8 week Weight Lifting programme

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Gripfighter, May 20, 2012.

1. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

im 5.9 or so around about 64/65 kg (60 kgs is more like 8 stone mate lol), why is this important ? im naturally light not malnourished lol I just lift the amount of weight a person at 65 kgs should be lifting not someone at 70kg or 80 or 90 etc common sense right ?

2. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

I will be posting a slight revision tomorrow, with the accessory work I decided to go for, some tinkering based on peoples advice, then hopefully thats me ready, some serious broomstick work tomorrow and wednesday for technique then I begin on thursday.
    will do

3. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

no, else everyone at a certain weight would lift the same amount. you lift what you can, you rest, then you lift a bit more (or the same, or less, if you're already past linear progression and need a more complex program). other factors like the shape of your body and the distribution of your muscle development will affect your lifts as well. people with long femurs tend to have trouble squatting, whereas people with short legs have much more lower back stress while deadlifting, whereas short people with long arms can deadlift like their lives depended on it. then again if your abs or lower back are weak, you're not gonna deadlift much even if your thighs and arms are big enough to make you weight a lot. also 8 stone is just under 51 kg :p

4. cloystreng

cloystreng Valued Member

I was just meaning that I did not successfully convert stones into kg or lbs. Here in the US we use lbs but as a weightlifter, kg is easier for me when discussing weightlifting.

I am actually more interested in what your lifts are relative to your weight than what you weigh. Which is why a stone comparison was confusing for me - because weight lifted is never measure in stones except in strongman but thats not the same :p.

5. icefield

icefield Valued Member

lol you probably wont read this after my rant on the headbutting thread but

Looks like you have put a lot of thought into the programme, for me if you are training twice a week whole body days are a good idea and over 8 weeks a simple perodization programme running from setf of 7 in the first wek to sets of three in the final week, with a reduced volume in the middle for recovery is the way to go BUT the best thing to do is run with the programme you have created, we all have personal preferences to how we like to plan our workouts but
    1) We are all different with different work capacities, strength levels and recovery levels and most importantly
    2) no one here is that good that you should take their word as gospel lol

6. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

I agree with icefields. the longer you discuss a program the longer it'll take for you to get on one. get on a program do it for 8 weeks then see your progress.
    theres no such thing as a perfect program and everyone like to split differently.

Here's the strength standards that you can compare progress at the end of the cycle
    http://www.exrx.net/Testing/WeightLifting/StrengthStandards.html

7. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

wouldnt call it a rant.

ill be starting on thursday no matter what

8. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

W1

Power Clean (3x3 1st month, 3x5 for second)
    Deadlift (3x5 1st month,5x5 second)
    Overhead Press (3x5 1st month, 5x5 second)
    Kettle Bell Swings 2/3x8-10
    Unweighted Pull ups 3x 8-10

W2

Power Cleans
    Squat
    Bench Press
    One Armed Dumbell Row
    Turkish Get Up

something like that or still to much volume ?

9. Mangosteen

looks good tbh

just make sure you're resting enough between sets and exercises

10. GrappleorWrestle

GrappleorWrestle Valued Member

Good to hear that you will be starting soon, cannot wait to see your gains.

11. seiken steve

seiken steve golden member

i liked the first one and i like the second one, either way the most improtant things are: you add weight to the bar and you can recover adequetly between sessions.

read and re read icefields post too, its golden, a smiple idea like starting the decending reps will make you nice and strong.

12. icefield

icefield Valued Member

a simple way to moderate volume is to do 75% of the volume on the second day as you did on the first day. SO if you did 4 working sets of the squat on monday when you were fresh and rested do 3 sets Thursday this helps avoid burn out, its what guys like joel jamision have there pro fighters do when on a strength cycle

13. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

14. Mangosteen

Icefield was talking about descending the reps over the weeks while increasing resistance.
    this is a pretty simple formula for it, if it helps:
    Week 1 3x5 (15 total)
    Week 2 4x4 (16 total)
    Week 3 5x3 (15 total)
    Week 4 4x2 (8 total)

you increase intensity but also have the rest in between sets

15. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

awrite guys im two weeks done on this programme now and am progressing nicely adding about 5kg to the bar each session for every lift but the deadlift (adding between 5-10kg) and have a question, as the power clean is the only lift I do twice a week should I add weight to the bar in both sessions or just once a week. Iv been doing the first one up until now and have got my power clean to 50 kg but I struggled and actually thought I was going to stall but I managed to do the last too sets pretty well. So from here on out is adding 5kg to the bar twice a week to big an ask ?

16. cloystreng

cloystreng Valued Member

For the power clean, its important that the bar speed remain fast. If that means smaller increments, no problem. I'd slow the progression down for that lift.

17. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

definitely going to mate couldn't clean 52.5 kg (115 pounds) to save myself tonight so I just went back down to 50 (the weight I struggled with last week) and felt much better with it.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2012
  18. GrappleorWrestle

GrappleorWrestle Valued Member

It's always good to check the ego at the door. I have known a few lifters that let their ego get in the way and ended up progressing slower than others that just took their time.

Keep up the good work and keep us informed.

19. Saved_in_Blood

Saved_in_Blood Valued Member

I'm with many of the others here in that I would add weight to the pull ups. The 12 reps are great that you can do them (not a lot of people can) and of course remember the wider the grip, the more you use the lats rather then have the biceps doing more of the work... close grip pull ups are a great way to add mass to your biceps as well, but that's another topic.

There are a few schools of thought and you MUST be careful with your grip when it comes to pull ups... the lats are important no doubt, but as others have said bent over rows and such are going to tend to be a bit more useful. Pull-ups are impressive, but they don't always show true strength... much like the guy that walks around at the gym, roided to the hilt and has this huge upper body and little stick legs. What they fail to realize (and yes i'm getting off on a rant here) is that the majority of your power AND muscle mass is in your lower body. It is also a FACT that working your legs raises test levels which can make one stronger. Anyway... useful, time saving, compound movements are ALWAYS best. If you want to be a bodybuilder then sculpt on other days, but for pure power always do compound movements.

Back to your back lol. Unless you're on Ninja warrior, pull-ups are not going to do much for you in the way of pure strength which is why the others have suggested the bent over barbell rows, the lat pull downs, or weighted pull ups... do a weight that you can do no more than 5 times... typically 5x5 is always a good workout.

Much of the rest of your plan does look like a good one though.