrome-2/

Planks shouldn't cause pain. Think about a hollow position with your glutes tensed hard enough to break wallnuts. Aim for quality not volume or time.
    Squats do the quads, deadlifts do the glutes and hamstrings. For deadlifts read and implement information about the hip hinge for squats try goblet squats.

5. bodyshot

bodyshot Brown Belt Zanshin Karate

I have too comment here. Keep in mind this is just my opinion. First I gotta say I think you have a great attitude about fitness and martialarts and if you hang in there for that first year your gonna be great.
    Like you I'm a big fan of home training, for me it's the fact that I don't have a lot of time or money to spend on gyms. I looked at your routine and I guess as long as it works for you then that's fine, me personally I have a little different routine that I do, if your interested I could send it over to you.

6. marinevet63031

marinevet63031 Hapkido/Koryo Gumdo/TKD

hey bro,
    You have to define a goal. What is it you want to accomplish? If you want I would love to help you. I am a disabled bodybuilder and martial artist.